Peters Bros. Raiders scene styles UPDATED W/ PICS!!

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Bdgsi11
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Peters Bros. Raiders scene styles UPDATED W/ PICS!!

Post by Bdgsi11 »

Hello everyone. I have a Peters Bros. raven bar style fedora that should be arriving at the end of this month, May. I was wondering though, does anyone have a Peters Bros. raiders fedora styled after any particular scene? If so, what scene and could you please post some pictures. :D ;)
Last edited by Bdgsi11 on Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: Peters Bros. Raiders scene styles

Post by DR Ulloa »

All the PB Raiders hats I've seen just have a generic Raiders crease and are not scene specific. I think thats the best way to get a fedora becuase you can put your own touch to it so it becomes your own Raiders hat and and not Harrison Ford's Raiders hat.

Dave
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

I agree, though you can tell them exactly what scene you want, and they can and do duplicate it directly from a frame grab. They've done that for years....but a 'generic' verision is best.

Regards! Michaelson
thecoolmiester
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by thecoolmiester »

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=38133

here is a link to my topic about my PB.
and there are pics.

my PB is not styled to any particular scene but to me all PB
Raiders look a like regardless of what scene they are.

dont ferget to post pics of yur PB raiders, k?
Bdgsi11
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bdgsi11 »

Thanks for the post. My hat should be arriving this week and I will definitely post some pics as soon as I figure out how. :-k
indyjonesstudent1
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by indyjonesstudent1 »

I used to have one before I got my christys which I think is a whole lot better than the pb. I got it withen 3 WEEKS Personally it doesnt make a great raiders hat. the christys is a perfect raiders. :D
rrhanselka
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by rrhanselka »

I have a PB Stiff Beaver Blend in a generic Indy bash. It is a GREAT hat, except for the severe taper. Does anyone know if a reblock can solve this problem?

Randall
Bdgsi11
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bdgsi11 »

When you say, "generic Indy bash," do you mean Raiders style? Also, how long have you had the hat?
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

rrhanselka wrote:I have a PB Stiff Beaver Blend in a generic Indy bash. It is a GREAT hat, except for the severe taper. Does anyone know if a reblock can solve this problem?

Randall
Send that hat off to John Penman. He'll make it look better than when you first received it.

Dave
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

rrhanselka wrote:I have a PB Stiff Beaver Blend in a generic Indy bash. It is a GREAT hat, except for the severe taper. Does anyone know if a reblock can solve this problem?

Randall
I received a PM from Joe Peters, Randall, and he said that he'd be MORE than happy to fix your taper problem. Just send the hat back.
Heck, you're IN Texas. Just carry it back and walk in the shop for that matter!

A piece of free, friendly advice to all, and from many years of personal experience...be it PB, Penman, Steve Delk, Marc Kitter....no matter who the vendor is, your very best option is to always go back to the vendor you purchased your custom hat from to fix a problem. THEY made the hat. THEY service what they sell, and are there to help you in any way they can to make you and KEEP you a happy customer, as they're always hoping for repeat business. They also take great pride in what they do and the product they make, and honestly want to know what occured to cause you a problem that they can fix and/or adjust for future work. There may or may not be a charge involved. Each situation can be different.

If you are not satisfied with the service after making the attempt, THEN consider looking elsewhere.

(It can also be a bit of a slap to an original hat maker when you take his custom creation to another vendor without contacting them first to fix a problem. Keep in mind, just about ALL our hatmakers are members here, and even though they may not post much, they read the forums on a fairly regular basis.)

Regards! Michaelson
rrhanselka
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by rrhanselka »

Thanks to Michaelson and all, especially Joe, Sr. at Peters Brothers.

Let me reiterate. I love this hat. It is the Stiff Beaver Blend, fits perfectly, hard as a helmet, great brim, and tall crown. I would, however, prefer a little more of a stovepipe profile from the front view. I also love the side profile. Of all my hats, the PB is among my favorites. I have at least one hat, maybe two, from most of the vendors who market an Indy style hat, and whose products we discuss on this forum. Peters Brothers products and organization are first class and share the top echelon of vendors with Adventurebilt, Penman, and others. My experiences with some of the others haven't been so pleasant, but that's another story.

Another aside, for Michaelson and others, is that although I am in Texas, as is Peters Brothers, I am located along the Texas coast between Houston and Corpus Christi. PB is in Fort Worth, approximately 350 miles from me. Although I do get to Fort Worth occasionally, "dropping my hat off" may not really work out. I think I'll send it USPS Priority.

Thanks again to Michaelson, Joe Sr., and all my friends at COW.

Randall Hanselka
Victoria, TX
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Absolutely, and understand the distance. Joe told me the same thing when I spoke to him. :lol:

Yep, Joe can fix that just fine.

Anyway, like I told you via PM, I was glad to do it, as it gave me an excuse to get in touch with my old friend Joe Peters anyway. I hadn't talked to him in a while, and was able to do so in an 'un-official' manner.... :M: :tup:

Regards! Michaelson
Bdgsi11
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bdgsi11 »

Hi everyone. I just received my new Raiders PB yesterday, May 29, but do not know how to post any pictures of it. Do I need to have a photobucket account of some sort? If someone can help me with this, I will post some pics right away. Thank you.
ichnob
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by ichnob »

Yeah, you need an internet photo hosting site like photobucket, imageshack or flickr. They'll usually have a setting that allows you to already crop the size of your photos so that they'll fit under the regulation size for this site.
Bdgsi11
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bdgsi11 »

Last edited by Bdgsi11 on Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

Nice! :tup:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Sharp!! :M: :tup:

HIGH regards! Michaelson
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Hey that PB is the best looking one I have ever seen! I am not knocking them, by saying this, as I bought 4 or 5 of them back when Joe Jr. was with his dad. To me, it looks like they changed the blocks used to create these Raider fedoras. That block shape is superiour to what they used to use. I am impressed. Fedora
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

From what I've heard from Joe Sr. in the past, Steve, they have just about every block PB ever used from 1917 on stashed in the basement and attic of their shop. I bet you'd think you died and gone to Heaven if you were allowed to root around in their storage areas.... :lol:

Regards! Michaelson
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

From what I've heard from Joe Sr. in the past, Steve, they have just about every block PB ever used from 1917 on stashed in the basement and attic of their shop. I bet you'd think you died and gone to Heaven if you were allowed to root around in their storage areas....

Regards! Michaelson

OH, I could spend hours down there in rapture. There is no telling what he has, that you can no longer buy, in tools. And that is where I think Joe JR. found those mercury beaver bodies he made hats from and sold them for around 1200 bucks. Pyro bought one. I wish I would have at the time. A mercury beaver body. I would almost kill for one.

I also would imagine Joe Sr. has forgotten more about hatting than I ever learned. So much of the trade secrets have been lost, or are held so close to the vest, us new hatters don't even know them. Especially when you move outside the Indy fedora market. There used to be so many different finishes to hats, several options, and I only know how to do two. So, when I get bragged on about my work, I never get a big head. Because I know compared to the old guys, I am still a greenhorn, and may never ever know all of the trade secrets. I have no delusions about that. But, I do think I make a better hat than a factory hat, if you consider the entire hat. And that is all I ever wanted to do. I would love to be able to get into other types of hats, just for the variety and fun in making them.( I used to do a few before the Indy 4 gig) But, my future will forever be tied to the CS fedora. But I ain't complaining. Fedora
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

what two finishes can you do, Steve? -M
mikemietlicki
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by mikemietlicki »

Beautiful new hat!
Bdgsi11
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re: Peters Bros. Raiders scene styles UPDATED W/ PICS!!

Post by Bdgsi11 »

Thanks for all the comments guys. I will probably post some more pictures shot from different angles later. :)