I'll put this down Whip 1 Me 0

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

Raider Of The Lost Ark
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

I'll put this down Whip 1 Me 0

Post by Raider Of The Lost Ark »

I have just tried my first whip, for the first time. It is MUCH harder than it looks. I got a few cracks out of it, but in the main I hit myself or got no sound. When I tried a side flick I ALWAYS hit myself and can't work out why. Also when I just flick the whip forward, like in the Mid West You Tube clip, I don't always get a crack, well I don't get one FAR more than I do. Can anyone help me? I've a 10ft whip if that helps in any way.

Also should I learn with both arms as I go? It is clear I will need to build strength in my whipping wrist / shoulder. However if I only ever use one arm will one side end up looking different, physically, just like the physique of those who used to use the old English long bow?

I'm not sure if I'm making any sence so if anyone is confused please ask and I'll try and be clearer. Oh and it WAS a lot of fun, even hitting myself. :D
bobm2004
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Re: I'll put this down Whip 1 Me 0

Post by bobm2004 »

I started cracking just under a year ago and the first week were somewhat frustrating as more often then not I did not get a crack, or like you got a crack in the back of the head!

I would recommend picking up one of the start instruction videos, like Whip Basics Vol 1 and it will help a lot. I believe forum friends Midwest Whips sells the DVD.

Other than that its practice. And do wear eye protection and a hat!
Raider Of The Lost Ark
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Yeah I had goggles! I'm waiting for the third Whip Basics DVD and hope to get a pack of all three. :whip:

I watched the Mid West whips '2 basic cracks' turorial on you tube, and others. I thought that explained the basic principles enough..... I was wrong. I'ld love to get the side flick sorted but am a 'little' scared now as I've yet to get it passed me without slamming the whip into my head. :lol:
hollywood1340
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by hollywood1340 »

Having a basic foundation of safety when you start is crtical. I'm a fan of the "Railroad Track" approach. You're always inside the tracks, the whip outside. When you start fearing, not respecting, the whip, bad things happen. It is a dialogue and takes time to learn. Start low, start slow. Find out what the whip is telling you and move in steps allowing yourself to take a step back if needed. Stay safe, practice :)
Raider Of The Lost Ark
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Thanks Hollywood. With the side flick I feal as if I don't have 'control' of the end of the whip, or at least am starting off with the end in the wrong place. I throw my hand out round the side but the end still does not manage to get passed my head without contact :-k
Marhala
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Marhala »

Raider Of The Lost Ark wrote:I have just tried my first whip, for the first time. It is MUCH harder than it looks. I got a few cracks out of it, but in the main I hit myself or got no sound. When I tried a side flick I ALWAYS hit myself and can't work out why. Also when I just flick the whip forward, like in the Mid West You Tube clip, I don't always get a crack, well I don't get one FAR more than I do. Can anyone help me? I've a 10ft whip if that helps in any way.

Also should I learn with both arms as I go? It is clear I will need to build strength in my whipping wrist / shoulder. However if I only ever use one arm will one side end up looking different, physically, just like the physique of those who used to use the old English long bow?

I'm not sure if I'm making any sence so if anyone is confused please ask and I'll try and be clearer. Oh and it WAS a lot of fun, even hitting myself. :D

Hi Raider, you WILL see your biceps growing and puffing after working out with your whip. I know mine grew... 8) It is not a bad idea to use both hands now that your starting. In my mind I think it will be easier for you to learn right away instead of waiting until you're good with your dominant arm. Remember that the whip being new, and stiff, it will be difficult to crack, but break it in easily. Let it loosen at its own pace.

Surely, flicks are easier (and not as scary as those cracks where you swing and then cut back :shock: ). Something that helps when you do the side flick is that after it rolls out in front of you, you should gently pull the whip up and into you. That way it will continue swinging to your opposite side but up, and to the back. Then you can just lay it in the ground safely.
Raider Of The Lost Ark
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Marhala wrote:
Raider Of The Lost Ark wrote:I have just tried my first whip, for the first time. It is MUCH harder than it looks. I got a few cracks out of it, but in the main I hit myself or got no sound. When I tried a side flick I ALWAYS hit myself and can't work out why. Also when I just flick the whip forward, like in the Mid West You Tube clip, I don't always get a crack, well I don't get one FAR more than I do. Can anyone help me? I've a 10ft whip if that helps in any way.

Hi Raider, you WILL see your biceps growing and puffing after working out with your whip. I know mine grew... 8) It is not a bad idea to use both hands now that your starting. In my mind I think it will be easier for you to learn right away instead of waiting until you're good with your dominant arm. Remember that the whip being new, and stiff, it will be difficult to crack, but break it in easily. Let it loosen at its own pace.

Surely, flicks are easier (and not as scary as those cracks where you swing and then cut back :shock: ). Something that helps when you do the side flick is that after it rolls out in front of you, you should gently pull the whip up and into you. That way it will continue swinging to your opposite side but up, and to the back. Then you can just lay it in the ground safely.
I think it has already hit my head / back before it has a chance to 'roll out in front of me........
LemonLauren
Vendor

Post by LemonLauren »

The sidearm flick was the hardest for me to learn, and definitely took the longest. I guess this just shows how everyone is different - some people learn that one first, and think it's the easiest! #-o

Anyways, it sounds like you're having the same problem I had with the sidearm.

First, keep on doing it the "dragging off the ground way" (like in our video) so that you can continue to develop a feel for where the crack happens, how straight forward the whip has to move, and when to give you wrist the little flick at the end.

Second, what it sounds like is happening is that when you're pulling the whip behind you for the "wind-up," it's not going straight behind you. Sounds like it's going behind you then continuing to cross your body while it's behind you (which is why when you try to bring it forward, you're trying to pull it through your body so of course it's going to hit you in the back or the head). The thing is, I know it feels like you're pointing and dragging the whip straight back, and not angling it... but it sounds to me like you are. How to fix this? First, go really REALLY slow, and actually turn your head (not your whole body, just your head) so you can watch the tip of your whip as you are swinging it back. Try just doing the swing back "wind-up" without pulling it forward first, and make sure the fall isn't crossing over behind your back when it's behind you. Then when you're satisfied you're doing it straight (still all the while keeping your eyes glued to the tip of the whip), go ahead and pull it forward.

There was a period of a couple weeks when I was first learning the sidearm crack where I could only do it without hitting myself if my head was turned so that I could watch to make sure my wrist was pointing the thong straight behind me. But having to turn my head every time was starting to drive me a bit nuts (not to mention I was sure it didn't look cool), so I had to figure out a way to make my wrist (and therefore the whip) behave without my visual supervision. What ended up working for me was tricking myself. I concentrated and told my arm and wrist to point the whip behind and angled a little bit away from my body on the "wind-up." I figured that if my wrist interpreted "straight back" as "angled slightly behind and across my body," then maybe it would translate "angled slightly away from my body" into "straight back." Well, it worked! And in time and with a lot of practice I stopped needing to trick my arm into doing things or supervise it... muscle memory is a wonderful thing.

I hope that helps you a little bit. I remember how frustrating not being able to get that darned flick was! ](*,) Also, if you want to be ahead of the game, I'd definitely suggest working on both arms as soon as possible. But I wouldn't worry about one arm becoming massively more muscular than the other unless you practice several hours a day, lol. Once you get better at cracking, you'll notice it becomes much less of a workout...

Good luck, and have fun. If anything I wrote doesn't make sense, just ask me and I'll try to clarify or re-word it.

Lauren Wickline
http://www.midwestwhips.com
Greengo
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Greengo »

Hi all!!! I am new here, (less than a month). I was reading about your trouble doing the "flick". I have only been using a whip for the last 2 months. I finally mastered the "flick" today. For me that was a "Wah Hoo" moment. I am 62, and I have arthritis. My advice, "keep at it, it will come"!!!

As of today I can do the "circus crack", the "overhead crack", the "slow figure eight", and now the "flick". Not bad for a disabled old f_ _ t!!! Again, "keep at it, it will come"!!!
scavoj
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by scavoj »

Tundrarider wrote:Anthony De Longis was the whip trainer for KotCS. He is an awesome whipmaster and martial artist. He taught Indy a whole new style.

Anyhow, I ordered his whip DVD's and am very impressed with his method. He takes you from the very basics and builds upon it slowly. He uses the "railroad tracks" method mentioned above to keep your body in a safe zone.

He also teaches classes on his ranch if you are interested and financially able.

I recommend the DVD series highly...AND safety glasses!

Michael
Michael,

How did you order Anthony's DVDs? I sent him and Mary an Email a while back but got no reply.

Thanks,
Joe
ravencrow
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ravencrow »

my first time taking out a whip, i had a crappy whip to begin with and i got so ticked off i threw the whip one way and my hat the other swore a few time and got back at it. my first crack was an over head crack and then a cattlemans crack,.... just keep at it and don't be a wussy it'll come. it's almost a feel for it once you feel it you got it.
hollywood1340
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by hollywood1340 »

Marhala wrote: Hi Raider, you WILL see your biceps growing and puffing after working out with your whip. I know mine grew... 8) It is not a bad idea to use both hands now that your starting. In my mind I think it will be easier for you to learn right away instead of waiting until you're good with your dominant arm. Remember that the whip being new, and stiff, it will be difficult to crack, but break it in easily. Let it loosen at its own pace.

It's the same crack, on different planes. Nothing changes. Keep that in mind and nothing will :D
Jens_Hoppe
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Jens_Hoppe »

Heh, I had my second ever whipcracking session today, and like Raider I had a go at the sidearm flick. I never did get a proper crack out of that flick (close once or twice, though), but I did manage to hit myself across my legs, the lower back, the neck, and the back of my head repeatedly (and the wrist a couple of times, and the throat once...!). Next time I am gonna wear my thickest leather jacket AND a hat when training that particular flick! :oops:

I believe my problem was the one Lauren explained - that when swinging the whip back, it somehow curls a bit around me, and I end up trying to draw it straight through me when flinging it forwards. Ouch.

Room for improvement, but great fun nonetheless!
Indiana County Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana County Jr. »

Jens,
Try to film yourself while you are practicing, that way you can see what the whip is doing that leads to it hitting you like it does. It makes a world of difference, believe me, I would never have seen the mistakes I was making when I first started without it. Also, these techniques take time to learn, as Hollywood said, once you get it straight about the planes, it will become alot easier.

Crack On! :whip:
Allen