Where to find...

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

pfcyoung
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Where to find...

Post by pfcyoung »

does anybody here know where i could possibly find a 4 Plait Bullwhip? Possibly made from Roo? I would like to get "real" whip (outside of Nylon of course) because i want something cheap(ish) and something i know can take a "Whippin" (bad pun I know :lol: )
IndianaBravo
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: Where to find...

Post by IndianaBravo »

Check Ebay, although roo in a 4 plait will be hard to find...
Bernardodc
Vendor

Post by Bernardodc »

Check Louie's "in stock" page. He's got a few 4 plait cowhide budget whips there. They seem to fit your criteria for a "real" whip that can take a beating:

http://bullwhips.org/bullwhip_store/vie ... ?groupid=4

Regards,

Bernardo
louiefoxx
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by louiefoxx »

I have a few 4 plait cowhide whips IN STOCK and occasionally I make a 4 plait roo like this one (4 foot):
I made that particular whip for myself to do a specific trick where I needed the strength and durability of the thicker strands.

If you really wanted a 4 plait roo I could make one (PM me for more info). I think the reason there aren't a lot of whipmakers doing a 4 plait roo whip is that you need a larger roo skin to cut around with the wider strands. I'd be tempted to cut an 8 foot whip with the overlay first (out of the stretchy part of the skin) so that the wider strands had bigger curves to go around, then cut the bellies out of the nicer center of the skin. It almost seems like a waste to do it that way...or just cut it out of two hides.

xoxo

Louie
http://bullwhips.org
Marhala
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Marhala »

But, doesn't the leather thickness have to do with the resistance to abrassion. Usually cowhide whips end in less stranded points, as well as thicker leather? Anyone?
louiefoxx
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by louiefoxx »

The width of the strand will help with durability. I made that particular 4 plait kangaroo whip for dealing cards with. When I do that I'm hitting the cards with the thong of the whip. I tried with with a 12 plait whip, but the edges of the card were causing little dings in the edges of the strands (not good!).

So with wider strand it's still going to get little nicks in the edges, but since less of the surface area of the thong of the whip is the edge of a strand with a lower plait count, it's going to be more durable for that particular application.

I think a 4 plait would also be more durable than a 12 or 16 plait over concrete for the same reason, there's less edges to get dinged. Once the edge of a strand gets cut it can start to tear and with a thinner strand the tear doesn't have to travel far.

If you are just dragging the whip on concrete or cracking the whip into concrete then the thickness of the leather would be a factor in its durability.

xoxo

Louie
http://bullwhips.org
Marhala
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Marhala »

Great insight, Louie!!! Never thought on the other things you talked about. Many thanks!

-Aldo :D