J Crew redwings, anyone?

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

hoose55
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

J Crew redwings, anyone?

Post by hoose55 »

I know the boot du jour is Alden around these parts. However, did anyone purchase the vintage redwings J Crew was offering in their past catalog? they're two hundred dollar boots, and they look terrific! Perhaps not screen accurate, but definitely worth some attention. Anyway, I was considering springing for them but I wanted to see how they wear (i.e. comfort, fit.)
Any input is appreciated, as always.
J-
Browncoat
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re: J Crew redwings, anyone?

Post by Browncoat »

I have seen them in person. They are great boots but because of the sole they are also more clunky then the Aldens. Still, I wouldn't mind getting a pair for everyday wear.

I hear J Crew will also be offering Aldens pretty soon.
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

Here's a link to a shot of me wearing mine with the rest of my gear.

http://pitfall-harry.deviantart.com/art ... 7-88873723

I have to agree they're a little clunky. They aren't the lightest boots in the world either. I don't think they're very comfortable but that could be because I've hardly worn them and they still need broken in.

I didn't pay full price for these either and that's why I jumped at the chance and bought them. They're probably the closest "off the rack" Indy boots you'll ever find and they are certainly built to last.

I recently purchased some boots from Todd's because I wanted something that looked more SA but I've still got these and I still plan on using them with my gear for the more "rugged adventures".... ;)

I don't think you'd be disappointed IF you purchased a pair.
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

i got the 'iron ranger' redwings in the hawthorne leather, see viewtopic.php?f=16&t=39354.

great boots but took a couple days longer than aldens to break in......these boots remind me of indy 'work boots' and the aldens are indy 'dress boots' ;) :D

the company doesn't skimp on the quality. i'm quite happy with them. i wouldn't be hesitant on buying another model....if i needed another pair of boots :roll:
hoose55
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by hoose55 »

Thanks for the input everyone! Pitfall Harry, those boots look great, as well as the rest of your gear. How did you get them at a discount and may I inquire how much of a discount? They are clearly a heavier boot than Aldens, however, they look as though they may be really sturdy work/ hiking boots, after some breaking in, of course. That last sentence is more of a question even though I put it in the form of a statement.
J-
-Oh, I forgot to say, It was Indiana G that sent me off on this quest. I saw the Iron Rangers you posted and have been looking at those and the JCrew style boots ever since. Those boots are awesome, great find!
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

I found the boots for sale at one of those "shoe stores" on Ebay. I think I paid around $130 for them..... I'd have to search for the receipt to know for sure. :-k

IF you do go and buy them I'd recommend buying some gel inserts until you really break the boots in. ;)
indynoob2009
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by indynoob2009 »

Pitfall Harry wrote:I found the boots for sale at one of those "shoe stores" on Ebay. I think I paid around $130 for them..... I'd have to search for the receipt to know for sure. :-k

IF you do go and buy them I'd recommend buying some gel inserts until you really break the boots in. ;)
very nice boots, whats the modelnumber called ?
Connecticut Jones
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Connecticut Jones »

I have the same boots as Pitfall Harry, I purchased them on eBay for about $90 shipped (I almost felt like the legendary Sumgai, as in "Sumgai was just here and purchased an Adventurebilt Fedora, US wings goatskin jacket and Joe Strain whip all for $15").

Once broken in, I found the boots to be very comfortable, however, it did take some hard use for them to break in.

I can't imagine you would be overly disappointed with these boots.

connecticut jones
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

Browncoat wrote:
I hear J Crew will also be offering Aldens pretty soon.
Great.:roll: Yuppies rocking our gear. :roll:
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

indynoob2009 wrote:
Pitfall Harry wrote:I found the boots for sale at one of those "shoe stores" on Ebay. I think I paid around $130 for them..... I'd have to search for the receipt to know for sure. :-k

very nice boots, whats the modelnumber called ?

Here's a link to the J.Crew site where the boots I own are sold. I'm not sure of the model number.

http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Browse/MensBro ... /88346.jsp

HAhhah......And, I just noticed these. It looks like they're offering this style of boot "distressed" now.......Gee, I wonder where they got the idea to do that from? :-k

http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Browse/MensBro ... /11300.jsp

Tundrarider wrote:Pitfall Harry'

Outstanding Indy! You are living proof that "the man makes the clothes!" I admire you for showing the boots with your complete gear. This is so much better than a mere photo of a pair of boots. It says even more about you to strike an adventurous pose. This is what this crazy obsession is really about; at least for me...the fun of being Indy.

Your fedora is perfect...Who made it?

Again, you're the (Indy) man!

Michael

Thanks, Michael......That was very nice of you to say that.

Hahah....I used to have shots of just the boots but I couldn't find them so I just posted a link to that pic.

I have to agree that it's better to see the boots or any other gear on someone and being used instead of just getting a shot of the gear by itself.

That being said, a lot of the time people want to see stuff right away and it's easier just to grab the camera and take a quick pic of the gear sitting on a table or something...

The hat? It's one of Steve's AB Rabbits......It was from the last batch he made before offering only the beaver felt. Although, I *think* Steve might go back to offering rabbit felt again....I'm not sure. You'll have to check the Fedora section to see. ;)
Luke Warmwater
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Luke Warmwater »

I have a pair of these for sale in the bazaar right now for 100 bucks. Good shoes, just not as good as Aldens.
Hatch
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Hatch »

That rubber Vibram should be good for actual wear and not as slippery as the Aldens....I've got two pair of Redwing boots (although not this model ) and they are 'true'workboots and wear like iron.........