Dying pants???

Discuss technique for prolonging the life of your gear or giving it that aged look

Moderator: Dalexs

The_Raiders
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Dying pants???

Post by The_Raiders »

Not a normal subject, I know. Well, I had an almost perfect pair of Indy pants, as far as material and color went, they are not pleated and they don't have back pocket flaps, but they have had about all they can take, they have numerous stains and tears from customizing work, gear work, etc. So I went out and bought a pair of pleated kakies, but my one problem with them is, they seem too light. I don't have money for westeds' or the other fancy SA Indy pants, so I was wondering if there is a way to darken/dye my new pants, and how. :-k
Indiana Joyce
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: Dying pants???

Post by Indiana Joyce »

You can dye them, but, if they arent cotton, they will start to fade as soon as you wash them. And, dont put salt in the dyebath like the package recommends. Salt plus water, equals floating garments that dye unevenly. You can get RIT dye just about everywhere.
The_Raiders
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by The_Raiders »

Indiana Joyce wrote:You can dye them, but, if they arent cotton, they will start to fade as soon as you wash them. And, dont put salt in the dyebath like the package recommends. Salt plus water, equals floating garments that dye unevenly. You can get RIT dye just about everywhere.
The pants are 59% cotton. And what's RIT dye? I'm really not sure what to get, excepy maybe alot of hair dye. :-k
PyramidBlaster
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: "Tampa, Florida--Or, how I learned to stop worrying, and love the Bomb..."

Post by PyramidBlaster »

Rit dye is the leading brand of cloth dye. It's typically available in Grocery & Drug stores, as well as places like Wal-Mart and fabric/craft stores....

If you ask me, the dark khaki 'Wrangler 5-star' slacks are not bad at all in terms of color, are pleated, and most importantly, inexpensive. No pocket flaps, but hey...you can't have everything. I always find them at Wal-Mart. Much easier than dyeing, unless you have an SA pair of pants like the LL Bean's and just need to tweak the color....

I know it's been discussed before...I myself wrote about my experiences dyeing a pair of LL Bean's HERE:

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=29188

I believe Dr Ulloa had an experience dyeing pants, too...HERE:

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=29730

As well as this topic around the same time:

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=29371

"Not something that should be taken lightly...!" Good luck!
The_Raiders
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by The_Raiders »

Thanks. i believe I'll look into the RIT dye. I really like the pair of pants I got, but they are just way too light for my taste, and as I said my old pair (although not pleated) were perfect for me, great color accuracy, nice fit, but I got a hole in the knee, and paint stains, and glue stains all from various projects with other gear. It really bothers me to see those pants deteriorate, but I'll keep'em until their last breath :lol: .
When I dye the other pants they will be just as good, if not better, I think. :-k
Hatch
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Hatch »

Raiders, look for a girl friend, friend's mom etc with some experience with sewing, making clothes experience on how to do this..and ask, plead , beg for their help....... ;) :whip: