Why is USWINGS so Long

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

indyfan1234
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Why is USWINGS so Long

Post by indyfan1234 »

i emailed uswings and they told me that even the medium's back length is 27 1/4 inch. why do they make them long
Holt
Craftsman

Re: Why is USWINGS so Long

Post by Holt »

ask them ;)
indyfan1234
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by indyfan1234 »

yea ill probly ask them after i get a reply on what they said if i can order a custom one with a shorter length
Raider S
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Raider S »

USW does not do custom fit jackets. You need to look to Todd's, Wested, Magnoli, G&B, or Nowak for that.
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

US Wings sizing seems to be skewed towards larger sizes.

I usually wear a 40. That ended up being an XS in Wings sizing.
indyfan1234
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by indyfan1234 »

yea im between 38 and 40 and thats a medium on their indy 4 jacket and even a medium regular is long with the back being 27 1/4 inch
indyfan1234
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by indyfan1234 »

whats G and B's website
i was going to go for a wested being cheaper in price but ive heared they fall apart after a year or so and i wanted a jacket that doesnt fall apart and uswings is very very durable and i already have a raiders for uswings and it hasnt fallen apart at all but i wanted a cystal skull/last crusade and wested's price was 260 something but i dont want a jacket that will go in pieces.
so i might do some more research on wested
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

My large VIP is only 27"...one inch longer than my CS TN.

It was always said that the TofD jacket was an inch longer than the Raiders jacket, and Wing/Cooper made the TofD jacket....so in my mind it makes sense it would be an inch longer than the other Indy jackets of the series.

Regards! Michaelson
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

indyfan1234 wrote:whats G and B's website
i was going to go for a wested being cheaper in price but ive heared they fall apart after a year or so and i wanted a jacket that doesnt fall apart and uswings is very very durable and i already have a raiders for uswings and it hasnt fallen apart at all but i wanted a cystal skull/last crusade and wested's price was 260 something but i dont want a jacket that will go in pieces.
so i might do some more research on wested
Blatantly not true about them all falling apart after a year.

This was at least 10 years old when I got it and it was well worn, shown here after a trip through the washing machine on hot.

I sold it on... and am still regretting it, a couple of years later.
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

Yeah. Wings has a more ToD length. Personally, I find theirs to be a more practical, real-world fit. A larger customer base can look good in what Wings makes. That is sensible when you have an operation like theirs. With Wested and the like, the customization allows sizing issues to be addressed more individually.

As for Wested durability, I think that's mostly a matter of how they are used (or misused). I've seen many Westeds in person with considerable age on them that are doing fine. If your going to really pound the heck out of them, though, you'll need to repair them just like any other garment.
indyfan1234
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by indyfan1234 »

how durable or long lasting for normal everyday use is the novapelle crystal skull jacket because i was told that that was the closest leather the crystal skull they have or is it the worn cowhide they have???
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

indyfan1234 wrote:how durable or long lasting for normal everyday use is the novapelle crystal skull jacket because i was told that that was the closest leather the crystal skull they have or is it the worn cowhide they have???
I've had mine for 1 1/2 years and it's still going strong. It's got a couple of light scars from it's travels. Some from battery acid, but it survived. The leather ages wonderfully.

Just look at the grain on the pockets.

indyfan1234
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by indyfan1234 »

wow thats looks great looks actually a lot like the crystal skull jacket the color is great did u apply anything or is that the color it came in. the only thing i am worried about is not screwing up on the sizes because my dad wont let me call the uk when i get the money he just says they wont screw up the size but i have heared of this happening so idk i just hope they dont and what are the specifications for the cystal skull jacket like what i mean by that is i know the skull jacket has double stiched shoulders so im going to ask for that probly just going to tell wested to do any modifications that make it more SA to crystal skull
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Just a couple of coats of pecard dressing and a bit of wind and rain!

BTW here is one with a correct CS style pocket flap, this one has been worn a bit with NO pecards and is a size 50.

But this is way OT.

Why are Wings so long... they just seem to cater for the bigger taller fans.

A 40R should be about 25" long. So 27 is too long IMO that should be marked a long or tall.
indyfan1234
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by indyfan1234 »

yea uswings has odd sizes. after seeing yours and the novapelle doesnt fall apart i think im just gonna go for wested. much cheaper $268 compared to wings being $400. now i just have to save up $268 haha one more thing did u have any problems on the custom being an inch off ur measurements?
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Sorry, taking it off topic again... this one has even met Belloq... and Gobler!

:)

indyfan1234
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by indyfan1234 »

go ahead and take it off topic im now more interested in hearing how good the novapelle skull jacket is :lol:
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Ironically, Peter himself advertised his version of the TofD jacket for years on the Wested website stating it was 1-2 inches longer than the Raiders jacket....so...... :-k

Whatever.
:lol: ;)

Regard !Michaelson
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

Chewbacca Jones wrote:Yeah. Wings has a more ToD length.
The Ford size ToD length of the NH jacket according to Peter was 26". Longer than Raiders but not as long as some people seem to think the ToD is.

Wings jacket is longer than that. Almost more like a Car coat length.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Based on Peter's past posted website information, he said the TofD jacket was 1-2 inches longer. I just measured my custom size 44R Wested cloth Raiders jacket. It is 25 inches from base of collar stand to the bottom of the jacket. My Wings VIP is 27 inches...2 inches longer.

Peter finally got hold of the 30 year old NH TofD jacket and it measured 26 inches....equal to the same measurement as a size 44R CS TN jacket hanging in my closet.

Seems to me it's all relative to what information you're banking on as being the definitive set of data that one can hang their hat on.

I'm comfortable with what Wing is offering as being TofD correct myself. :D

Regards! Michaelson
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

True,

According to the specs from TN, the Ford size CS is 26.5" back length. The Ford size Raiders he had was 23" back length.
indyfan1234
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by indyfan1234 »

yea it was 26.5 im probly going to get one from wested in 26
Raider S
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Raider S »

Having had two USW's and three Wested's I can say the USW's are built to a different standard. The Wested's are nice jackets but more what I'd consider a fashion jacket. The USW's may not be a SA but they would easily last for many years (decades) of wear.

If it were me I'd wait till the new limited edition USW ToD is out - that may just be the best USW of all time thanks to the work of Holt and Crismans. A more SA USW plus the already top of the line mil-spec construction for $300 is going to be a hot one.
indyfan1234
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by indyfan1234 »

i love the look of USW's indy 4 jacket but its $400 i just dont have maybe if it was $300 id go for it
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

indyfan1234 wrote:yea uswings has odd sizes. after seeing yours and the novapelle doesnt fall apart i think im just gonna go for wested. much cheaper $268 compared to wings being $400. now i just have to save up $268 haha one more thing did u have any problems on the custom being an inch off ur measurements?
I've only had one made to measure jacket from Wested. My ToD. It is Inch perfect :).

41" Chest. 23" back 23" sleeve.

indyfan1234
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by indyfan1234 »

thats great to hear it just matters on luck i guess
Browncoat
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Browncoat »

US Wings pretty much standardizes the measurements of their Indy jackets to fit the masses. A 27+ inch back length though fairly long for an Indy jacket is pretty common for other types of jackets. The looser cut insures that it'll fit a wide range of people.

Ford's Raiders did have a 23 inch back but it draped naturally off the shoulder. This probably lowered the jacket length by 2 or 3 inches when worn.
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

Browncoat wrote:........
Ford's Raiders did have a 23 inch back but it draped naturally off the shoulder. This probably lowered the jacket length by 2 or 3 inches when worn.
Yes it does
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

Hey KT, I thought we already saw your face on pictures you posted, why keep blurring it? :-k
Hatch
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Hatch »

He may be having more trouble with groupies lately............. :- :lol:
scot2525
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by scot2525 »

I noticed that as well, maybe it had to do with an article Michaelson posted about facebook a couple of weeks ago.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Yep.

Regards! Michaelson
indyfan1234
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by indyfan1234 »

see this pic shows how long uswings is
this is mine in XL-Long with the back length around 29 inch i believe

http://i536.photobucket.com/albums/ff32 ... G_2007.jpg

http://i536.photobucket.com/albums/ff32 ... G_1990.jpg
Hatch
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Hatch »

Don't exactly see your point you're complaining they're long and yet you bought a Long size .....why not regular #-o
indyfan1234
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by indyfan1234 »

i bought that jacket about 2 years ago and that was my shirt size so i figured hey why not it will fit fine and then my dad said get long because ur a tall person, regular is for shorter people and then when i got it i wasnt a very happy camper. i think its fine for just normal use but with my indy gear its feels weird and makes me feel like its all heavy and stuff. so when i bought it i didnt know about uswings big sizes
Hatch
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Hatch »

Ah, you might just want to sell and go with regular length but it looks big even through shoulders.....unless you're still young enough to grow some more,we all seem to gain a few pounds with the years but don't get taller after early 20's....what's your heighth, weight ........I see from your info you're 17 so if $ not factor might just want to put it up for a few years and get one that fits better now and have this one for later...... ;)
Last edited by Hatch on Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
indyfan1234
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by indyfan1234 »

well im about 6'1"-6'2" somewhere in between and i weight about 190 lbs im currently 17 going to be 18 in a few months and i havent grown taller i dont think in at least a year i think ive stopped the only thing i worry about is growing sideways like when i get a custom that it wont fit me anymore :lol: but my chest is 38
indyfan1234
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by indyfan1234 »

oh and ive tried selling it but no takers :( :-({|=
Hatch
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Hatch »

Well then I'd put it in standby closet and get one that fits better for now....you may still gain some heighth and I can guarantee you'll put on some weight with the years.....good luck :lol:
indyfan1234
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by indyfan1234 »

thx thats why im getting a size 40 then a size 38 gives me a little extra room to grow outword :lol:
indyfan1234
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by indyfan1234 »

well i put it up for sale at the bazzar lets hope i sell it
Browncoat
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Browncoat »

I wouldn't size up unless you are planning on hitting the benchpress and gaining weight by adding muscle, its probably best just to use your actual chest measurement and see what the vendor recommends to get the fit that you want albeit loose or fitted.

Guarantee you could eat all the pizza you want and it won't be your chest growing a couple inches on you. :lol: :lol:
gi_canuck
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by gi_canuck »

I like my US Wings... it's long and baggy... perfect for winter here in Edmonton... where I can put as many layers clothes on as possible, yet still look stylish... They will never catch me in that thermo jacket thingie that will make me look like a michelin man!! Other than that... I really don't care for US Wings jacket that much... Oh well...
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

I think that comparing a Wings jacket to most other offerings can be unfair. In a market that can be insanely picky about certain details, yet disregard others that mainstream buyers might not, A Wings jacket is kind of a different animal. But it has it's place. For those who need some extra room or extra length, their jacket is perfect, the quality is excellent and there is no need for a custom. It provides an option to a portion of the fan base that might otherwise feel excluded unless they had big money to throw at the problem. Obviously, the $400+ Cow hide isn't the solution for a budget buyer. But when the english pound is strong (compared to right now), most of the prices work out better than buying a custom Wested.

It's good to have options, but important to know what each brings to the table. :tup:
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

Chewbacca Jones wrote:
It's good to have options, but important to know what each brings to the table. :tup:
Well said. :clap: