Aldens with dress pants

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Bernard
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Aldens with dress pants

Post by Bernard »

Im sure they are here somewere, but does anyone have pictures of Aldens being worn with dress pants? I need a pair of brown shoes and wondered if they would look ok with my work attire.
theinterchange
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Re: Aldens with dress pants

Post by theinterchange »

I guess that'd depend on the color of pants you were wearing. I couldn't see them with black pants.

Randy
Bernard
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Bernard »

well I know they are appropriate with khaki's but what about tan gabardines.. since the boot is covered by the pant leg, do they look like dress shoes? Thanks...
TheExit148
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by TheExit148 »

I wear my Todd's boots to work everyday, depending on the pant colour. Most people assume that they are shoes when I have them on. Not sure though what your work dress code may be like. Where I work it is business casual, so they fit that dress code perfect. I don't think they look really dressy, but they don't look really casual either.
Imahomer
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Imahomer »

Well as soon as you sit, or bend down (if you are worried about it) people will see that they are a little higher than a normal shoe. I'd think they are fine with slacks, as long as the colors don't clash and the Aldens are distressed. I often where mine with nice slacks, but I keep my Aldens looking nice too.
thedurdens
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician
Location: Jersey, "What a incredible smell you've discovered."

Post by thedurdens »

I have worn mine with both black and brown dress pants, however they do look best with the brown. They are obviously less dressy than standard dress shoes but not as casual as they may at first appear.

Thanks,
Frank
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

I have worn mine with a brown 3 piece suit. Yes. They work.

Bear in mind, high top shoes/boots were the norm through the 1940's.

Regards! Michaelson
scot2525
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by scot2525 »

IMHO a pair of Alden 405's or Coyle outdoorman shoes will work great with with any attire ranging from everyday wear, business wear, or semi-formal wear if you color coordinate and keep your shoes in excellent condition for the latter two options.

The shoe doesn't acheive a true formal wear IMHO.

Regards,

Scott
Luke Warmwater
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Luke Warmwater »

They're fine for any venue where a brown shoe is appropriate.

If anyone questions, just tell them they're $320 designer shoes.
Browncoat
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Browncoat »

As long as the colors match, Aldens should be fine with many types of pants. Just piece them together, you should be able to tell if they combination works.
Bernard
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Bernard »

Thanks for the replys all.. So anyone have any pics of Aldens with dressier slacks? :)
Tron7960
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tron7960 »

Not the best pics (I'm actually telling my daughter to stop playing with the camera in this one) but it shows I'm wearing my AB Aldens with dark brown suit pants. I had been wearing the jacket and tie earlier, so I'm of the opinion that these work. I've also worn my brickish colored Aldens with a dark grey suit and found the combo quite to my liking.
ImageImage
sneakertinker
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by sneakertinker »

I've worn my first pair of 405's with everything...Including a black Tux at a wedding...
Bernard
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Bernard »

Tron7960 wrote:Not the best pics (I'm actually telling my daughter to stop playing with the camera in this one) but it shows I'm wearing my AB Aldens with dark brown suit pants. I had been wearing the jacket and tie earlier, so I'm of the opinion that these work. I've also worn my brickish colored Aldens with a dark grey suit and found the combo quite to my liking.
ImageImage
Thanks Tron! Thats exactly what I was looking for. I work in a bank , in IT Risk... So while I wear gabardines and an oxford shirt, I dont have to be as fancy as a proper banker. Looks great!

on a side note, do we have a link that shows how to add a pic to the avatar? Its driving me crazy! I keep getting an error about it not being a valid link...
Bernard
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Bernard »

So let me explain why I wanted such a pic in the first place.. :lol:

I need a new pair of brown shoes to wear to work, so I have been on the lookout for a basic pair of brown shoes kind of like the black cap toe Johnston & Murphy's I bought about 8 years ago.

http://www.johnstonmurphy.com/product.a ... &VID=38229

Anyways, I found several pairs around 100 bucks and they looked pretty nice, but after trying them on I didnt really love them, just functional shoes. After talking with the clerk for a bit he advised that all of the shoes they sell in that price range will only last about a year...! I was shocked. My black ones have lasted for many years and a few resoles. I have also heard rumors of Johnston & Murphy's quality going down hill over the past few years. If what this clerk says is true, then I agree. I want somthing I can buy and wear to work/casual dress and not only love what I have on my feet, but keep it for a long time and resole/maintain over the years. Im starting to really appreciate quality in my old age (37) lol..

So I wanted to see how these would look in my banker/cube uniform, and thanks to Tron, I see they loook fine. Also I might be moving to NY as part of a job promotion and wondered how Aldens or any of the other clones do in Ice and snow.

Also what type of diffrences will I see in a Todd's or Magnoli boot vrs an Alden? Is the Alden more real inside than a knockoff shoe? I realize the Alden is the original, but will I get the same quality and life out of a cheaper pair?

Thanks everyone for your replys,

Bernard
Tron7960
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tron7960 »

Living in Winnipeg, I believe I can provide some input on the ice and snow component of your question.

Aldens will look great with your business attire, while walking down the icy/snowy path.

They just will make it difficult to stay vertical.

Not to say it can't be done, just that people tend to judge you if you have your arms extended out to the sides, are crouched down low and are slowly shuffling your feet to avoid any sudden movements.

Oh, and a helmet wouldn't be out of the question.