Well I finally had a hat soak all the way through!!!

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

What do you do with your rain soaked hat?

Poll ended at Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:00 pm

Pop out the bash and sweat to dry
33%
Leave the bash in but pop out the sweat
8%
Do nothing but throw it on a hat rack
25%
Resting on the crown
25%
Resting on the brim
8%

Total votes: 36

gabrielle
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Well I finally had a hat soak all the way through!!!

Post by gabrielle »

I popped out the bash and sweat and let it dry on a hat rack with no ill effects at all. Looks just like it did before I got caught in the storm!!!

This was my Penman and I love it so much I sold my other hats and am saving for a steel gray Penman...
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: Well I finally had a hat soak all the way through!!!

Post by BendingOak »

You did the right thing. Just pop everything out and just hang it like you did or you can put it on it's crown.
basilbakerst
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by basilbakerst »

Although my Fed IV Deluxe has yet to weather a serious Florida thunder shower, it has been rained on a few times. I always just set it on my hat rack when I get home or rest it on its crown if at work. I don't ever mess around with the bash though. I've kept the same bash I initially made with it back in December. What would be the motivation to undo that because the hat got wet?

basilbakerst
gabrielle
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by gabrielle »

I'm thinking to keep it from tapering. The bash is set now so it pops right back in after the hat drys.
Indy35
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indy35 »

I don't do much too it at all. If it gets completely drenched then i leave the bash as is and set it on its brim with the front brim over an edge. It is also left in a cool place to dry, and the last time i got caught it took two days to dry slowly. I never leave it by heat or try and dry it. So far i've had no trouble with taper, but i've got Akubra's and PB's, so they're tough as nails.

Im hoping my Henry is just as tough.

My Fed IV got its first snowstorm today, we got actual snow here in Virginia. \:D/ \:D/ Im originally from Alaska so i miss the snow. I almost did a donut this morning in the parking lot!! Sorry off topic. All this said it did really well.
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

the only time i got caught in a huge rainstorm was with my fed 4.......and i chose it for that specific day. she got extremely soaked, but did not soak right through......WOW, what a great felt. i popped out everything AND stuffed it full of newspaper just in case......she didn't even look any different when all was said and done. akubras are great hats imo.
theinterchange
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by theinterchange »

I had my keppler in a downpour about a month ago and alternated between what I did with it. Initially, I set it on the dining room table brim down [hanging over the edge of the table of course] then on the crown witht the sweatband popped out.

Worked fine doing it that way.

Randy