Simple home made hat saver

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

enigmata_wood
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Simple home made hat saver

Post by enigmata_wood »

I have read posts before about chin straps and the discomfort they cause, as well as spoiling the look of the Hat.
I want to share my simple discreet alternative. Though my fedora rarely comes off even in high winds this stops it getting away - which is much more comfortable than trying to stop it coming off.

you will need:
A narrow bootlace that approximately matches your hair colour,
A small brass keyfob - the type that hotels use - basically a thin brass disk about 3/4" in diameter with a hole near the edge.
A small metal button with a largeish loop on the back - rather than a flat button with holes through it.
Needle and thread.

Keeping the plastic ferule at one end of the bootlace, cut off enough lace to go half way round your head.
Poke about half an inch of the cut end through the hole in the keyfob.
Fold it back on the rest of the lace and sew it in place. Stitch it so the lace stays as flat as possible.
Flip the hat's sweatband up.
from the inside, at the back of the hat, work the lace's ferule carefully between the stitches that hold the sweatband to the hat.
pull the lace all the way through until the keyfob stops it.
flip the sweatband back in. The keyfob doesn't show, you wont notice it's there when you wear the hat.
Put the ferule end of the lace through the loop in the metal button and tie a knot to stop it coming out again.
Next time you don your hat the lace will hang down the back.
Bring it round the side of your neck tuck it inside your shirt collar and put the button through the top button hole from the inside.
The lace hardly shows as it runs round the inside of your collar.
If you don't regularly wear shirts you could make the lace longer to reach a jacket buttonhole. Or replace the button with a small strong clip.
If you use a decorative button it looks like a Masonic shirt stud.
If you usually wear a tie make the lace long enough to reach the second hole from the top of your shirt and put it through from the inside. your tie will hide it.
Last edited by enigmata_wood on Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Re: Simple home made hat saver

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Sounds like an interesting alternative. Um... ;0

I'm a visual learner. ;)
enigmata_wood
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by enigmata_wood »

Your response arrived between me posting the info and attaching a photo [about 5 minutes !]
Hope it helps.
Enigmata
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Hey, I seldom get to use that emoticon, so, well, you know... :lol:

That's a nice take on the classic wind cord! If you choose not to use it on a given day, I assume there's an easy way to remove it or put it back in?
enigmata_wood
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by enigmata_wood »

By the way,
An added advantage of this is you can take the hat off and just let it hang down on your chest while you have both hands free to do whatever you took the hat off for. [putting on neck muffler, glasses with a retainer cord, or camera strap, or perhaps artistically touselling your hair, applying Brilliantine etc!]
Last edited by enigmata_wood on Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
enigmata_wood
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by enigmata_wood »

binkmeisterRick wrote: That's a nice take on the classic wind cord! If you choose not to use it on a given day, I assume there's an easy way to remove it or put it back in?
Not really but I leave it in all the time comfortably. Sometimes it's enough to have the button hang down the back under a coat. Occasionally I just tuck the loose end into the hat if I need a really formal look, but that's usually with a buttoned shirt so again the cord goes inside the shirt collar.
Taking the hat right off is no harder than undoing a button. I have also found that when etiquette requires I take it off, and there's no provision to store the hat, I can place it on my knee and tuck the cord in my belt to stop the hat slipping off.
to hang it up I just tie a temporary slip knot in the cord.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

...also called a 'wind trolley'.

Nicely done. Sure looks a LOT stronger than the versions they put on them these days. :D Those factory installed things just flat don't work now. :roll:

Regards! Michaelson
Imahomer
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Imahomer »

It's a very nice option. I'm going to give it some serious thought.

Thanks.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Michaelson, you and I both know that the modern wind trolley is for decoration only. Pity, too.

I could've used this idea yesterday. It was so windy I had to hold on to my hat a couple times. I didn't loose it, but I was prepared to sprint after it if it flew!
MustangLoverMex
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by MustangLoverMex »

AMAZING!! :clap:
I would never thought about putting a wind trolley in there and in that way! :-k
Thanks for sharing!

Regards!
-Alfonso ;)
enigmata_wood
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by enigmata_wood »

Glad to be of assistance. And, yes, it really is strong. I cycle a lot and never lost the hat since I installed this.
KenS
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by KenS »

I like simple, effective devices, and this fills the bill nicely.
Thanks, Ken.
enigmata_wood
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by enigmata_wood »

my pleasure