How do you feel about sport'n you fedora in public?

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

I'm afraid of public ridicule, I never put it on outside the house.
3%
I seldom wear it, 'sept to costume parties.
4%
I wear it often, but am a little self conscious.
20%
I wear it often without fear.
26%
As my own man I wear mine all the time, to #### with the gawkers!
48%

Total votes: 101

alphared6
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by alphared6 »

This poll has been motivated by the post thread: "Anyone else feel weird about wear the hat in public?"
I'm surprised at the number of posts there and my impression is that most of us do not "feel weird" about our fashion choice.

So ... here's a poll to find out.

If you have an opinion not represented by the options, please post it.
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: How do you feel about sport'n you fedora in public?

Post by DR Ulloa »

I wear a hat everyday. It isn't always an Indy style fedora, but I wear one everyday.

Dave
RaiderZee
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RaiderZee »

Howdy,

For me, it's a double-edged sword. On the one hand, in many cases I feel a bit self-conscious about the fedora to start. Then the other part of me kicks in and says, "#### it, this is who I am, this is my #### nice hat, to heck with the unwashed masses and their backwards baseball caps."

I'll test this out big-time when I visit The Mouse with my wife & kids over spring break.

RaiderZee
Zombie Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Zombie Jones »

Weather permitting, I wear my Fed IV whenever I feel like it (I don't wear it in heavy rain or on very hot days). I couldn't care less what the "public" thinks of it; never have, never will. My wife and close friends say it looks good on me, and that's good enough for me.
Barcelona Jones
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Barcelona Jones »

Hi,

I wear a hat every day, and sometimes this hat is my Indy hat. :D
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Post by Indiana Croft »

No doubt about it, I wear either a AB beaver or rabbit or my HJ. But it's always a Fedora every day rain or shine. And for me up in NH, I very rarly get any snide comments, more complimentry.

So wear your fedora in good health and don't worry about the other guy.

Croft :mrgreen:
Russian Raider
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Russian Raider »

I wear it often without fear
Thats me, when my clothes can match fedora i wear it. Say 3-4 days a week.
Don't Call Me Junior!
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Don't Call Me Junior! »

I'll go with, when my clothes match. But then I'm a lot less picky than some. ;) For example, yesterday was spent moving heavy furniture from our house to various relatives all over town. It was about 30 degrees outside and I was wearing shorts, sneakers, a Red Sox sweatshirt and my trusty AB. Hey, it's my favorite hat, man! I pretty much always wear it!
mikey517
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Post by mikey517 »

Junior, I was with you 'till the Red Sox sweatshirt!! #-o

O:)
Last edited by mikey517 on Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DanielJones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DanielJones »

RaiderZee wrote:Howdy,

For me, it's a double-edged sword. On the one hand, in many cases I feel a bit self-conscious about the fedora to start. Then the other part of me kicks in and says, "#### it, this is who I am, this is my #### nice hat, to heck with the unwashed masses and their backwards baseball caps."

I'll test this out big-time when I visit The Mouse with my wife & kids over spring break.

RaiderZee
Zee, when you visit The Mouse during Spring Break will it be Anaheim or Orlando. If it is Anaheim, be sure to say hi to Skipper Chris over in the Jungle Cruise. You may even be able to request his boat if ask real nice like. Hoose is also a cast member there that is a member here as well. But he is more elusive as he does several shows around the park. He could be a cowboy, a pirate or jedi knight. We have several members here that are cast members at the Mouse Lands, always be sure to say hello.

As for wearing the lid, wear it proudly, it is part of you after all. I never feel self conscious about it at all, very liberating.

Cheers!

Dan
RaiderZee
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RaiderZee »

No, Dan, we're in SC so it'll be Orlando. We're trying to work out a West Coast swing next year. Any WDW cast members on COW?

RZ
jacksdad
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by jacksdad »

I wear my Penman everywhere except work, cause I work for a newspaper and I don't want ruin it by getting ink on my hands then touching my hat, after I leave the plant I put my fedora back on. I really don't care what people think and it keeps me warm and makes me happy.
EchoSix
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by EchoSix »

My wife used to work for Disney, but now she's a stay-at-home.

We're going there in two weeks though, for a weeks long stay. And the fedora's coming along, as it always does. Maybe my new custom Wested will get here before that. =P~
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

mikey517 wrote:Junior, I was with you 'till the Red Sox sweatshirt!! #-o

Go yankees

I wear mine every day and I could give a rats A## what anyones thinks.
theinterchange
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by theinterchange »

I opted for the last option. Who gives a rip what others think?

Randy
enigmata_wood
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by enigmata_wood »

Iconic it may be, but it's just a hat -- a good hat I wear for most weather conditions. For rarer weather conditions I have other good hats.

PS I chose option 5 but protest the implied "####" profanity, it's not a gentleman's style.
alphared6
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by alphared6 »

enigmata_wood wrote: I chose option 5 but protest the implied "####" profanity, it's not a gentleman's style.
The "profanity" was HE double hockey sticks. Though it's not allowed here it's far from profane. And I'm a Gentleman by an act of congress, we all know what that's worth.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Someone check and see if my nose is bleeding, I think I was just tagged.
enigmata_wood
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by enigmata_wood »

alphared6 wrote:I'm a Gentleman by an act of congress, we all know what that's worth.
Whereas in England, my dear fellow, one is a gentleman by birth! :D
Excuse my high-handed manner I have been reading too many Victorian novels of late, what-what!
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

Like 'professionalism', gentlemanly behavior is a state of being, an attitute/manner/method of behavior exhibited, a manner in which you conduct yourself, acting in a chivalrous way towards others. I also understand that every person is falliable, flawed, and prone to human nature. John exhibits this behavior as he treats others, his clients during the buying process.

However, to get on topic, if you or I pay for one of these fine fedoras, certainly we should get some use out of it in public. While I was on an archaeological expedition for 5 weeks, I wore my new fedora for half the dig, during all of the work day. It now has some fine character marks, is worn, and has become an 'individual', instead of just another new hat.

Personnel on site kidded me at various times for wearing the hat, but it was usually in good humor, good natured ribbing. At this point, you have two options that will define your character, your reaction....you will either take it to heart, be silent, and be offended, or you can rise to the occasion and shoot back with a good humored comeback.

On the first day of the dig, I chose to introduce myself as one who identifies with Indiana Jones...."you gotta love the spirit of ADVENTURE! The guy who keeps on keeping on!" In essence, this is who IJ represents to me, a hero, flawed, but persistant, who strives for the goal, despite the odds stacked against him, that life is the big adventure, and we should live it to the full! I also said during the introduction, of the first day that the dig team was assembled....that "I had watched Indiana Jones a few times before I left for the trip, and that I felt confident that I knew ewverything there was to know about biblical archaeology! If I could only find the headpiece to the Staff of Ra, then this would give us a leg up on the Germans!" The whole auditorium was filled with laughter, and for the rest of the dig, the 'spirit of adventure' seemed to be the theme of our dig Season IV. Occasionally, I would get the 'Indy' comment, but usually it was basically a term of endearment, or good natured humor, to which I would reply...."fortune and glory, kid! Fortune and glory." From that point forward, I rolled up my sleeves and worked hard each and every day, so they knew I was right in there with them....unity of thought and purpose. By deed, a good work ethic, more than by what was said, they were won over.

More than trying to in essance "be" Indiana Jones, I looked upon his character as more of a role model, flawed, but with some character traits of substance that I could take on, and do well to immulate through out the years. In short, you can even learn something from a fictional character. You gotta love the sprit of adventure!
Last edited by Texan Scott on Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alphared6
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by alphared6 »

enigmata_wood wrote:
alphared6 wrote:I'm a Gentleman by an act of congress, we all know what that's worth.
Whereas in England, my dear fellow, one is a gentleman by birth! :D
Excuse my high-handed manner I have been reading too many Victorian novels of late, what-what!
I have had the great honor to serve with some outstanding UK soldiers, many of them British. Their language rivaled any that I have heard among US soldiers. But then perhaps they were "commoners." You do still have the cast system there do you not? ;)
Dr. Nebraska S.

Post by Dr. Nebraska S. »

Somewhat off topic, but Texan Scott, we'd enjoy enjoy hearing about your dig and seeing pictures from it. ;0 Will you be posting in the scrapbook section soon? As a scholar in biblical studies and near eastern archaeology, I certainly look forward to hearing more. :D

Best wishes,
Nebraska Schulte
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

thanks Texas Scott, falliable, flawed, and prone to human nature. thats me alright. I'm proud of it. \:D/

On topic. I have had all kinds of things said to me when wearing a fedora. I don't hear it anymore. Life is to short to let others dictate to me what I should wear, like or act like. I will not be a gold fish in a bowl.

bee seeing you. ;)
Dr. Nebraska S.

Post by Dr. Nebraska S. »

Unlike my previous post, I've got one a bit more on topic. :) Depending on what clothes I'm wearing, I tend to have on either my brown AB or gray Fed every day. If I happen to notice anything like a negative reaction--and if anyone comments negatively (which is rather rare), I chalk it up to rudeness on their part rather than anything I should be concerned about in my behavior. I figure I'm an old farm boy from Nebraska who's been wearing wide-brimmed hats my whole life, and I wouldn't be where I'm at today if I had much interest in following the herd. ;)

The majority of comments I receive are complimentary. In my field, it's actually seeming to be an advantage in networking: most other scholars I've met really like my fedoras a lot, and it helps me make a good and memorable impression. I've even heard that some fellow scholars will seek me out via my hat sticking out among crowds of thousands at academic conferences. Yesterday while at a pub, I had a guy who not only complimented me on it but said if we had worn the same size, he would have offered to buy my AB right then and there. Instead, I talked with him for a few minutes and recommended some of our vendors on here as good resources. I put more stock in a complete stranger taking 5 minutes out of what they're doing to ask about my hat than any strange looks I might perceive from others. And sometimes those strange looks aren't what you think--for the last time I had a woman giving me weird looks from across a cafe, she took a moment on the way out to compliment me on it. :D

best wishes,
Nebraska Schulte
MustangLoverMex
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by MustangLoverMex »

As many of you said... I wear a hat every single day! Not always the Indy Fedora, but another hat styles that I like. It's very comfy to use them! And something weird happend... When I start wearing hats, nobody else in school did, but now I've seen that more and more are bringing their hats! :whip:

Regards,
-Alfonso :D
Don't Call Me Junior!
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Don't Call Me Junior! »

mikey517 wrote:Junior, I was with you 'till the Red Sox sweatshirt!! #-o

:rolling:

All of my closest friends and family members that like baseball are all Yankees fans yet somehow we still get along! ;)
Indy35
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indy35 »

I sport mine proudly. What's funny is i 1st bought a stetson temple because i thought the lower crown would be better. Now i hate the thing and feel that the square, taller crowns that accompany the "indy" style feodras, no matter how bashed, fit my face better. Plus they look more dapper if you ask me. 20s and 30s fedoras are far superior in look to the later stuff.

And i rarely get a negative comment or look. Most people just don't care. I still get compliments from a variety of people, and many at work. They look good and they allow you to distinguish yourself from everyone around you. I still think the trend of wearing a Baseball cap with a suit is kind of silly looking. Its seems improper to me.

And the thing i don't do is waste money, if i buy a lid im gonna wear it. I've heard of people spending big bucks on some of these lids and they wear it twice and it never leaves the closet. Thats how i got one of mine, the guy bought this custom hat wore it a few times and left it to the dust for three years. Sad but true.

Life's to short...wear it proudly.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

BendingOak wrote:thanks Texas Scott, falliable, flawed, and prone to human nature. thats me alright. I'm proud of it. \:D/ ;)
:lol: I hope you knew what I meant, John. You've always conducted yourself with a high degree of professionalism when dealing with your customers. ;) Don't worry, you can pay me later, ok? ha! :whip:

NB, Yes! I came back with still image camera and video camera loaded with raw footage that I will need to process and present in a better format. As soon as it is ready, I'll have lots to post, and hope this greets you well!
WalkingEye
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by WalkingEye »

i was standing outside a restaurant on saturday with my girlfriend and a good friend of ours named Andy, we had about a 50 minute wait to be seated. Both Andy and I were wearing fedora's, he had on a low crowned, mid length brimmed c-crown (he's a very stout guy with a broad face, the hat suits him well) and I had on my grey fed iv. we got the usuall amount of gawking that one usually gets while wearing a proper hat. One woman came up to us and raved about how much she loved the hats and told us how her father used to wear them all the time. she had that misty/sentimental look in her eye and a big smile.

It's a rare day if you find me out and about without a hat.
basilbakerst
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by basilbakerst »

I voted for "I wear it often, but am a little self conscious." because although I wear it just about every day, I still feel like some are looking at me funny. I try not to let it bother me because I love my Fed IV Deluxe, but I'd be lying if I said I was totally unfazed. When my wife, my son, and I were up in the Blue Ridge Mountains, I felt completely at home in it. In fact, while walking along Main Street in Blowing Rock, there were a number of people wearing fedoras and other more formal style hats. However, back here in Florida, it feels out of place for some reason. I'm hoping over time that I can shake that lingering feeling, but even if I don't, I'll still wear my hat with pride. Take care.

basilbakerst
lazarus_arkane
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by lazarus_arkane »

I'm not even sure if i could describe of how i feel about sporting my fedora in public. I've always worn a fedora everyday, since i was a teenager, and after all this time now i don't even think about it when wearing my fedora in public, to me its just the same as a pair of shoes. Just as I put on a pair of shoes before stepping out the door, its completely natural to me to throw my hat on my head as well. the only thing i can say is, I feel really weird and self concious if i walk out the door "without" a hat on my head.
alphared6
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by alphared6 »

lazarus_arkane wrote:I'm not even sure if i could describe of how i feel about sporting my fedora in public. I've always worn a fedora everyday, since i was a teenager, and after all this time now i don't even think about it when wearing my fedora in public, to me its just the same as a pair of shoes. Just as I put on a pair of shoes before stepping out the door, its completely natural to me to throw my hat on my head as well. the only thing i can say is, I feel really weird and self concious if i walk out the door "without" a hat on my head.
As the Irish say, "Eya, but yer a man after me own heart!" I've been a gear head since I was a small tike. I started wearing fedoras in the 1970's in High School. Today, Like Lazarus, I could no more go out without a hat than I could co out without pants! :lol:
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

..no demos necessary! :Dietrich: [-( =; ;)

....sport it!
Indy35
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indy35 »

This is kind of "on" topic, because i wear one of my lids everyday and praise them. I've sucessfully started a trend in my office. People are now coming to me because others are telling them to see me because I like my hats, they like them, and im willing to talk about them and give advice when it comes to purchasing fedoras in general, not just Indy hats. Its very cool. \:D/ \:D/

Im tellin' you people wear'em. They look good (of course im kind of preaching to the choir), and the world has just forgotten they look great because they don't see them enough today. If you keep wearing them proudly it shows. People constantly tell me that i wear the hats well. Its the confidence that i wear them with. :whip: :whip:
DanielJones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DanielJones »

Like I said earlier, I wear mine daily. I'd feel naked & exposed without one on my noggin. It's just a natural extension of me and folks do comment if I'm wearing my flat caps and say they didn't see me because they were looking for the lid. It's rather liberating to wear my hats. Plus, the added protection from the elements is just a bonus. \:D/

Cheers!

Dan
basilbakerst
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by basilbakerst »

Generally, I wear my fedora to and from the office during the week. During the weekends, I'll wear it some depending upon what my wife, my son, and I are up to. This past weekend, we went to DisneyWorld, which is only about an hour from our house. I wore it both days, the first of which was spent at the Magic Kingdom. A couple of people gave me some "nice hat" comments. I even got an "enjoy the ride Mr. Jones" from a nice-looking ride attendant. The next day, we went to Hollywood Studios, which is home to the Indiana Jones stunt show. When we walked up to it, one of the Disney employees made a joke about me being in the show. On the way back to the car, one of the parking lot attendants remarked that I got a hat while in the park, but I politely explained to him that mine was actually purchased by my wife for me for Christmas from Australia (it's a Fed IV Deluxe). He thought it was really cool. So all comments were positive with some light-hearted humor thrown in on some.
theinterchange
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by theinterchange »

I've only had two "negative" experiences wearing a fedora. Oddly enough, both were the same day, one inside the grocery store, the other in the parking lot.

The first was at the checkout. The teenage girl who was bagging kept looking at my hat out of the corner of her eye with one of those "I can't believe he's wearing that THING!" looks and snickering loudly. I made her nervous when I looked her in the eye as I was handed the bags.. and glared at her. [-( I could tell it put her in her place for laughing at customers.

Then in the parking lot.. We were walking out and a car stopped to let us cross, I looked at them and nodded, they looked at me, then at each other, then burst out laughing LOUDLY and doing a fair amount of swearing. They're a couple of college age guys who live in my neighborhood, funny, I pass their house daily as I walk.

And to be honest, things like that make no difference to me. I'm used to it. I've always been one who didn't quite fit into "popular" society.

Randy

Fast forward a few hours::

Just got back from the same grocery store and ended up having a brief conversation with the cashier about my hat and come to find out, he was just about to order a Wested. I didn't get a chance to see if he was a member here, as it was pretty busy and we held up the line a little.
Corith
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Corith »

I'm bald, so mine is my defacto tupee. It keeps my head and years from getting sunburned in the summer, and my head warm when its cold.

I'm told old to care what others think and nobody has ever said a negative thing.
The only thing I've had anybody say is . . .
"Nice hat"
"Where did you find that hat?"
"Did you get that hat here?" (when I'm at Disneyland)
"Is that an AB?"