Magnoli's Golden Rod-The New SA color?

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

ReturningSon
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Magnoli's Golden Rod-The New SA color?

Post by ReturningSon »

Ok, for a while I have been browsing the selection of pants availible to Indy gearheads while trying to find the best pair of SA pants (in terms of both color and pattern detail). So far I have personally inspected the following pants

1.) Magnoli Dark Khaki Trousers
2.) Wested Pants
3.) Noel Howard Pants (trying to find another set by the way!)
4.) Magnoli Golden Rods

Anyway, in terms of color, I think i have found the best. First things first, the khaki color, in any variation, is naturally hard to capture. Different lightings and even different angles while the pants are on the body can create a subtlely different tone.

I think most of the screengrabs that gearheads use to find the color of the pants (i.e. Indy on the flying wing, used to see pockets, Indy in Cairo, etc) are great for pattern detail but not for color. The scenes in Cario, very dusty and very bright, creating an orange hue to everything (Indy's face and yes..the pants). The scenes in the temple are too dark, as well as the scenes in the Well of the souls.

So, how can we truly find the color of the pants? Well, we cant. Besides, I am sure they used more than one set of pants, so each pair may have had a different hue .

Anyway, I have here a set of Magnoli's Golden Rod cotton pants and I believe they are the most SA in terms of color. Now I am not trying to convince anybody but for the price, these are perfect. It all depends on what you see. Perhaps in the temple scenes, they used darker pants, which, in that case, Noel's would be the ones. But they seemed just a little too dark. They lacked pinkess.

well, here are the pics. Now, different sets of lighting were used (no flash on all of these pics) just different lights. Natural, dark, and light. The color is amazingly hard to photograph but here they are...

Pic 1 This is the color! I used natural light and this is what convinced me this is it. Not too light, but not too dark. Just right. Now for some this will still be too light but, like I said, I am just posting here.

MODS: I am sorry but I wanted to upload these big so the color can be seen!

Pic 2 Military style hem detail, color is a bit faded, but this just shows the hem

Pic 3
Close up of pocket. Notice how the color is different. A lighter set of light but still relatively dark. Now we see that gray hue seen in the temple scene. As a side note: the pockets need to be slightly more scalloped. Thats my only complaint.

Pics 3/4
Unfortunately, I sold my Magnoli shirt to fund my other shirt purchase. I am stuck between an AB or a todds. Still trying to figure out which is better (SA color wise, AB is perfect but Todds is cheaper but his color is off). Anyway here is a light "stone wash" shirt I have. Old Navy issue.

ReturningSon
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by ReturningSon »

Here are some more shots

Button up fly

Pants on top of Wested Dark Brown TOD NH Jacket

(this was taken in a dark setting)

Anyway, I was going to buy a set of Paris Pants but I feel that I have landed on the right set. Now, here is the picture Magnoli posted. I think its kinda misleading because the color doesn't seem right there, its darker(just a little) person. Anyway, once you recieve these you realize they are better in person and the color is more accurate.

And here are some shots of Magnoli's Dark Khaki trousers.

Now these were taken in bad light but they did seem to be a bit too bright and yellowish.

Well, theres my story. Thanks Magnoli, these are wonderful pants and I will wear them out!!! :)
IndianaJack91
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndianaJack91 »

Nice pics
ReturningSon
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by ReturningSon »

Thanks!
IndianaJack91
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndianaJack91 »

how much are the golden rods?
Raider S
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Raider S »

Golden Rod sounds, well... very odd. Is it Goldenrod?

Are these 100% cotton and machine washable? Is there a tag inside with directions?
ReturningSon
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by ReturningSon »

Yeah, its just a name (guess they were fans of C-3PO). These are machine washable but since they are cotton, they will shrink if you throw them in the dryer so they need to be hang dried. These sell at Magnoli's site for $109. Clearly a step above the Westeds but not as much as NH or Paris Pants.
Imahomer
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Imahomer »

Magnoli covered this in an earlier posting. It's the name of the color that the place he receives the material from gives it. It does get confusing though.
IndianaJack91
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndianaJack91 »

nice
Imahomer
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Imahomer »

What's nice? It's actually confusing. :-k
IndianaJack91
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndianaJack91 »

The name is confusing, but i like that price
IndianaJack91
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndianaJack91 »

the color is looks pretty darn accurate too
ReturningSon
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by ReturningSon »

Yeah, they aren't too bad for the price. Wested are $70 plus $15 shipped so your looking at $85...For $20 more, you get a better color and they come custom fitted to your specs. Westeds you have to hem the length yourself and everything. However Wested pants arent too bad. I just cannot wait till Peter offers the new, updated versions!
IndianaJack91
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndianaJack91 »

I think the wested's are too light in color though
ReturningSon
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by ReturningSon »

Well, like I stated earlier. Some people love the Wested color but the pattern details are off...I wish I hadnt sold my Noel Howard pants. I believe they nailed the pattern dead on but were just a little too dark.

PS, don't look at the pic of the pants on Wested's site. Instead look at the pics on the "combo" deals wested offers (jacket, pants, shirt)...you see the color is lighter than in their regular photo.

Taking pics of these khakis can be tricky! Tomorrow I throw on a webbelt and my close enough aldens and snap some more pics..
indygr
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by indygr »

Hi Returningson,

These are awesome pants!! The design and pattern is excellent. Far better than Wested's. I disagree with the colour choice though :(

Search for Kt's post about NH screen used trousers. Me as many others here, strongly believe that these might be original Raiders trousers. The colour that Wested offers is almost identical to the screen used ones. Maybe Wested's pants have a bit of pinker hue but the closest colour that it is available now IMO is Wested's. Moreover, the material that you have is different than the original trousers. Therefore, the colour changes in a different manner.

Overall, excellent trousers! 8)
Indygr
ReturningSon
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by ReturningSon »

Yes, I have seen KT's original trousers. and thats where the whole "the pants were really grey!" arguement originates. Like I said, some scenes, I firmly believe that KTs are spot on, in others I just simply cannot believe its that color (especially in the cairo shots). Anyway, to each his own! I guess I lost my thread (got lost in his own museum eh?) but now I found it (thanks Magnoli) I will repost these pics. Sorry bout the blue shirt, just came back from a job interview. As for the pockets, I will be going to my hemstress tomorrow. Shes worked on a couple of my westeds and other pants but nothing as radical as changing a pocket. I am trying to shoot for PLaton's style of pocket (which I believe is the most SA) I will let everyone know how it turns out!

Here are some shots of me wearing the pants..

IndianaJack91
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndianaJack91 »

nice