the whip used in the blues brothers movie

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

giovanniceleste
Vendor

the whip used in the blues brothers movie

Post by giovanniceleste »

Hi guys,
someone can tell me what is this oval placed at the end of the thong.
this oval reminds me of many whip that I have seen in cartoons
regards
g

BullWhipBorton

Post by BullWhipBorton »

Gio, Unfortunately I can't say; at least not with out seeing better still photo of the whip they are using.

I did check over the video and Im having a difficult time telling if there is something physically attached to the end of the whip, or if its just an illusion caused by the lighting. In one frame it appears to be there, in the next it doesn’t.

The whip definitely does not have a fall or popper attach though, so it could be a knot of some sorts where a fall would have been attached or where the end of the whip was tied off. To me It looks more like a prop whip then a real whip though, I don’t recall ever seeing that any oval object on the tip of any other whips like that before.

Dan
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

Thats funny you should post this. Every year my fathers business puts on a "Hee Haw" (from the classic 70's country/western variety show) to benefit cancer research (my avatar is my sons and I at our last show). This year I have already decided to preform the Blues Brothers version of Rawhide, with the whip and everything!!! :whip:
IndyWhips
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by IndyWhips »

BullWhipBorton wrote:Gio, Unfortunately I can't say; at least not with out seeing better still photo of the whip they are using.

I did check over the video and Im having a difficult time telling if there is something physically attached to the end of the whip, or if its just an illusion caused by the lighting. In one frame it appears to be there, in the next it doesn’t.

The whip definitely does not have a fall or popper attach though, so it could be a knot of some sorts where a fall would have been attached or where the end of the whip was tied off. To me It looks more like a prop whip then a real whip though, I don’t recall ever seeing that any oval object on the tip of any other whips like that before.

Dan
I just went onto Dave's (The whip store) site but unfortunately he has now according to his blog altered the structure of his business....there used to be a photo of this type of whip posted there that has now gone :(

This is quite a common thing in shorter bull and snake whips the thong is plaited down in the normal way then turned into a flat plait to form a loop then back plaited on itself to secure it.....I currently have one in my workbook for a lady in Germany I'll try to remember to send you pics Dan when I get to it...

You then attach a fall like you attach a stock whip thong by feeding the fall onto the thong then through the (in effect) small keeper....the advantage is you can put on other endings to turn your bullwhip into various types of quirt and other impliments...

I've never seen it done on a long bullwhip though only short ones...

My best guess from the photo is that like Dan says thats some type of prop whip :o

Best Wishes

Tony
BullWhipBorton

Post by BullWhipBorton »

Tony, I’ve seen what your describing done on in some quirts and smaller driving whips. Thinking back I believe I’ve also seen a few fetish bull and snake whips with a small oval flat flap of leather on the tip (similar to the Texas type fall on American bullwhips) done to cause bruising and slapping rather then the cutting that a fall/popper could do. They still didn’t look quite like what I am seeing in that Blues Brothers clip though, at least from what i remember.

Dan
Indiana County Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana County Jr. »

That was so classic a scene....

Rawhide! Kapow! and the girl's cigarette disappearing...

Funny Stuff,

Crack On! :whip:
Allen
Nebraska Brad
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Nebraska Brad »

Indiana County Jr. wrote:That was so classic a scene....

Rawhide! Kapow! and the girl's cigarette disappearing...

Funny Stuff,

Crack On! :whip:
Allen
Yeah I always thought it was funny that he could hit the cigarette through the barbed wire. Great movie

-Nebraska