a Rabbit Adventurebilt 'stingy brim'

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

a Rabbit Adventurebilt 'stingy brim'

Post by Kokopelli »

Indiana Venkman
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana Venkman »

Nice actually, it would make a great Rorschach hat from the Watchmen.
Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kokopelli »

Ha! That's what I thought, too. I emailed Steve to see if it would be possible to pull 1/4" down from the crown into the brim.
indy89
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by indy89 »

Indiana Venkman wrote:Nice actually, it would make a great Rorschach hat from the Watchmen.
That was my first thought when I saw it :lol:
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

Wow! That's weird!! I kind of like it though, in a sick way... :lol: 8)

Shane
jacksdad
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by jacksdad »

that almost seems like a crime, to each his own, I would never have done that to an ab hat oh well. enjoy.
Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kokopelli »

jacksdad wrote:that almost seems like a crime, to each his own, I would never have done that to an ab hat oh well. enjoy.
Neither would I! -I bought it this way. I figured it was worth having just for the fact that it was a rabbit AB. The sweatband, ribbon and bow, liner and felt (whats left) are new looking, and it fits just right. My real hope was that Steve could 'revive' it by pulling at least 1/4" down from the crown into the brim. -waiting to hear back from him. I've got a new AB on order, so this one could get reshaped into something different.
Canada Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Canada Jones »

I am not familiar with the hat from the watchman so I am not sure how that would compare. I love Steve's work and would place myself solidly in the camp that would never cut the brim down. Did the person tell you why they did this?
best
Canada
Restless Dreamer
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Restless Dreamer »

I personally would NEVER trim an AB brim for the fear of ruining the hat. We are not talking about a piece of junk that you can rebuy for a fistful of dollars whenever you want: we are talking about a VERY expensive hat whit a VERY long waiting time.

I wonder how did the person who sold you that hat found the courage to mutilate it :[ I'm not criticizing him, I'm just saying "wow, so you can afford to risk and ruin a hat you paid 400$ and waited for a year or so? hats off!" :lol:

Ah, I want an AB. For present, I mean :P
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

Guys...believe it or not some people can appreciate non-Indy fedoras. :shock: I know, I know it sounds CRAZY!!!! I personally would not do this to an AB, but...since it is already done, I think that fedora would look awesome with a pork pie bash and a matching ribbon bound edge. :Plymouth: I got started in fedoras because of Indy, and I appreciate that style the most. However that is not all I own. After all variety is the spice of life. Come on guys...theres a great big world out there. ;-)
Restless Dreamer
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Hollowpound, I was not saying that only Indy's fedoras are worth of being worn. I have two or three hats that have nothing to do with "the" fedora, and still I like them.

I was just saying: I think it's crazy to try and manipulate an AB, just because you could come out in ruining it, and considering the price and the waiting time, I'd be very, VERY careful with it. It's not like "ok, I got this wool felt hat for 5 bucks, let's play and experiment with it".
Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kokopelli »

Did the person tell you why they did this?
no- I'm wondering if he was trying to trim it a little, and got carried away or sorta spiraled in as he went around.
I think that fedora would look awesome with a pork pie bash and a matching ribbon bound edge.
If it can't be 'refurbished by Steve' that's exactly what I thought of doing with it.
, so you can afford to risk and ruin a hat you paid 400$ and waited for a year or so? hats off!"
It's a rabbit AB, how much were they new? I picked it up cheap, mainly because it was an AB. Heck, for what I gave, the liner, ribbon and sweat are worth more.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

As I recall, the first rabbit's by Steve were in the $150 range, and the turn around time then was just a few months. It was before it all 'hit the fan' due to CS, so times were different, even up to a year and a half ago. ;-)

If the ribbon were just LITTLE bit wider, it reminds me of the hat Bruce Willis wore in 'Last Man Standing'.

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm4214396928/tt0116830

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm862428160/tt0116830

Regards! Michaelson
Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kokopelli »

Michaelson wrote:
If the ribbon were just LITTLE bit wider, it reminds me of the hat Bruce Willis wore in 'Last Man Standing'.

Regards! Michaelson

oooh, another good suggestion! This poor little bunny rabbit will be appreciated yet!
Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kokopelli »

I just noticed something-

:) < looks the same to me!
Indiana Venkman
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana Venkman »

I tell ya, get her tweaked to be a Rorschach hat, you've got the perfect base for that. ;-) :)
Don't Call Me Junior!
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Don't Call Me Junior! »

Hmm, non-Indy look and all I still think it's a pretty fine looking hat. I wouldn't change a thing!
DanielJones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DanielJones »

It sure is interesting. I wouldn't shy away from it myself, even though I prefer a wide brim on a hat. Let's see it on your head to gage how it looks on a person.

Cheers!

Dan
Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kokopelli »

IndyBlues
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndyBlues »

Great looking hat, Kokopelli. :) I bet it would look awesome with the front of the brim flipped up. I have a stingy brimmed Stetson I wear that way, and get nothing but compliments on it. It's a piece of @#$% hat, but people seem to dig it. Looking to get another in a quality brand.
Mike
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

I actually like it! And, it looks good on you! Sometimes we really do need to 'think outside of the Indy box!' And, that hat does said! W>
DanielJones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DanielJones »

You know what? It suits you perfectly. Good choice! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Cheers!

Dan
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

Restless Dreamer wrote:Hollowpound, I was not saying that only Indy's fedoras are worth of being worn. I have two or three hats that have nothing to do with "the" fedora, and still I like them.

I was just saying: I think it's crazy to try and manipulate an AB, just because you could come out in ruining it, and considering the price and the waiting time, I'd be very, VERY careful with it. It's not like "ok, I got this wool felt hat for 5 bucks, let's play and experiment with it".
I definately agree with you!!! I wouldn't have the nerve to "De-Indy" an adventurebilt, but if you got lemons...make lemonade!!!! Judging from Kokopelli's pics, thats some mighty fine lemonade! Nice hat. :clap:
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

Upon second thought, and while that would look nice as a pork pie, I think the other suggestions are better. Get a wider ribbon and everyone would be blinded by that lids awesomeness!!!
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

I'd wear it. VERY nice. Don't change a thing....maybe the ribbon if the opportunity presents itself, but only if YOU want to. It's fine as is. :)

Regards! Michaelson
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

The proportions of the hat seemed way off in your first pictures, but look great once on your head. Yet another instance of a hat coming alive on the wearer.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Agreed. You just can't tell much from a photo of a hat sitting on a table, can you? :-k

Regards! Michaelson
Restless Dreamer
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Umh...what about wearing it open crown? :Plymouth:
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

Kokopelli wrote:Image[/img]
Image[/img]
While this isn't screen accurate, I believe it is the first ever shelf accurate fedora we have had on COW!!!
We have a match!!!!
Trotsky
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Trotsky »

I saw this for saw and thought the same thing as you did:

A. And Adventurebilt for cheap!
B. They trimmed it down?!

If I would have had just a little more cash....

Oh, and btw, looks good.
Rundquist
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Rundquist »

It works. I’ve been selling all of my fedoras and this is one of the few that I’m considering keeping. Well, I’ll probably sell it, but it’s the only one I can halfway see myself wearing. Wear it in good health.

PS - It'd be better in blue. :mrgreen:
Hatch
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Hatch »

This looks the hat Frank Sinatra would have worn if he'd been an Indy gearhead.... :lol: :lol:
misfit
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by misfit »

After looking at that hat for a couple of days it has really grown on me. I am thinking of maybe doing one like it. It just grows on you
theinterchange
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Re: a Rabbit Adventurebilt 'stingy brim'

Post by theinterchange »

If done properly, a stingy brim fedora is quite dapper looking. This being one of those cases.

Randy
thecoolmiester
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by thecoolmiester »

I say dont pull some crown to brim and just die it black
like the watchmen quy's hat.
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

Rorshach's hat is a light brown, not black. The movie take place primarily at night, so it may appear black, but it is light brown. I think the exact color of the felt is pecan.

Dave
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

thecoolmiester wrote:I say dont pull some crown to brim and just die it black
like the watchmen quy's hat.

Watchmen hat was pecan color.