goatskin owners and knowers .please speak.

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Holt
Craftsman

goatskin owners and knowers .please speak.

Post by Holt »

Hi Guys,

I have been reading,searching and talking to people about the goatskin.even Peter. he was no help either.casue he didnt know,he doesnt wear his own goatskin.....

so long time owners of goatskin or people that know this hide well, please speak

does a goatskin tend to highlight towards gray, not tan or brown? Does a goatskin jacket, even one that is dyed dark brown, start to turn gray in color?

thanx
Holt
Long John Tinfoil
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Long John Tinfoil »

I've had my goatskin "Flying Tiger" (A2 style) jacket from L L Bean for nearly 20 years and, to the extent that it has faded, it's more towards tan. I've certainly never felt that it was going gray. Perhaps individual hides, dye lots or tanning processes would age differently, though.

LJ
Raider S
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Raider S »

From experience, some are grey underneath while some more brownish. If you got a leather sample I think it would help you a lot to see what it will do.
coronado3
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by coronado3 »

My wested goat is more brown... I'll post a photo later.
Don't Call Me Junior!
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Don't Call Me Junior! »

I have never noticed any hint of gray on my Wested goat. After a couple years of average wear it still looked almost brand new on the outside and very much brown. That jacket was one tough beast.
moses
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by moses »

I used to have a dark brown goat wested - about 3 years ago. I tried distressing it with acetone and sandpaper and the underlying colour was grey.
I now have an OTR authentic goat (about 1 year old) and where I've distessed it, the colour is grey.
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Hi Holt,

I took my old Wested goat into the sun today and looked at the wear. I would say it is tan with a slightly grey hue. The wear looks fantastic and very genuine.

Cheers
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

I've seen Goat hides show grey, even be grey on the back side. I've also seen them show tan. I guess it just depends on the particular hide being used and it's source?
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

thanx guys.I would really like to see some pictures of the goatjackets.
jacksdad
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by jacksdad »

I had a miltary Cooper A-2 that I gave to myy dad and I fell and scrpaed it up good, it was brown underneath, hope that helps, I'll take a good look at my wested otr goat and get back to you.
Dutch_jones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Dutch_jones »

Hey ! here's a thread I can respond my expertise too. I bought your goat jacket last year, and I love it ! its my fave jacket, but its slightly too small on me. I can't wear a sweater under it and zip it up. but t shirts work. In this weather here in holland with temps just around 10 degrees celcius, I can wear it in a blazer kind of way. The colour changes in my opinion sometimes I see it dark brown but after a rain shower it turns a bit more lighter. ( at least thats what it seems) Sorta fudge like color!

I really like this leather, but if I get another jacket I would probably get a lamb one and a size 46 instead of 44 ( its not that it tight its just short also, I need a 46 just to have some room and in length.

I don't have any pics of it sorry !
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

come on man,show some picture of my old goat.

I know you can provide some ;-)

I am really curious!
Baldwyn
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Baldwyn »

I've only had one goat, and it was a very early chrome tanned goatskin G&B. It tended towards grey, when worn.

Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

thats not grey,thats brown with a hint of grey.

if the goatskin doesnt go more grey then this,then it will actually look pretty good.
Baldwyn
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Baldwyn »

Indiana Holt wrote:thats not grey,thats brown with a hint of grey.

if the goatskin doesnt go more grey then this,then it will actually look pretty good.
The Westeds sound like they might distress to a brown anyways. It's funny, it's bothered me a bit that to my eyes it was more grey than brown. But then I'm at this bar and this guy walks in with the best Wested Indy jackets I've seen in person. The jacket was worn to a really rich patina (not so "distressed" so much as colour worn down). (Dunno who he is, if it was you in St Stephen's Green in Mountain View, lemme know!)
Michigan Smith
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Michigan Smith »

My Wested goatskin is still showing no wear, so I don't really know whats underneath it color wise. Now, years ago I decided to "distress" a LL Bean goatskin A2 replica by giving it a hot water soak and spin in the washing machine (note: very, very bad idea, do NOT do this). It took the finish almost completely off the leather. The sleeves were grey underneath, the body more brown. It took several coats of liquid leather dye to even it out, and then off to eBay it went.
jmacpix
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by jmacpix »

My 10 year old Cooper A-2 goatskin is just now starting to show some aging and its getting a wonderful dark brown patina.
indy89
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by indy89 »

I got a small scratch on the left sleeve on my 1 month old Wested Raiders in goatskin and the scratch definetly is a light brown color. Not grey/gray.
Swindiana
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Swindiana »

Holt;

Boldwyn's shot represents what mine looks like in worn places too. Dusty brownish gray sand, I think. :) It looks GREAT distressed, what more do you need to know? 8) ;-)

Regards,
Swindiana
DanielJones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DanielJones »

Well, my black goatskin TOD tends towards grey. to be expected.
But my brown goatskin Raiders does highlights to the tan for sure. And both are hard to weather & wear like iron, especially the black. I've had it for about 4 years now & it still looks new with some very minor edge wear. The satin liner on the other hand is in desperate nee of replacing.

Cheers!

Dan
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Michigan Smith wrote:My Wested goatskin is still showing no wear, so I don't really know whats underneath it color wise. Now, years ago I decided to "distress" a LL Bean goatskin A2 replica by giving it a hot water soak and spin in the washing machine (note: very, very bad idea, do NOT do this). It took the finish almost completely off the leather. The sleeves were grey underneath, the body more brown. It took several coats of liquid leather dye to even it out, and then off to eBay it went.
I put my G&B goat in the washer in warm water with soap - not a problem. If the surface came off it wasn't all that well made, I think. I have washed all my leather jackets and it has only ever helped to break them in.
Swindiana
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Swindiana »

Tough as nails, as it were. :tup:

Regards,
Swindiana