temperature test..

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

darthbish
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

temperature test..

Post by darthbish »

This is where I am right nowwwww......
http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDV60801 ... 5896.shtml
(40.8 celsius is about 106 in the old scale)

GOOD Fedora weather :shock:
jnicktem
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by jnicktem »

My fedora doesn't do me a lot of good when it is -20 to -30 BELOW zero degrees F. This week is going to be a LONG one.
inexpensive_jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by inexpensive_jones »

I'm with you jnicktem. I actually wear a cheap wool felt that doesn't have a leather sweatband on weeks like this cause it's warmer. Brrrrrr :cry:
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

Yeah, this week is gonna hurt. :? But I have a few fedoras that are quite warm. I'm breaking out the earmuffs, though! And my new sweater. Maybe even a turtleneck! (Those who know me are aware that I get very hot, very easily. So if you see me layering over a turtleneck, you know it's cold!)
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

It's coming clear down here! :shock: Temps from zero to 5 below by tomorrow.

Wind chill last night was near 9 above, but my AB and ear muffs were more than enough warmth, even in that un-heated Plymouth on the drive home from work.

Regards! Michaelson
Long John Tinfoil
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Long John Tinfoil »

Turn up the jacket collar (which I know is usually more of a protest than a protection), close up the sweater neck and bring the scarf up around your ears.

Actually, in this weather I break out my sheepskin. It's kinda heavy, compared to modern "technical" outerwear, and even though I got it new it's probably older than most on this forum, but it sure keeps you warm and toasty.

I've sometimes thought that Indy arrived at the Raven, peeked in through the shutters, took off his sheepskin for ease of movement, stashed it by the door and then made his entrance wearing only the jacket. His spare pistol he took from the pocket of the coat and tucked into his waistband in case of need.

Can a look be SA if it was never on-screen? :-k

LJ
inexpensive_jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Wind chill last night was near 9 above
That sounds like a heat wave around here. Seriously.
I checked the global weather a few days ago and it was warmer in Greenland than it is here, not only that, it's warmer at the South Pole!
I'll take a 9 above windchill right about now and go out in shorts and a t-shirt.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

I live in South Central Tennessee. 9 above aero is artic circle temps around here! :lol:

I watched the news last night from Huntsville, Ala, and they were trying to figure out how they were going to handle the amount of expected ice on the local mountain roads, as some counties only have one salt truck, and others are refitting dump trucks with salt spreaders.

We're just not outfitted for these kinds of temperatures.

Regards! Michaelson
alphared6
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by alphared6 »

Today, here in Oklahoma City, it will reach 58 F. However tomorrow it predicted to be 20 F. with wind chills of -40 F.

Where the heck is Al Gore when you need him?
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Michaelson wrote:It's coming clear down here! :shock: Temps from zero to 5 below by tomorrow.

Wind chill last night was near 9 above, but my AB and ear muffs were more than enough warmth, even in that un-heated Plymouth on the drive home from work.

Regards! Michaelson
I would like to see that. AB and earmuffs. :lol:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

It works, if you use the type that attach to your head from the back of the neck called 'Ear-Grips'. Works great!

http://www.overstock.com/Sports-Toys/Ea ... oduct.html

Where's Al Gore? He's up in Franklin, TN, shivering like the rest of us today. :lol:

Regards! Michaelson
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Michaelson wrote:It works, if you use the type that attach to your head from the back of the neck called 'Ear-Grips'. Works great!

http://www.overstock.com/Sports-Toys/Ea ... oduct.html

Where's Al Gore? He's up in Franklin, TN, shivering like the rest of us today. :lol:

Regards! Michaelson
I really want to see a pic of you with the big o stash and AB hat along with the earmuffs. That should be your avatar.

Oregon lost there de-icer when we got hit with a lot of snow and ice. My buddy from the fire department went on a run where it turned over.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

sorry RUN means call.
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

Michaelson wrote:Where's Al Gore?
Coming up with ways to justify the cold weather with all this global warming.

Seriously, though. I left the house today and went back inside to get a light jacket. Its been around 65f today and it feels great. Sorry to all you folks up north of me that are freezing your ears off. ;-)

Dave
jnicktem
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by jnicktem »

Yeah, here in Mini-Soda, it is so cold, the salt they put on the roads to clear up the ice doesn't even work, it's even too cold for that!

I am trying to remember again why I live here and not someplace warm... like the Caribbean... :-k
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

BendingOak wrote:
I would like to see that. AB and earmuffs. :lol:
I wear that combo from time to time, myself. I have the type Michaelson described, but I do it with regular earmuffs by wearing the band to the back. It looks funniest with the fuzzy ones!
jacksdad
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by jacksdad »

It's cold here in Illinois it's 9 degrees right now and going to drop tonight. I need to get ear muffs, I wesr my penman and it's warm on my head, but my ears are freezing.
Ohio Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Ohio Jones »

It is around 6 degrees in Toledo, Ohio. We have a little snow coming down. I was out at the shop at my dads place and he was out snowblowing in his carrhart and hat I made him. I told him he looked cold..and he said he was....all except for his head......
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

You guys HAVE to grab a pair of these!!! I know it sounds crazy, but they really do work, and you can't beat the price:

http://www.onlineearpops.com/store/inde ... 23169b7b8d

I have a pair and so does the wife. They are held on by the ear itself, so there is not band over or behind your head, making them pefect for hats.

Disclaimer - I'm not affiliated with this company, just love the product.

I wear them sometimes without a hat, and am completely bald, so I blow people's minds.
Indiana Blooze
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indiana Blooze »

Who says ya' can't wear Indy Gear in the winter. I blew snow yesterday at 3F, wearing my AB, lambskin Wested, and Wells Lamont 1132's, (insulated of course). I was quite comfortable. This morning, however,........ at -10F I had to wear more artic like attire, although the AB, Wested, and regular 1132's made the trip to Wally World for groceries.
jnicktem
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by jnicktem »

It's now -30 F here.... too cold to even be outside... let alone figure out what to wear.
Renderking Fisk
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Renderking Fisk »

Where's the problem? It's 13 degrees here in Southern NH. It'll be -10 tonight.

Wear an extra layer underneath your jacket, wear a scarf around your neck and ears, an long underwear under your pants. Cold? What cold?
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

jnicktem wrote:It's now -30 F here.... too cold to even be outside... let alone figure out what to wear.
Holy smokes! THAT'S a fact!! :shock:

Regards! Michaelson
Insomniac
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Insomniac »

-20 F up here + Wind Chill... :|
I'm trying to test oust my winter Indy gear!(In Extreme Conditions)
But, I'm glad I'm not alone!
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Well, we're under a wind chill warning from 9 p.m. until 9 a.m. tomorrow, with expected temps to be around 20 below. Nothing like what you guys are reporting.....but considering this is technically being posted from the 'Deep South', that's headline news down here!

The Plymouth was left in the garage today!

Regards !Michaelson
darthbish
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by darthbish »

WTF.....that's nearly -30C....GEEEEEEZUZ :shock: :shock: :shock:

we got to 110F on Wed, I'll try and send some warmth wayyyyyyy north
Travner Ravenweird
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Travner Ravenweird »

darthbish wrote: I'll try and send some warmth wayyyyyyy north
I think I speak for most of us above the center of the country when I say thank you very much, we'll take anything you can spare. Heat, blankets, old newspapers to stuff inside our clothes...

-15 F now, -31 with the windchill, but it's supposed to warm up to 6 above tomorrow, WooHoo! I'll be able to wear my light parka!
Renderking Fisk
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

I was just thinking about this thread while standing at the end of the drive way waiting for the bus that never came...

If you don't think about the cold, it's not cold. Having a 6 year old child who wants to go sliding - and convinces you to do so - will keep you warm and you might just build up some serious heat.

:Fisk:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Of course the frost bitten toes will remind you later of the error of that decision..... :-k :lol:

Yeah, Ren, I do remember those days. It's been too long....

Regards! Michaelson
inexpensive_jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Well I just checked the globe and it's warmer just about everywhere else in the world but here today. The South Pole is +10, Greenland is +22, Iceland is +35, Hudson Bay is -10, and the Minnesota is -29. The good news is I can wear my AB and leather jacket in the house today! We need a shivering emoticon.
Travner Ravenweird
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Travner Ravenweird »

inexpensive_jones wrote: We need a shivering emoticon.
I was thinking that very thing last night as I was typing.
Indiana Gregory
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Indiana Gregory »

It's -13 F at the moment, up from -17 F earlier. I've got some of those earmuffs that work with a fedora. They look a bit odd (I think) with the fedora, but they keep my ears from freezing and falling off; and I'd rather wear the fedora instead of a stocking hat!
gabrielle
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by gabrielle »

-20 with the wind chill here in PA. Attire...down jacket, scarf, gloves and my Penman.

:-k
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Well, we're NO where near you guys temp wise today. It was 4 degrees above zero here in South Central Tennessee, so NOTHING like what you have going on. That said, though, it's interesting to see how electrical equipment not used to temps like this is reacting. We don't have the kind of insulation you have up there, and so far we've had one plasma flatscreen act up, and one computer die for no reason other than cold temp seapage into the University building.

Oh, and I'm originally from Ohio, so it's not like I've never experienced 'cold' like you're talking about. I have 'warm' memories of crawling around under a house during the winter of 1976 trying to fix a broken water line with wind chills of 40 below zero howling outside the foundation and through the vents....... :shock:

Stay warm, guys. These are dangerous conditions we're talking about. Be sure to check on your pets and older family members and friends and make sure they have heat today......

Regards! Michaelson
Mighty_Draw
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Mighty_Draw »

Its winter? Gee, it was a nice 75 degrees here in Southern California. Too windy though to enjoy it. It was so warm I didn't need my wested this morning! :lol:
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

And it's 83 today! :cry: I wish there were seasons in CA...

Shane
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

22 degrees here in Tennessee with snow flurries.

Regards! Michaelson
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

Michaelson wrote:. . . with snow flurries.
Oh, those are good! Do you get them with the Oreo crumbs mixed in, or the Butterfinger crumbs?

:-k :[

Shane
Renderking Fisk
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

The best part about the temperature that's hovering around zero is that when it returns to the high 20's and low 30's, it feels so tropical. It was 32 and I felt like wearing shorts!
Imahomer
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Imahomer »

Man, I am SOOOooooo glad I don't live out where you guys live in the cold. It's 71 around here today (which is a little warmer than normal). I had to go back in the house after I left and dump off my jacket and change from my jeans to shorts. :roll:
Indiana MarkVII
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Opions still vary...

Post by Indiana MarkVII »

Here is a link to an article that explains why the east part of the US can get cold during global warming.
http://www.commondreams.org/views04/0130-11.htm
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

SWEET!!! I'm getting my skis sharpened! Look out New Hampshire, here I come!
darthbish
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by darthbish »

send some cold air my way......
97F
103F
99F
the past three days.....KIND'VE OVER THIS WHOLE HEAT THING! :oops:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Yeah, but it's SUMMER down there. That's what we had a few months ago, so it's YOUR turn now. :lol:

Regards! Michaelson
Long John Tinfoil
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Long John Tinfoil »

At least it's a dry heat...
Last edited by Long John Tinfoil on Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
darthbish
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by darthbish »

that Hicks or Hudson.......can't remember??