Horseplay

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

DoubleOhSeven
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Horseplay

Post by DoubleOhSeven »

It's funny how it seems that jacket collecting becomes an addiction. I have decided, though I'm not sure why, to get another Indy jacket. The ones I have already (a Wested lamb and a US Wings LE) are great jackets, but I want something that's not afraid of getting nasty should I wear it hunting, or outside in the elements.

I have been a long-standing fan of horse hide for its durability. I have a few original WWII bomber/flight jackets made out of horse, and they are built like a tank. Wested seems to have a very good offerring in this hide, and I am fairly certain I've read on here before that people have high praise for this particular Wested jacket.

Any thoughts or opinions?
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

I have nothing but good things to say about Wested's HH. I washed it to take off some of the shine and have been wearing it as often as I can. It's really growing quite soft and supple. I got everything with reinforced stitching so it's a really rugged jacket.
Imahomer
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Imahomer »

I recently got a horse hide A-2 and I'll never go back to any other type of leather.
jacksdad
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by jacksdad »

I have 2 horsehide A-2's and let me tell ya it's one tuff leather and very very warm. Mine are really thick though, I don't know how thick wested's are, but horsehide is very warm over all.
Imahomer
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Imahomer »

I agree that it's warmer than you'd expect. I really like the look of it too. It seems to break in quickly and it has a great look to it.
Jakob Emiliussen
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Jakob Emiliussen »

I've got a Raiders-style Wested in HH (off the rack), and I can't say enough about how nice it is. If you where to go on a real adventure, I think Horsehide would be the way to go, not lamb!

Anyway, it's build like it's meant to survive WW3 and drapes very nicely. It's quite SA even in real life, not only in pics :)

I say: Go for it, you won't regret it!
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

I think if Indy had been a real person with a real jacket in the era he's depicted, the jacket would have been Horse, Goat or Cowhide, not Lamb.
If you want HH go for it.
Marv
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Marv »

I agree, in the mid to late thirties the USAAC had been using the new A2 jacket which was predominently made from horsehide, even though steerhide and goatskin were also used.
So I would think that Indy's jacket would most definately have been made from horsehide with it being a tough leather and readly available in large quantities.
Tremolo
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tremolo »

Horse hide seems to be a good choice. Do you think it is as warm as cowhide or even warmer?
Jens
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Jens »

Can't go wrong with a horsehide. I own one several years now and it served me very well. I have to admit, I gave it a hard time "in the field" and it still is tough and durable as on its first day.

It's stiff in the beginning, that's true, but it shaped much faster than my older goatskin jacket and it lost the "shine" faster, too.
Though it is indeed much heavier than other leather jackets I never felt loaden or something like that, while wearing it - I didn't notice any additional weight at all.
Because of the thicker leather it's also noticeably warmer than let's say lamb and even goat ('though this might be a subjective impression) - making this a good jacket for the seasons "in between" (spring, autumn).

Since I also have worn it in the desert evenings and mornings I can confirm that a horsehide jacket does distress naturally very, very well. It loses its shine and stiffnes after a few days and develops a nice patina during time (with some greyish-brown undertone, where the leather surface is rubbed away ...).
Rundquist
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Rundquist »

There's only one choice for toughest Indy jacket (in my opinion). That's a G&B goatskin Expedition. The hide is tough as nails and that baby aint gonna come apart on you. The construction is just as important as the hide integrity.
DoubleOhSeven
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by DoubleOhSeven »

Thanks, ya'll!

I'll be ordering one shortly!
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Rundquist wrote:There's only one choice for toughest Indy jacket (in my opinion). That's a G&B goatskin Expedition. The hide is tough as nails and that baby aint gonna come apart on you. The construction is just as important as the hide integrity.
I concur.

Regards! Micahelson
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

If G and B came up with a HH jacket, you could run over trucks with them instead of just being dragged behind.
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

HAHA so true

Nibs
blueoakleyz
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by blueoakleyz »

Could Indy's jacket, from the look of it on screen, conceivably been a different type of leather?

Remember most things in hollywood aren't what they are meant to be like styrofoam rocks or one wall'd buildings etc... it could have meant to be different

is horse hide comfy/soft?
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

Usually the wardrobe is pretty standard unless they have a harness or something underneath. The set designs are usually the things that "trick" the audience i.e. the wall on the left of Indy that shakes when he barely touches it at the "leap of faith" scene, the tree branch Indy hits over Dovchenko's head is rubber, the same goes for the rock that Pat Roach hits Harrison with on the conveyor belt in TOD. But as far as materials go, they usually stick to the norm. That's why they have so many pieces of each part of clothing.

Nibs
Browncoat
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Browncoat »

When I first saw the movie and became interested in the jacket (some time before the internet was created and all this great info was readily available), I always believe the jacket was cow for all 3 movies.

So technically the jacket could be what you believe it to be onscreen. But knowing the reality makes it tough.

I am surprised the OP doesn't think the US Wings LE jacket would not take a beating. I have an LE and it is a quality jacket.

It isn't horsehide but I bet it takes to the elements and abuse just was well as a Wested simply because the construction (ie stitching and reinforcements) would be better than the Wested HH.
JimL
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by JimL »

I have two horsehide jackets, one Wested, one Schott, and I have to say that I think that Horse is the best hide for a jacket bar none.

I have owned (breifly) lamb and for several years goat. Goat is nice, and certainly tough for it's thickness, but Horse is traditional, durable, and just has the right look as it ages. Like a good pair of jeans, it just gets better with age. The more fragile Lambskins will look older faster, but they will not 'endure' like Goat or Horse.

I also think 'old' cow/steer hide is excellent; however modern tanning techniques are making these hides more 'user friendly' wih better 'hand' and 'drape' while sacrificing toughness to do so. I am quite frankly scared for those who would go into a Harley-Davidson dealer to get a jacket. What they come out with is expensive, ugly, and will not offer the protection of a traditionally made jacket of (OLD) cow hide or horse. If you just want the biker look (and HD logo on your back) more power to ya!

These are generalizations, and my opinion of course.