Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Chris_King
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Presenting Tony Nowak - Indy 1 jacket #27

Post by Chris_King »

Hi everyone,

I managed to get some time to try my Tony Nowak Indy1 jacket (#27 / 888) on my Ford sized mannequin this evening. Here's a couple of photos. I'll be interested to hear people's thoughts.

Chris
Indiana Williams
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Williams »

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: Looks great, Chris. Now that youve had the jacket a couple days, how is it sitting with you?
Hatch
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Hatch »

The length looks good, think you were worried it was short.......can you give pic of the back....interested to know what G and Holt have to say about the collar........looks good,,,,,Hatch
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

... how does one say... DEAD ON! :shock:
;-)

Seriously nice jacket, very much like the one in the opening sequence. I would have personally made it a tiny bit longer. I don't know a lot about these jackets but do they come custom made? What's the pocket size? We definitely need more pictures but the first outlook is promising
Last edited by Erri on Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

looks GREAT chris..but I need more detail shots.side shots.back shots.pockets.

why? casue I need some convincing ;-)

would you mind?

bests
Eric
Chris_King
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chris_King »

Thanks guys.

Eric - I'll take some more pics at the weekend. The length actually works pretty well on the mannequin (but it's too short for me at the back. I guess I've got a longer torso than the mannequin).

I didn't want to have any measurements changed on it because I wanted an exact copy of the Harrison Ford jacket that Tony measured. The pocket size is 6.5 x 8 inches but I'm trying to get to the bottom of whether that's the result of KT Templar's / Indiana G's pocket template or whether that's the size of the pocket Tony measured.

I intentionally positioned the collar like you see in the pics because I'm not convinced that the collar really needs to be any longer. If you get the shirt in the correct position and the jacket in the correct position, the end result is very close to how you see it on Ford.

Here's a side by side comparison showing my Todd's custom jacket vs Tony's version.

Chris
Last edited by Chris_King on Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fortune and Glory
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Fortune and Glory »

Dude, that is THE jacket to my eye.

What's interesting to me is how the right/our left corner looks so much longer given the way the jacket swoops down when unzipped. And look at the top of the pocket on that side compared to the other. I can absolutely see how this cut could appear both long and short, given the camera's placement within a specific scene. And would look significantly shorter when zipped up, as in The Raven. Obviously there were a number of jacket with a number of different specs, but this cut would be incredibly influenced by posture and add to the seeming variety.

It screams Indiana Jones to me. That hide just looks bang-on...
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

ohhhh...great idea my friend.

could you do a compare between the wested and TN.

look really great so far.actually it looks about the same size from the front..

best regards
Eric
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

Chris_King wrote: I didn't want to have any measurements changed on it because I wanted an exact copy of the Harrison Ford jacket that Tony measured.
Very wise indeed. Perhaps the lenght effect that I see is due to the fact that it's on a mannequin.
I'm sorry if this has been said plenty of other times in at least 10 other threads but which jacket from Raiders did Tony had copied? Do we know?
Again sorry if it has been asked, I've been kinda... alien to all these discussions but your pictures sure awakened some interest!!
Dutch_jones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Dutch_jones »

Chris the 6x8 is not from KT templars template, that was only the pocket flap design I think. the 6x8 is from Tony's measurements.
indyrocks
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by indyrocks »

Wow Chris the drape of the leather is simply IT.
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

I'd say that is it. Someone will be checking the vault to if a jacket is missing.

Are the pocket flaps sewn at the top like #001/888? Can't tell from the photos.
Browncoat
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Browncoat »

The jacket looks really great. These jackets really need to be seen worn (or in this case, on a mannequin) to really see the fit and finish. Closer and closer to talking myself into getting one.
PSBIndy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by PSBIndy »

Great looking jacket. For about $700 less, though, I think my Novapelle looks just as nice.
Rundquist
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Rundquist »

Great looking jacket. I'm ready for mine. :mrgreen:
Baldwyn
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Baldwyn »

Rundquist wrote:Great looking jacket. I'm ready for mine. :mrgreen:
Did you get a Novapelle? :)

Sorry, couldn't resist. Chris, that's a fine looking jacket there, I hope living with it has improved your outlook. But I think it'd fit me quite well if it hasn't :)
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

I think its GREAT! I can't save up my money fast enough!

I totally agree with you Chris on the collar, the way you have it placed is spot on and I highly doubt the collar was extended. I love the way the light in the photos captures this jacket. As with bink's, it highlights the skin patterns in some spots, mutes it back in others. Just as we see on film and in stills that have been popping up.

I hope you're becoming content with it, because I'm more and more convinced that this is THE jacket.
moviematt1989
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by moviematt1989 »

This is a pretty stinking cool jacket...ridiculously expensive...but it really looks cool. THE Jacket?, if you think so that's all that counts right?. It's got the cut for sure, the collar is great!, the hide is pretty rugged and defiantly feels like so many screenshots I remember.

But one thing I think about is if your atop a hill on a windy day, is that jacket gonna billow like an Indy jacket? is it gonna flap up on your back when you get a knuckle sandwich and fall to the dirt? is it light like that?....

But that jacket is very cool and awesome keep it on the mannequin

Matt
Yojimbo Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Yojimbo Jones »

_ wrote:Did that compliment hurt the back of your hand?
LOL

I think he may have put his wrist out.
Yojimbo Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Yojimbo Jones »

moviematt1989 wrote:...is that jacket gonna billow like an Indy jacket? is it gonna flap up on your back when you get a knuckle sandwich and fall to the dirt? is it light like that?...
Yeah, I'm ore than sold, but I'm curious about this - what's the weight of these like and how do they react?

Can someone who's got one organise a big bald mechanic/boxer to beat the snot out of them and let us know?
Nebraska Brad
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Nebraska Brad »

I think Chris has proven what I have been thinking all along about the collar. Of course we know there were different jackets used in the film but we have to remember that clothing "reacts" and if allowed will drape, billow, sag etc. with some degree of freedom so we cannot expect every screen cap or promo shot to show a jacket(s) looking the same. My .02

-Nebraska
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

moviematt1989 wrote:But one thing I think about is if your atop a hill on a windy day, is that jacket gonna billow like an Indy jacket? is it gonna flap up on your back when you get a knuckle sandwich and fall to the dirt? is it light like that?....
From wearing mine, I would have to say yes. But I ain't gonna be a punching bag! :lol:
Neolithic
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Neolithic »

By Jupiter, you've got it close. :o
Maybe just fold that left hand side pocket a little more... :lol:

Image Image
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

I'd love to see it straightened out on the mannequin. The collar looks dead on but as you can see by doing that is makes one side too short and the large pockets look like they're almost up to the armpit. Overall it still looks fantastic. The color, drape and leather looks great.

Do you think it's too short, Chris? Make sure you get some pics of the back, please.
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

that looks great chris! i hope you get to enjoy the jacket on your person as the real magic is in how the hide molds to your body :)

i would like to add my 2 cents though. you have captured the waterfall pose in regards to collar placement in how it lines up with the shirt collar.....but bare in mind that the waterfall jacket's collar is folded down on its collar stand and the jacket is riding back on his shoulders....compensating for a longer and larger collar...in my humble opinion.

by my experience with the design of the TN1, i am assuming that the jacket is 'shark finning' in the back as you have pulled the jacket up quite high on the shoulders (another imperfection in the design of the original jackets)......in order to get the collar to line up nicely with the shirt.

this is all my speculation of course as i don't know the sizing of the mannequin....i just know that bink's, tony's, and my jacket (IW's) had the collar riding quite high on the shoulders......maybe we all have too big of shoulders? i don't know. i am quite skeptical that you can get this look with the standard TN collar:

i know there will be many that disagree with me, in that the standard collar is too short based on the phenomenal job you have done with your display, but i just wanted to throw that out there in opposition to the 'bang on' and 'dead on' comments.......it's the stitch nazi in me and i certainly do not mean to offend.....we will just agree to disagree
:)
Jakob Emiliussen
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Jakob Emiliussen »

Wow - that's spot on as far as I'm concerned. I might even mistake it for the actual screenused costume :shock: . The only giveaway I can think of, is that you mannequin is wearing ANYTHING - as far as I have learned, most of the original costume from Raiders, has been lost, is in a private collection or was destroyed during filming.

Regards Emiliussen
:notworthy:
Mac
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Mac »

Indiana G wrote:it's the stitch nazi in me and i certainly do not mean to offend

IMAGINE! sigh
Upon further reflection, maybe, sometimes, "good enough" doesn't just doesn't cut it. :lol:

It looks spectacular, congratulations.

- Mac
Last edited by Mac on Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

holt and i should use that as our avatar :lol:

'cept i'll photoshop mark david chapman's face onto yoko's

:Plymouth:
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

That's pretty much the motto of a whole lot of the board lately. How time changes things.
Last edited by agent5 on Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Nice jacket. I like the new TN's a lot BUT the Todds actually looks more like what I see on screen. The TN pockets are quite high, aren't they?

As I've said before, I think the TN and the G&B are quite similar. They are both very well made and pretty screen accurate. And both are based on a jacket (albeit a different one) that features in just a small amount of footage.

The first TN was clearly a lot differerent to those we see in detail in movie scenes - the lack of pocket piping just being one problematic feature. Gradually the TN is changing to be more like a Wested, it seems. Screen accuracy isn't what it used to be around here and that's a good thing.

All this is okay with me. The one thing the TN has over all the others is the way it sits on the shoulders. And I think he has captured the essence of a Raiders jacket regardless of accuracy. Some Westeds I've seen are kind of lifeless...

This hobby just gets more interesting with every new contender.
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

Nice jacket. I don't think it's worth the price though

NIBS
PLATON
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by PLATON »

I agree with CM. The pockets are placed too high. Maybe this is a result of the jacket being too short which is why I am still not convinced that the jacket TN copied was the one HF wore.

I have a photo from Hawaii somewhere that shows the jacket wasn't short. Let me find it...

I must say also that from the distance Chris' photo is taken the dino leather doesn't seem too annoying.
SpeedRcrX
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by SpeedRcrX »

I like more and more this jacket, the drape is perfect!
PLATON
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by PLATON »

Ha here it is

Not too short!!!

Chris please take a side photo of your mannequin so that we can all see.
Chris_King
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chris_King »

I'll take some pics at the weekend.

The front length of this jacket is exactly the same as my Todd's custom.

Interesting to note that the storm flap IS wider than all other jackets I've owned. It's 1.75" wide on Tony's jacket.

I think the pockets are looking a bit high because of the way I've draped the jacket. As agent5 requested, I'll take some more pics at the weekend with the collar straightened out. They ARE big pockets though (perhaps a little too big for my tastes).

I still don't know what to think of the leather. In the pics it looks great but I'm still not won over by it in person - particularly the heavily textured hide that Tony used on the front panels of the jacket.

If anyone is interested in buying this jacket, please contact me because I may consider selling it if I just can't get used to the leather. My name is not written on the inscription, so it's perfect for anyone else to own.

Chris
PLATON
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by PLATON »

Long jacket

Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

dont be fooled by the way Ford stands.when leaning forward the jacket will appear much longer.try it yourself.
Indiana Strones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Indiana Strones »

agree
PLATON
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by PLATON »

dont be fooled by the way Ford stands.when leaning forward the jacket will appear much longer.try it yourself.
Holt, I don't mean the relation of the bottom of the jacket with his leg, bag or whatever. I am talking the length of the jacket itself. That won't change no matter how you lean.

Check at the length of the storm flap.
rick5150
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by rick5150 »

The pockets on the TN Raiders jackets look too big - at least in relation to the jackets they are on. They give the appearance of taking up half of the front panel - even though they do not in reality. But that is what would happen if you took a standard-sized pocket and then shortened the length of the jacket. The pocket will appear too big as well as being placed too high. An additional 2" in the length of the body would make a big difference.
Hatch
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Hatch »

rick5150 wrote:The pockets on the TN Raiders jackets look too big - at least in relation to the jackets they are on. They give the appearance of taking up half of the front panel - even though they do not in reality. But that is what would happen if you took a standard-sized pocket and then shortened the length of the jacket. The pocket will appear too big as well as being placed too high. An additional 2" in the length of the body would make a big difference.
But then wouldn't have the prototype for the CS jacket ???
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

The pockets on the TN Raiders jackets look too big - at least in relation to the jackets they are on. They give the appearance of taking up half of the front panel
More than half from what I can see. It almost looks to hug the bottom of the arm pit.
Chris_King
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chris_King »

As I mentioned, these ARE large pockets (6.5 inches wide x 8 inches tall) and they are positioned 2 inches from the bottom of the jacket.

However, there was definitely some jackets worn by Ford which had larger pockets. Look at the scene where Indy and Sallah are lifting the Ark out. Also, I'd say that the jacket featured in the studio shots from the idol scenes have the smallest pocket of any jackets worn.

Chris
indyrocks
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by indyrocks »

Chris_King wrote:As I mentioned, these ARE large pockets (6.5 inches wide x 8 inches tall) and they are positioned 2 inches from the bottom of the jacket.

However, there was definitely some jackets worn by Ford which had larger pockets. Look at the scene where Indy and Sallah are lifting the Ark out. Also, I'd say that the jacket featured in the studio shots from the idol scenes have the smallest pocket of any jackets worn.

Chris
I agree. There were different jackets in Raiders. And Tony will verify that himself. The bottom line is Tony can exactly copy one of them for sure. If as a customer, someone feels like smaller or larger pockets are more true to how a Raiders jacket should look in their eyes, then they should make the appropriate request. I know I'm going to be happy to have a replica of what Tony had, even if it was only worn for one scene. I don't think there is a universal pocket measurement, as Chris has implied.
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

I'm just waiting to see a jacket with pockets one inch less in size diagonally and horizontally. I think that'll be it for me. The collar is obviously a bit longer than the Todd's shown and that's a good thing to me.
indyrocks
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by indyrocks »

I think one of the most interesting things about the Indy I, which doesn't show unless you wear it, is how it tries to fall off your torso. That is one of the strongest characteristics in my opinion. Tony said he didn't even realize how it would happen until he made his first one. He said it has to do with the construction of the jacket. Pretty cool stuff......
Satipo
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Satipo »

PLATON wrote:Long jacket

Is this the same Hawaii jacket Tony copied? Those pockets don't look that big to me.
Chris_King
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chris_King »

No, not the same jacket.
The jacket in Platon's screen grab was filmed at Elstree.
According to Tony, the jacket he copied is the one seen in the exterior shots filmed on location in Hawaii.

agent5 - do you think that pcokets 7 inches x 5.5 inches would be correct? I think 5.5 inches would be too narrow.

Chris
Satipo wrote: Is this the same Hawaii jacket Tony copied? Those pockets don't look that big to me.
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

You're right. 7" x 6" would be more like it.
Satipo
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Satipo »

Chris_King wrote:No, not the same jacket.
The jacket in Platon's screen grab was filmed at Elstree.
According to Tony, the jacket he copied is the one seen in the exterior shots filmed on location in Hawaii.
But this is the shot which is at the end of Indy climbing the hill to the temple entrance. It's just a close up shot of Indy and Satipo preparing to enter the temple which looks to me like it was shot outside the fake temple entrance in Hawaii. Look at the pocket flap - it has the same fold on the left edge as this one:

I think the Elstree shots commence only when Indy is inside the cave with his collar up, making his way through the cobwebs.