No gunbelt in half of KotCS?!

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

IndianaBogart
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: ...listening to a tinny piano playing in the parlor downstairs....

No gunbelt in half of KotCS?!

Post by IndianaBogart »

Has anybody else noticed that for about the second half of CS Indy doesn't have his gunbelt? I think it starts after Indy is captured after they get out of the dry sand pit. But anyway....he has his whip hanging off his web belt, but he doesn't have his holster, gun, or gunbelt. :-k
Switch625
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Switch625 »

Yeah there used to be lots of threads about it. I imagine that if there's another movie, he won't have the gun at all.
IndyGeek78
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndyGeek78 »

Probably because Spielberg has gone soft on us. Indy doesnt even fire a gun. If he says it's due to the Russians taking his weapon then surely they would take his whip :x
conceited_ape
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by conceited_ape »

Switch625 wrote:Yeah there used to be lots of threads about it. I imagine that if there's another movie, he won't have the gun at all.
Seems that's where it's headed. :roll:
IndianaBogart
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndianaBogart »

I imagine that if there's another movie, he won't have the gun at all.
Great. :|

I'm sorry, but what happened to the face-shooting Indy from Raiders?!?!?!?!?! Or the 3-people-with-one-shot Indy from LC?!?!?!?!?! Even in TOD when he didn't even have his gun, he still had his gunbelt and holster. It's just part of his gear! Why do George and Steven have to wimp out on us?! :x

Ok, sorry. Rant is over. I never noticed the other threads on this, so that's why I posted this.
IndyGeek78
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndyGeek78 »

We'll probably even have a CG indy after all we did have CG monkies and Gophers :x :x :x
IndianaBogart
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndianaBogart »

Guys, I feel the same as you all do, but let's not turn this into a CS bashing thread, lest we get it shut down.

*Sorry mods, not trying to do your job for you or anything, just trying to keep the thread I posted from getting out of hand. :oops:
Switch625
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Switch625 »

Yes, Lucas and Spielberg have gone soft on us. Everybody knows that. However, I do find it difficult to believe, as the time period in the films moves forward, that someone can walk around with a gun and a whip on their hips and get away with it.

I do miss Indy's "shoot first and ask questions later" approach from Raiders, though.
McFly
Scoundrel

Re: No gunbelt in half of KotCS?!

Post by McFly »

IndianaBogart wrote:Has anybody else noticed that for about the second half of CS Indy doesn't have his gunbelt?
He doesn't have it much of the first half either. He HAS it from when they get to *insert S.American country from the film here* until when he gets captured.

Shane
IndianaBogart
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndianaBogart »

I do miss Indy's "shoot first and ask questions later" approach from Raiders, though.
I heartily agree with you. :(
schmidty612
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by schmidty612 »

It could be worse, Spielberg could go back to the first three and CGI out all of the guns and replace them with walkie-talkies. (shudder)
alphared6
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by alphared6 »

Now wait! Indy did fire the RPG in CS which he did not in Raiders. At least they through us THAT bone!

Eh?

:[
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

Ya ever since the first pic of Indy, Mutt, Mac, Marion entering the treasure room came out we have been outraged at the sight of his whip hanging off his WEB belt :x

NIBS
IndianaBogart
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndianaBogart »

Yes, I just don't see how having the whip on the web belt is practical at all. :-k Why couldn't Debra Nadoolman have been the costume designer for CS? :(
conceited_ape
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by conceited_ape »

IndianaBogart wrote:Yes, I just don't see how having the whip on the web belt is practical at all. :-k Why couldn't Debra Nadoolman have been the costume designer for CS? :(
That's kinda like asking, 'Why didn't Lawrence Kasdan write the Indy 4 script?'

The answer... :-
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

IndianaBogart wrote:Yes, I just don't see how having the whip on the web belt is practical at all. :-k Why couldn't Debra Nadoolman have been the costume designer for CS? :(
It's practical because of this: Put your gunbelt and whip on LC style, then try to take off your gunbelt without removing your whip! Now try it again with the whip holder through your web belt. Still doesn't work... So try it again with the belt backwards!

That's why they did it this way for CS. I don't like it, but I can't disagree that it's more user-friendly.

Shane
hollywood1340
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by hollywood1340 »

And +1 for McFly! The real world rears it's ugly head again!
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

:lol: Thanks. Just put it right in my account. I should say though that I don't mean to come off abrasively, if I do. I'm just saying... that's why it's practical.

Shane
hollywood1340
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by hollywood1340 »

Oh, of course not, just doing my best to point out the obvious ;D Keep up the good work on your videos btw!
Henry Jones III
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Henry Jones III »

I think it's okay that he didn't have a gun for half of the film. It would've been better than him having it and not using it. THAT would've been going soft.
Terrasolo
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Terrasolo »

I think it's fine that he didn't really use it. it seems to me that at this point in his life he carries it more as a last resort. He's been through a lot of wars and a lot of deaths. he could have found that at this point in his life he would prefer to not see anymore if he can help it.

He still had fight in him and could hold his own so that was fine with me.

Personally if they used the whip for swinging, rescues and disarming - as they did in this film - and the gun for shooting warning shots or objects then i would be fine with that. He a different man now. I expect that we all will be at that age and time in our life.
Treadwell
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Treadwell »

Um, he doesn't have it because he's been captured by the bad guys and has been disarmed. By the time he escapes he's part of a multi-vehicle convoy. How was he supposed to reacquire his gunbelt? Who knows which vehicle it was in.

There might be many good arguments to support the theory that Spielberg and/or Lucas have gone soft. This is not one of them.
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

He's practically captured the entire movie though, isn't he? He's captured at the beginning and then he escapes and then he gets captured again at the end! He didn't HAVE to get captured and disarmed...

Shane
Treadwell
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Treadwell »

So you're suggesting that the storytelling decisions should have been based upon making sure Indy always wears his gunbelt?
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

This film was set in the post war '50's. The practice of 'open carry' was pretty much frowned on after the world war, and many governments completely banned the carry of any weapons into a country from the outside, as revolution was rampant throughout many parts of the world during this time period.

Personally, considering the time period this was set, I was kind of surprised to see him being able to carry his weapon as much as he did in the film, if it were to be period correct.

I brought this up a LONG time ago when someone asked about what gear Indy would carry if the films was set after WW2 (this was well before CS was ever on radar), and my thought was a shoulder holstered Smith and Wesson .38, or Colt .45, but well hidden.

I still think this way, as I remember the 50's, and remember the Cold War well. I even remember the weekly 'drop, duck and cover' drills in our classrooms. No one trusted anyone else, and no one wanted the other guy to know exactly what he had up his sleeve at any given time.

Regards! Michaelson
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

Treadwell wrote:So you're suggesting that the storytelling decisions should have been based upon making sure Indy always wears his gunbelt?
No, I'm simply saying that the storytelling decisions are based on ideas by Steven and George... and that because of this, you CAN blame them. ;-) :twisted:

Shane
DAVIDUGLY
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by DAVIDUGLY »

How is the whip hanging there then?
It looks like it starts hanging half way down the back of the MKVII bag.
Isn't his whip hangy doo dad on the gun belt?
IndianaBogart
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndianaBogart »

No, in KotCS his whip holder is on his web belt.
Mark Brody
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Mark Brody »

Indy wore the whip on his web belt in LC. Why is it suddenly faux pas for him to do so in KotCS? Reference here.
IndianaBogart
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndianaBogart »

'Cause in LC both belts went through the whip holder, and in KotCS only the web belt goes through the whip holder.
golpeo_rapidamente
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by golpeo_rapidamente »

There was a lot more missing in Crummy Skull than the holster,trust me