Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Chris_King
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re: TN and leather...

Post by Chris_King »

Thanks for clarifying this _.

I must say that I can't find any photos / screen grabs which show Ford's Raiders jacket with such a prominent "dinosaur" effect hide that Tony is using. Maybe the original jackets have really deteriorated to a point where the skin has developed this over-exaggerated surface finish?

Chris
_ wrote:All,

I've been getting PM'd and emailed quite a bit these last few days. A topic I did not realize had been raised.

I'll just be clear - the leather Tony Nowak is using for the Indy I is not embossed or otherwise altered. Tony does not use "altered" leathers as they tend to not be durable.

The mistake is, I suppose, understandable. Many of us only have the Wested to use as a reference. Those leathers have - for every example I've seen - been made with leathers that have been sanded. This is common for fashion leathers as the surface is almost wholly uniform. That is the leather that might be used for your girlfriend's mini-skirt or those funky jacket women love that do not go below their sternum? Anyway, to each their own...

Those of you that own a FS or USW are used to variation in grain - sometimes dramatic. In fact, just about the coolest jacket I own is an Aero Bronco A2 in what they call "jerky" horsehide. The jerky hide is naturally occuring across all leathers - some of the most distinctive being goat and kangaroo... Some pretty wild grains - like what we see in some of Tony's examples.

Anyway, that pattern is not embossed. It is natural. Some of us just don't get exposed to that natural quality in skins.

Up to this point, I've ignored that a certain vendor started this rumor. I'm going to assume other exchanges have clarified why that is intolerable...
D
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by D »

I agree. I don't think TN is trying to use a leather that replicates what is in the movie. I think he is using a leather that replicates what he had in front of him. I'm sure those jackets were put through a lot on set, and maybe even after. Personally, I like the leather. If you could buy a jacket from raiders today, I bet it would look all wrinkly. I think that's what these jackets/leather are about, what the jacket would be like today.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Re: TN and leather...

Post by Michaelson »

_ wrote:In fact, I believe I was the first owner of the only deerskin Expedition. That was fantastic leather...
I had one too if you'll recall. Personally I had problems with mine, but that's old news. :lol: ;-)

Regards! Michaelson
Satipo
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Satipo »

Are you sure the effect on TN's leather is totally natural and that it hasn't undergone a special tanning process? It looks exactly like the "antique" lambskin on my Avirex A2, which I believe had been described as having been through a "hand tanning" process to get that aged effect.
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

If you closely examine some of the photos of movie jackets that have been posted around here, you will see in some areas where the grain is natural, more defined and not 'fine'.
Most of the photos however do appear to be a 'smoother' surface though. A completely smooth surface isn't that natural.
jacksdad
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by jacksdad »

You know your right about the skins, I went and looked at my wested goat then my A-2 horsehide,after reading this post very differnt in grain. My wested is more like my leather suit jacket then my A-2. I still love it though but it's weird that I didn't notice before. I just got a goat Indy wings and it has the regular leather jacket grain like the a-2 rather than like the wested skin. You learn something new everyday and that is one of things I love about COW.
Ark Hunter
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Ark Hunter »

I thought this topic was something regarding Tennessee. You might want to spell out the title. :) (would make it easier to search also)
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tennessee Smith »

Ark Hunter wrote:I thought this topic was something regarding Tennessee. You might want to spell out the title. :) (would make it easier to search also)

:rolling:
That was the funniest thing I've read all day... and yes I know it had nothing to do with me... still, it was funny. :lol:
rick5150
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by rick5150 »

Ark Hunter wrote:I thought this topic was something regarding Tennessee. You might want to spell out the title. :) (would make it easier to search also)
Living in New Hampshire, I have done the same thing. I would read "NH gear for sale!" Then I would think, woohoo! I could pick it up in person.

Oh, Noel Howard gear... That's a different story.

Of course SD hats are Steve Delk and not South Dakota.
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Castor Dioscuri »

Why can't we either refer to the vendors by either first or last name when referencing them? Would save alot of confusion... I mean, I don't remember anyone referring to Peter Botwright as PB on CoW too often in the past...
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

But "PB" has referred to Peters Brothers (hats). ;-)
Piers
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Piers »

PB =

Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Now you're making me hungry. :lol:
rick5150
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by rick5150 »

Mike wrote:Now you're making me hungry. :lol:

...says Mike Marosy. AKA:

Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

:rolling:

Great. I just had to explain to those around my why a burst of laughter just boomed from my cubicle.
Hatch
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Hatch »

Getting back on track, I quess this is what we've all been doing with the washing,crumpling,throwing in the corner or down the stairs,trying to get some texture or grain into a too smooth lambskin......thats what always bugged me about my original Wested from 10 yrs ago,it looked to much like a dressy fashion leather and not as rugged as I wanted and thus the reason began to experiment with distressing , aging ,soaking........Hatch
junior
Archaeologist
Archaeologist
Location: Location: Location - the most important thing in real estate

Post by junior »

Mike wrote:Now you're making me hungry. :lol:
....you wouldn't like me when I'm hungry."