My Todd's Standard - post-hot water photos, 6 months later.

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

havershaw
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

My Todd's Standard - post-hot water photos, 6 months later.

Post by havershaw »

This set of photos: fresh out of the box. Shirt is a brand new Todd's as well. Both size Medium. I'm a 38 Regular, generally speaking.

Sorry for the grimacing. I could not get to my hat and the sun was in my face.

I've had a handful of Indy fedoras, but I've never had a lot of other gear (though I have a few pair of Aldens and bought a shoulder bag from Noel Howard some years ago). This year, I decided to bite the bullet and try to be a reasonably accurate Indy for Halloween. My finances being what they are (and for time reasons as well), I decided to go for a Todd's. It's my first Indy jacket since I owned a Wested briefly about five years ago (didn't fit me well - I think it was TOD length and a 40, so I sold it.

Now, I have since done the hot water treatment to it (put it on a hanger under hot water in the shower for a while) and I've been wearing it for about six hours. The wrinkling is pretty awesome and it's losing its shine as the night goes on. Weirdly, one sleeve stayed shiny for several hours longer than the other, and I had to resoak it in hot water. now they're starting to match.

The leather is stiffening and feeling a little thicker after the soakings, too, but I don't know if I'm just imagining it or not.

I love love love the fit. I don't wear anything but clothing made during the 30s, 40s, and 50s, and this jacket fits like one of my nice vintage jackets (most of mine are size 38). I understand how it probably seems small to a lot of folks but I love it.

I will add some photos tomorrow so you all can see the before and after with the hot water treatment.

To my wife's chagrin, I will be sleeping in this jacket tonight too. I don't have the heart to distress it more than get it wrinkly, and I figure a good night's sleep will probably do the trick.
Last edited by havershaw on Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:06 am, edited 3 times in total.
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

that's a standard? thought it was a custom. looks like todd is utilizing new hide like he said as this brown looks warmer than the one i bought last year. the fit is perfect i must say and does echo days of yesteryear.

congrats on the acquisition.......can i have it? :P :) :lol:
havershaw
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by havershaw »

Thanks! Yeah, I like this color a lot too. (I wish the shirt were less yellow, but we'll see what washing it with a little lemon juice will do.)

Those are Magnoli pants, by the way, which I acquired from a fellow COW member. Beautiful craftsmanship.

Wait until you see the jacket with the hot water treatment. It looks even better (and more vintage) right now.
Indiana G wrote:congrats on the acquisition.......can i have it? :P :) :lol:
No.
Jorenz
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Jorenz »

Great looking Jacket. Ahh, sleeping in the jacket, I remember those days, wait I'm doing it right now. :lol:

I also love the glasses. I have something similar but the bottom part of the rim are clear.

Congratulations on the jacket.
IndyFan89
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndyFan89 »

I wonder would a large fit me? I'm like 5'9 220lbs, I don't have a HUGE gut but it's there.
MACHONE
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by MACHONE »

That leather does look very different from my Todd's Standard from earlier in the year, but in a great way. I really like the new hide. Excellent looking jacket.
-Ben
IndyFalco
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by IndyFalco »

Todd makes a great jacket :lol: Go ahead and be a mad man with that jacket.
Scott63
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Scott63 »

MACHONE wrote:That leather does look very different from my Todd's Standard from earlier in the year, but in a great way. I really like the new hide. Excellent looking jacket.
-Ben
I agree. The leather appears to be darker and has a lot more grain to it than the one I received last year. In fact, it looks a lot like goatskin.

I wonder if the new leather is any thicker than the old hide? My jacket's held up really well, but it's pretty light and the leather seems really thin.

Great looking jacket. I really like it.

Scott
Dutch_jones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Dutch_jones »

wow THAT looks just like a raiders jacket !!!!!!!! congrats !!! :D
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

the jacket rocks.especially the backpanel.love it..CONGRATS

allthough I find it to looks a little tight on you.I think if you'd go for a Large it would look even better.

just my2c
Akubra Man
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Post by Akubra Man »

I received my Todds about a month ago and love it. Your photos after the shower treatment show a jacket that looks well broken in. I now can see that the shower works to distress the jacket perfectly. It looks like you have worn it for years. Very good job Indy. s:clap:
Kevin Anderson
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kevin Anderson »

Looks good, but the sleeves look tight...?
Bemo
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bemo »

Todd's standard is da'bomb! Really hard to beat. I would love it if Todd offered an interim step between his standard and his custom. Like off the rack sizes a little stouter in construction with some hide selections in the $300 range... Hmmm... USWings construction with Todd's pattern.... yummm...

IndyFan89, no a large will not do for you. I'm 180 with fairly broad shoulder's for my size (wear a 42/44 jacket usually)and an XL Todd's fits perfect for me. My guess is that you would need at least an XL and probably an XXL.

Peace.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

44-46 for the 2-XL.
havershaw
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by havershaw »

Thanks for all the kind words. I do love this jacket.

I haven't yet taken the post-shower photos, but by morning's light, it looks pretty great. I didn't end up sleeping in it, because by the time I went to bed, I thought it looked pretty close to what I wanted it to look like.

Ford's jacket definitely has more room in the arms, but in my opinion and in my experience, real jackets of that vintage would likely be a bit snugger and this suits me just fine.

(as a side note, I found the same thing with the shirt. I tried the large, and while it fit OK, it did not fit like my vintage shirts marked medium. it seemed baggy under the armpits. Todd's Medium, however, fits just like one of my 40s shirts.)

This leather is really really thin, but I did notice that after soaking it and it stiffened a tiny bit, it seems to have gained a little weight. Sounds crazy I know, but that's how it seems to me.

Jorenz, I also have a pair of specs like yours. I love them. These are my 1940s American Opticals.

I will take the post-hot water photos later this afternoon. I think it looks great, and I couldn't be happier.

Did I mention that it all arrived one day earlier than my UPS tracking promised?
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

I think these are the first photos I've ever seen of you without one of your signature fedoras on, havershaw. :-k You were grimacing because of withdrawl pains, that's all. :lol: ;-)

GREAT looking jacket, by the way!!

HIGH regards! Michaelson
Terrasolo
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Terrasolo »

this has been very helpful because due to my current budget I am thinking of a Todds standard as well. I am also a 38 reg and thought the small might be the best option but the medium looks like a great fit on you. I can't wait to see the after pics as I think I will follow the same steps you did. Hot water, wear and sleep.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

I noticed the difference in the leather grain too. The new jackets seem to have alot of 'character' even right out of the box. Understandably, there are two contrasting points of view regarding distressing, and to each his own. The other perspective would be to preserve the leather first, then distress it. Just mho.
Texas Raider
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Texas Raider »

Now THAT is a good looking, great fitting jacket!! Great acquisition, Havershaw!! Those are seriously some of the best pics of how a jacket should look! Especially right out of the box!

TR
TruckWhatTruck
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by TruckWhatTruck »

great looking jacket, you made the right choice! :clap:
Sabich
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Sabich »

Looks great! I love the fitted look of the Raiders jacket.
Might have to order one of these.
Bowie
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Bowie »

Way to go havershaw, that costume came together fast!! And the jacket looks great.
havershaw
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by havershaw »

Thanks!
Just took new photos. The jacket definitely has a slightly different texture now. I'll post when I'm home from work tonight.
havershaw
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by havershaw »

Post-hot water treatment.

The leather stiffened just enough that when I take it off, the sleeves retain their shape:

Any futher distressing this jacket will get from me will be au naturale. I think it looks great just how it is. I can't say enough about how much cooler the texture and weight of this coat got after it was soaked repeatedly. I really feel like it's an old, well-worn jacket now. I can highly recommend the hot water method to those looking to give their leather jackets some instant character.

Yes, I'm wearing the Todd's shirt again. I'm trying to break it in.

Terrasolo, I too thought about the small, because as I've said, I prefer vintage sizing and most modern clothes are meant to be baggy. But I really feel like this is perfect. It did snug up the tiniest bit overnight, but I feel like it stretched back out again after I wore it...all day.[/img]
havershaw
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by havershaw »

Two more photos, in very different lighting, for the sake of variety.
Yes, I am making almost exactly the same face in both photos. The guy taking the picture just tends to illicit that look from me.

conceited_ape
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by conceited_ape »

DUUUUUUUDE!!!! :shock: :shock:
I am SOOOO doing this to my Todd's! IT LOOKS INCREDIBLE!!! :twisted:

EPIC HIGH REGARDS!!! :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup:
Dutch_jones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Dutch_jones »

You took an already good looking jacket :| and made it a frigging copy of the RAIDERS JACKET!!!!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

:lol: :whip:
Jorenz
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Jorenz »

Excellent!!!!
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

I love the jacket.but I think it looks TO thight.TO fitting on you.

I would love to see a size up on you....

but anyways its a crazy nice jacket.congrats
Holt
Dr._J
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Dr._J »

All this talk of the ultimate $1000 TN Raiders jacket and here it is...The most accurate looking Raiders jacket available for the low price of $150. I LOVE it! Looks great!

Regards, Dr. J
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

That is truly, truly an awesome looking jacket. Are you sure you didn't take a cruise on the Bantu Wind around '36 or so?

Todd needs to post these pics on his site as advertisement. Just looking at it makes me have to resist the temptation to buy one (far too many Indy purchases lately).

Actually, I'd probably give into temptation and buy one but I'm a robust young lad (6'1"-240) and I'm not sure that a Todd's XXL would fit me.
Piers
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Piers »

Those sleeves look awesome
WinstonWolf359
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by WinstonWolf359 »

I think the whole thing looks awesome!

Great color, great texture, great jacket! When I saw the first pictures I thought "man, that looks pretty good already, why mess with it more." But wow, those "after" pictures look really good!

Thanks for sharing!
Raider S
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Raider S »

Looks like a beauty. Todd should make a tall size; those sleeves, now that they got some nice wrinkles, are too short.
G-MANN
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by G-MANN »

Dutch_jones wrote:You took an already good looking jacket :| and made it a frigging copy of the RAIDERS JACKET!!!!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

:lol: :whip:
I have to agree. As far as being too tight...I don't think so. A bit less tension on the straps, perhaps. That would make the jacket seem a bit looser around the waist.

As far as the sleeves, those wrinkles will subside after a while, unless they get wet again. When the wrinkles relax the sleeves will go back to thier old length.

All in all I think you have yourself one Mighty fine jacket. Congratulations. :tup:

Cheers,
G-MANN
Browncoat
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Browncoat »

If only the sleeves were a little more baggy...that jacket would be spot on Raiders. . :shock:

And to think all it took was hot water. Makes me think twice about doing it to my Todd's. Congrats!
mark seven
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by mark seven »

Great pics!-Todds ROCK!!!!! :tup: :)
Puppetboy
Vendor

Post by Puppetboy »

Hot water is the way to go to get a really good fit. As it dries, just pull on the leather - body, sleeves, collar, etc to retain it's size. Even better - put it on every half-hour or so and pull it around you and pull it down - it will really fit your shoulders that way. Keep repeating until it's real dry.

If you don't get the results you want, you can repeat it.

The leather is the best my mfg has found so far, and I commanded them to NEVER change it. IMO, that is the closest to the pre-distressed Raiders leather that you can get. Just my opinion. Now take a pocket knife and scrape off most of the shine and you'll have it.
TheMechanic
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by TheMechanic »

Nice looking jacket but the sleeves look to be about 2" too short.
IndyFalco
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by IndyFalco »

The sleeves look simply amazing. I foresee a hot water bath for my todd's standard :lol:
havershaw
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by havershaw »

Thanks again for all the kind words.

This morning (day 3), the jacket seems a bit less stiff than it was yesterday. The sleeves sit about an inch longer now because the wrinkles in the elbows have relaxed a touch. But looking at the above photos, I don't have a problem with that sleeve length either. I feel like exactly the correct amount of shirt sleeve is showing (for vintage styling, anyway). But then, I admit that I cringe every time I see the length of the sleeves in CS. For me, they are loooooong.

Personally, I realize that Indy's jacket has baggier sleeves - but these are just my style. I love how fitting the jacket is. And I too love the wrinkling on the sleeves. Came out better than I could ever have hoped.

And yeah, after I took those photos I realized that I needed to let the side buckles out a touch, which I've done.

Thanks again, Todd, for a beautiful jacket. As far as the shine...I'm too chicken to take a knife to it. It'll have to just distress naturally from here on out. You are welcome to use any photos you'd like.

Thanks also to whomever first posted the hot water treatment (I found it in a search a while ago and I don't have time to look it up again now!). I really had no idea it would turn out as marvelously as it has. I'll admit I did it about three times, and maybe got it too soaked the last time, which I was worried about...but that's when the pockets got real real awesome.
jacksdad
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by jacksdad »

Great jacket,enjoy You look great. after seeing these photo's I'm ordering a jacket, I thought Todds looked good before,but the new leather and that is the ultimate Raiders jacket. the other post about durability sold me too. Great jacket Todd :notworthy:In regards to weather conditions, how warm are they in the cold. I know it's about the layering but if you wore a MOTB sweater with your Todds would the jacket be warm lets say 25 degrees or less?
Terrasolo
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Terrasolo »

Havershaw, just curious, as I said before i am a 38 reg, but was curious of a few things about you to help me chose a jacket size. If you odn't mind.

What is your height? and your chest and sleeve measurements? if you know the last two. I know suit sizes can fit a varied group in that same size range so i wanted to see how close in size i was to you to decided on the right jacket for me.

thanks for any help.
delfloria
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by delfloria »

My Todd's Standard without water treatment. Still looking pretty good.
junior
Archaeologist
Archaeologist
Location: Location: Location - the most important thing in real estate

Post by junior »

Are you kidding me? And this is a Todd's standard - hot water treatments to a custom and it just wouldn't be fair.

Major cool jacket sir. See what I mean fellow gearheads when I say the Todd's just has something about it tht screams Raiders?

Nice.

junior
havershaw
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by havershaw »

delfloria, that is a beautiful-looking jacket. What did you use for the distressing? I like that sort of tobacco-ish hue to the worn areas.
Charlie
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Charlie »

havershaw, what a great looking jacket! I'm becoming interested in a Todd's standard, and I have the same questions as Terrasolo: "What is your height? and your chest and sleeve measurements?" It would help me decide if I should get a medium or a large... Thanks :)
delfloria
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by delfloria »

Havershaw,

Your jacket looks great by the way. Makes me tempted to to do the water treatment on mine. I got my jacket second hand from a COW member who's handle is Kiltie. He would know for sure but it looks and feels like those areas were washed with acetone and the natural leather is showing through. It's amazing how good these jackets look in photos concidering just how lightwieght they are.
conceited_ape
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by conceited_ape »

I just did this hot-water treatment to my Todd's as Havershaw described... with pretty awesome results! :twisted:
The best affect for me was that it really reduced the shine of the jacket, something I really hoped it would do, as I always felt the jacket was just a tad too shiny. NOW IT'S PERFECT!
Also, I must echo Havershaw's thoughts on the supposed 'thickening' of the leather. Impossible as it may well be, the jacket (although now completely dry) IS noticeably denser, even heavier somewhat. As best as I can describe it, it's kinda gone from feeling like a lambskin jacket to a goatskin one. Seriously, it feels just like my last Wested goat! Impressive stuff.

I heartily recommend doing this guys! Pics soon!
havershaw
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by havershaw »

Ape, glad to hear you are thrilled with the results.

however...

I will say that your jacket may not actually be completely dry. I thought the same thing - that it was completely dry - but by day 4, the jacket's additional weight seemed to have vanished, so I'm guessing that while it seemed totally dry, it must not have been.

Still has great draping and the wrinkles still look great. I may hit it with hot water again and do the stretching thing Todd recommended, to make the shoulders melt to me a little better.

The more heavily soaked the jacket is, the less shiny it becomes, it seems to me.

I'll wait a couple more days and post another photo. The jacket seems a little different every day. Still in love with it though!

oh, and as to my measurements -
I'm 5' 9"
chest measures exactly 38" (weird, I know)
my arm from top of the arm (shoulder) to the first bone in my wrist is 22"
(I'm not real sure how to measure for my sleeve.)

Oh, and as far as being good in cold weather, the jacket is pretty light, but I would imagine with a good sweater, or a Pendleton or something like that, you'd be OK for maybe 30-40 degrees, but I would think for 20-25, you'd want something warmer, probably.

But then, I moved to AZ for a reason - I'm kind of a wimp when it comes to the cold weather.