Where are the new whip cracking scenes in the Indy DVD??

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

winrichwhips
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Where are the new whip cracking scenes in the Indy DVD??

Post by winrichwhips »

Where are they? Well, I found one. If you get the new DVD (2-disc special edition), and watch the chapter called 'Iconic Props' on the special features DVD, there's a second or two of footage of Indy in the graveyard doing a wrist wrap on one of the skull-masked martial artists.

If they cut that bit of action for time, I think that was a mistake. I think everyone would have rather had the whip action instead of, say, the shovel hit to the head.

There's also footage of Harrison practicing his whip skills in the special features of the main/DVD/movie disc.

Anybody else watch the whole thing, special features and all, and have more to add?

-Adam

PS: 'This is what the alphabet would look like if Q and R were eliminated', just wanted to add that the whip episode of 'Time Warp' should air on the Discovery Channel on November 19 at 8 pm East Coast time. I'm also being flown to Beijing in November to participate in a Guinness World Records TV special done by CCTV. I'll be going for the record of 'most candles put out in a minute with a whip', and I have to compete against the current Chinese record holder.
SHoWhips
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by SHoWhips »

Adam,

That is so cool your trip to Beijing. I know your skills as a whipcracker but I wasn't aware that you were also skilled in target work. Do you have any videos showing this?

Again, good for you and good luck in the competition!

Scott
jason10mm
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by jason10mm »

Oh man, I don't know what the rules are for this Guinness competition, but give me a 20 foot whip and I'll spin it around and knock over THOUSANDS of candles in a minute :P

Somehow I think the rules are more strict though!
Nebraska Brad
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Nebraska Brad »

Agreed Adam. More whip action would have been great considering the amount of time HF put in to practice. I would have liked to see MUCH more info in the "iconic props" section. Jacket, hat, whip etc

Great news on your China trip. Give 'em heck!!

-Nebraska
winrichwhips
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by winrichwhips »

Well, I thought I'd put the Beijing record attempt into another post, but I tacked it onto this post about the new DVD to avoid blatant self-promotion :roll:

Anyhow,

For rules, as far as I know, you have to be 2 meters away from the candles, and you cannot touch the candle wax with the whip. I think the 'not touching the wax' clause takes care of just knocking over candles.

The one thing I'm not sure of is if you can only do one candle per crack. I set up a few tea candles right next to eachother and one crack would put out all three.

SHoWhips, no, I don't have any video of me putting out candles but there are videos of me cutting cans in half and cutting dandelions, so that gives some idea of my targeting skills.

The show in Beijing contacted me because Guinness recently verified my attempt for the whip speed and accuracy record. The record is for fastest time to hit 10 targets with a whip. I hit 10 targets in 4.85 seconds, one crack for each target. I used a short cow whip and did the continuous overhand flick. And no, I don't have video of this either :oops:

-Adam
winrichwhips
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by winrichwhips »

Thanks for the encouragement, Nebraska! I'll do my best.
Shagbd
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Shagbd »

hmm... the ol blow out the candle with _______ trick

I have seen this done alot and its really nothing more than a parlor trick.

Ive put out candles with a punch, a kick ... even a sword cut if properly angled will put um out...

but doing it at SPEED, i see what your saying about multiple candles out with one crack.... that might work
TurnerME
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by TurnerME »

Best of luck Adam. I am sure you will blow them away or rather out. ;-)
winrichwhips
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by winrichwhips »

Shagbd,

Yeah, for the most part putting out candles with a whip is not a difficult trick for someone comfortable with targeting.

Putting candles out does become more challenging in competitions such as the former WWAC Zorro board competition, where you only get one chance at each candle, and you have to do 3 with your dominant hand and 2 with your non-dominant hand.

The Guinness candle record is 22 candles in a minute. So we'll see if I can beat that.

-Adam
WhipDude
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by WhipDude »

Somebody needs to record that show for us unpriviledged few who don't have cable/satelite and then post it on here. :)
Shagbd
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Shagbd »

winrichwhips wrote:Shagbd,

Yeah, for the most part putting out candles with a whip is not a difficult trick for someone comfortable with targeting.

Putting candles out does become more challenging in competitions such as the former WWAC Zorro board competition, where you only get one chance at each candle, and you have to do 3 with your dominant hand and 2 with your non-dominant hand.

The Guinness candle record is 22 candles in a minute. So we'll see if I can beat that.

-Adam

I Have faith in ya brother!!!
I just hope it gets videoed !