magnoli pants colour questions

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Bruce Wayne
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

magnoli pants colour questions

Post by Bruce Wayne »

I am getting ready to order another pair of magnoli pants. my question is what colour would be best for crystal skull pants?
thanx!!!
Charlie
ReturningSon
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by ReturningSon »

I thank it is best to go with the "Dark Brown Khaki".
Bruce Wayne
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Bruce Wayne »

ReturningSon wrote:I thank it is best to go with the "Dark Brown Khaki".
in which fabric? he doesnt have a colour call "dark brown khaki". he has "dark khaki" & "dark brown".
thanx!!!
Charlie
WinstonWolf359
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by WinstonWolf359 »

The dark khaki is too light, and the dark brown is too dark...

The best color Magnoli has is the 100% English wool in Camel. I have a pair of the camel pants and a shirt in light khaki and the color and contrast between the two is perfect for Crystal Skull.
whipcracker
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by whipcracker »

Ask Magnoli. Maybe he has something else in stock at the moment.
ReturningSon
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by ReturningSon »

Mine are "Dark Khaki" in wool blend and they go very nicely with the gear. I ordered mine a little big so I could get that baggy look. If you are gonna get 100% english wool, why not go with Paris Pants. They are more SA for only a little more!!!
WinstonWolf359
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by WinstonWolf359 »

Well, one of the toughest things about this hobby is that color is subjective. How things look in photos won't necessarily match what you see on screen, and even that might not be particularly accurate to what the item actually looked like in real life.

So obviously, everyone has differing opinions and different expectations for their gear. These are simply my opinions...

I spent a lot of time working with Magnoli to get what I thought would be close to the look of the Crystal Skull gear, and ordered a swatch card so I could see for myself how each fabric looked and felt before ordering. To my eye the Crystal Skull pants were a little more copper-y colored than the Raiders pants, which are a lot more pinkish-gray.

Here's a pic of the Wested pants with a khaki web belt and a swatch of the Magnoli dark khaki wool/cashmere fabric:

Overall, I think it's a little too light and more of a basic khaki color, as opposed to the more pink/gray/brown of the Wested pants.

Another issue is the lack of contrast in color between the dark khaki fabric and the color of the web belt.

Even in Last Crusade (which might have had the lightest colored pants of the whole series) there is still a noticeable contrast between the pants and the web belt.

But there is also a noticeable (if not quite as strong) contrast between the Crystal Skull pants color and his web belt too.

Here's the Magnoli English wool pants, along with the same dark khaki swatch and web belt.

The English wool has a stronger brown tint, with a hint of copper, which is what I see in the CS pants, but not very much of the drab gray the Wested pants have.

Also, since it was mentioned earlier in the thread, Magnoli does have a medium brown available in the wool/cashmere blend fabric, but I think it is a little too dark, at least for my taste.

I think if you went with a darker shirt color (like Magnoli's "natural") it would probably balance out alright.

And the reason I'm not comparing any of these to the Paris pants is because well, simply put, they don't actually exist. So in that regard I think it is premature to use them as an example or an option or an alternative to any of the pants options that are currently in production, and not just vapor-ware.
Bruce Wayne
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Bruce Wayne »

WinstonWolf359 wrote:To my eye the Crystal Skull pants were a little more copper-y colored than the Raiders pants
this is what i want. the coppery coloured pants we see during the wharehouse scene at the beginning...