The "Z" Whip by Steven Huntress

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

Shagbd
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

The "Z" Whip by Steven Huntress

Post by Shagbd »

Heres a quick preview....

More on this later.... :-)
BullWhipBorton

Post by BullWhipBorton »

Pretty slick ;-)
tomek9210
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by tomek9210 »

What about the specs? 6ft or 8ft? How long is the handle?
Canasta
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Canasta »

Steve makes a real nice whip.
I have one that he made me last December. I used it in a show the very first day I got it.
I know that I'll order more from Steve too.

That one looks nice.

Congrats Shagbd

PS
The fact that he puts "real" falls on his whips rather than twisted ends is a real plus in my opinion.

Chris
Shagbd
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Shagbd »

Canasta wrote: The fact that he puts "real" falls on his whips rather than twisted ends is a real plus in my opinion.

Chris
YOU nailed it there bud!!!

In fact, he actually dyed these black himself!!

This is the PROTOTYPE for his "Z" zorro-like whips... I beleive he will eventually add these to his website...
He did alot of research and replicated the zorro whip as closely as possible... even talked to Joe Strain about it..
its a 16 plait whip.... 12 inch handle foundation.... and its 6.5 feet long, again, just like the "real" zorro whip....
I did ask him to put an extra long fall on there for me, but i think thats going to be standard anyway.

The REAL fall makes a big difference in the way his whips feel. The 6 footer I already have from him flows like a Roo....
One thing I have made a point of NOT asking of Steve is to make the whip "heavier"...... He apparently knows what hes doing and knows how to balance one out so i just let him do his magic...
He says this one is a bit heavier than the 6 footer I have..... but still cracks really well.

I really never intended to buy more than 1 or 2 nylon whips, but after handling Stevens whips, I now actually have 3, total, more coming from him!
jabahutt70
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by jabahutt70 »

Thanks for posting the pics, Shagbd, and thank you for the kind words Dan & Chris!

Also, I'd like to thank both Joe Strain & Paul Nolan for breaking down the specs for me, as well as the extra pics from Paul, much appreciated guys!

The fall is also cut by Joe, as I really like the way he makes his falls. Though I don't really enjoy the dyeing process I have to say, lol.

The Zorro look-alike will be added to the site soon, and most likely will be offered in 6, 6 1/2, 7 & 8 foot lengths. Shagbd's whip is actually 7 feet, and with the fall & cracker it's about 11 feet in total. Heavier than my standard whip and good for target-cutting. They can be made with a leather or nylon fall.

Steve.
www.neawhips.com
Shagbd
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Shagbd »

HA! my bad...... i think i mighta mentioned it was 6.5'.... i honestly forgot what we decided on... we discussed so much
7; is actually a really nifty length... you get basically all the speed of a 6 footer, but with more reach!

you KNOW the first thing i have to do with it is snuff out a row of candles while puffin on a cigar!
Dalexs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Dalexs »

Shagbd wrote:HA! my bad...... i think i mighta mentioned it was 6.5'.... i honestly forgot what we decided on... we discussed so much
7; is actually a really nifty length... you get basically all the speed of a 6 footer, but with more reach!

you KNOW the first thing i have to do with it is snuff out a row of candles while puffin on a cigar!
Careful! You might melt the length of your new whip down a couple of feet! :rolling:

I had the design specs for a Zorro Board somewhere.
(Air canon included! ;-) )
FloatinJoe
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by FloatinJoe »

Dalexs wrote:I had the design specs for a Zorro Board somewhere.
(Air canon included! ;-) )
Zorro Board???? Hate to ask, but what's that? I might just want one :-k
Dalexs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Dalexs »

You know, a Zorro board...
(On loan from Gery Deers site)

More pics here http://www.thewhipstudio.com/photo_gallery.htm on the bottom of the page.

And lot's o' pics here
http://www.whipenthusiasts.org/whip_weekend_iii.htm
Last edited by Dalexs on Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FloatinJoe
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by FloatinJoe »

Steve: And why is this a Zorro board? Maybe I should learn how to use my whip first before I start doing this.

Other Steve: I so want one of your whips. I need a Zorro whip that I can use in the not so nice climates.

Mike
Dalexs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Dalexs »

Edited by MOD for Stupidity.
Last edited by Dalexs on Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FloatinJoe
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by FloatinJoe »

And when was that board used in the film... the only scene I remember of snuffing candles was with two 3-candle candelabras. If that's actually in the movie, I need to get me a screen accurate version for my living room :whip:
Dalexs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Dalexs »

Oh yeah, your right, I can't really remember where I saw it. but I'm old!

It's commonly known as the Zorro Board.

Check out the Whip Enthusiasts site.
Shagbd
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Shagbd »

yeh, i dont remember seeing that
Shagbd
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Shagbd »

JUST GOT It in today!!!

WOW is this one AWESOME whip!
I have gotten pretty used to my 6 ft that I have from Steven, but this baby is BEAST!
Its a bit heavier, and the foot of extra length (7 ft) makes a differnece as well..
I took it out to crack it a bit and WOW, it fires off like a shotgun blast with little or no effort at all!
The 12" handle adds that nice bit of extra leverage that really does the work for you on cracks!

Steven, I am SO impressed with this whip! I Never thought I would fall in love with a nylon whip the way i have with this one! The plaiting is really nice and ridiculously TIGHT!
Also, the chrome/silver accents make it "pretty" the floral concho on the end is really nice as well! I have a feeling my wife might want this one...

heres some pics:

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb13 ... Zwhip1.jpg

The handle... notice the silver concho on the end
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb13 ... Zwhip2.jpg

This is the part that MAKES it Zorro whip! that additional turkshead out on the thong
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb13 ... Zwhip3.jpg

Ok this is kinda off topic, but i also ordered a BABY BULL from Steven.
its a 3 foot whip with a 4 inch handle...
I had him do it in the Indy KOTCS color scheme...
This lil thing is FAST! too! I can actually do fast figure 8s with it, but they fireoff SOOO fast!
cute lil thing, aint it??
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb13 ... bybull.jpg
tomek9210
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by tomek9210 »

Maybe some video 8) ?
Magno
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Magno »

Hey Sagbd, do me a favor and let me know how that baby bullwhip works out for you. I'm looking into getting a shorter whip I can use for combat, but I'm thinking 3 feet might be a bit too little...interested to know how it handles...
Shagbd
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Shagbd »

Magno wrote:Hey Sagbd, do me a favor and let me know how that baby bullwhip works out for you. I'm looking into getting a shorter whip I can use for combat, but I'm thinking 3 feet might be a bit too little...interested to know how it handles...

well i LOVE the baby bull! it cracks really loud, and is just fun to play with. It usually gets a snicker or laugh when i pull it out because of its demunitive size, but once i start crackin it, the laughter stops..
i can even do volleys with it..

As far as Combat? um... who are you going to be fighting?
I dont know if a 3 footer has enough weight to do any real damage...
Cracker
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Cracker »

It is a nicely plaited whip Shagbd. Steve did a great job on it !!
Magno
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Magno »

Oh, I wasn't aware that you had already gotten the baby bull. Very nice...I'm thinking about getting one of these.

I didn't literally mean for combat because I don't honestly get in street fights that often, but moreso for choreographing and filmmaking. I suppose I could keep it under my jacket, but I can keep my 8 foot under my jacket too...

I dunno, do you think it would stand up to some film work? Pretty light contact, mostly weapon wraps and some neck wraps etc...
Shagbd
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Shagbd »

oh yeh, that would definantly work for that.

on the shorter whips, like the 4 foot snake whip i have coming from steven, He uses nylon falls and they hold up pretty well
Magno
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Magno »

Thanks for the input. I had a feeling you would be able to help me there.

I just need a short, fast whip that I can use for mock fighting and not have to worry about ruining. Looks like the baby bull is the one!
Shagbd
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Shagbd »

Oh my god, this thing is so fast!!!
doing volleys likes sounds like: poppoppopopopop
no pause in between....
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

:whip: VIDEO????!!!!???? ;-)