Boots

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

PLATON
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Boots

Post by PLATON »

I know this probably isn't the right place for this question, but I don't know any other place with more Americans or with more knowledgeable people on such subjects.

I always wanted to buy a good pair of cowboy (western) boots, but (as we say where I come from) "I have black midnight" about these things (i.e. I know nothing)

So, will you please guys name the top 5 cowboy boot brands?

Ah, and a cowboy hat please (white). [Or maybe I ask that in the Fedora section]

Thanks,
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

We have enough Westerner's that can answer your boot question, but as in the rest of our hobby, custom is the way to go with a hat, and our own JPDesign has been a western hat master craftsman LONG before he began making Indy hats. I'd suggest dropping him a line.

Regards! Michaelson
jjunner
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by jjunner »

i know that Frye boots are great quality. they are expensive but stand up forever
http://www.thefryecompany.com/
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

iirc justins are nice boots and so are tony lama's. back in my rodeo days, i really didn't check to see what the best of the best were though. these brands were more than enough for us back then and would be considered our dress boots/drinking boots......not the mudders.

if i were to buy one pair of cowboy boots for the rest of my life.....i would probably get a custom pair made by our own alberta boot co. (they're about 5 minutes away from my office).

http://www.albertaboot.com/

you can customize to your hearts desire with these guys.

word to the wise though.......be careful when you coin the term 'best' because if you use that phrase, your shouldn't ask "how much?" ;-)
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Indiana G wrote:word to the wise though.......be careful when you coin the term 'best' because if you use that phrase, your shouldn't ask "how much?" ;-)
That advice could be applied to our fedora and jacket makers too! :lol:

Regards! Michaelson
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

we could........but then there'd be nothing to argue about ;-) :lol:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Shirt button color is always fair game. :[

Regards! Michaelson
alphared6
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by alphared6 »

Know what you want your boots for as well. There are working boots and "boot scoot'n" boots (dancing). And if you're looking at working boots consider the heel. There are heels designed for the stirrup, others for ground pounding. Some folks wear the riding heal as a fashion statement but if you ain't used to 'em they can be difficult.
You can get boots made from just about every hide on the planet, ostrich and Emu, gator and crock, snake and ... you name it. A real cowboy don't wear nut'n but cowhide, corse he works and rodeos in his boots.
PLATON
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by PLATON »

Thanks guys!
Zach R.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Zach R. »

Any opinions on the Justin Standard Ropers that run about 100 bucks?
dirtyepic129
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by dirtyepic129 »

Zach,

I have a pair of Justin Ropers (Ostrich) that are very comfortable. I just wear them with jeans or to work every now and then. Though you may not be looking for Ostrich, I'm sure the fit is the same on the non-exotics. I think they're a great pair for the money.
scot2525
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by scot2525 »

What about this place? www.motorcowboy.com

And while I am thinking about why have they not done an Indy boot? They make some great Star Wars boots.
Wade Egan
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Cowboy boots

Post by Wade Egan »

Side from having an extensive collection of movie replica boots like Boba Fett, Stormtrooper, and Jack Sparrow, etc. they have a large cowboy boot collection.

I have been wearing Tony Lamas for longer than I can remember and they are my personal favorite for cowboy boots. I also agree with the above post about the Frye boots which I own several pairs and they are awesome! Justin makes a good boot as well.

http://www.caboots.com

Good luck,

W.E.
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

Zach R. wrote:Any opinions on the Justin Standard Ropers that run about 100 bucks?
i have a pair in bullhide. it killed the back of my heels. i was going to get them soaked to soften them up....in hopes to remedy the situation. never had the chance.
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

I had a pair of Durango's when I was in college. They held up pretty well. Beyond that, I'm clueless.
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

This place is so cool... I could probably ask about how to make a pencil out of granite and horsehair and people would chime in and let me know.

We have such a great wide community of people, and there's a huge pool of knowledge that everybody's just willing to share. That's great!

Shane
PLATON
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by PLATON »

This place is so cool... I could probably ask about how to make a pencil out of granite and horsehair and people would chime in and let me know.

We have such a great wide community of people, and there's a huge pool of knowledge that everybody's just willing to share. That's great!

Shane
Yeah, I know. It's great.
word to the wise though.......be careful when you coin the term 'best' because if you use that phrase, your shouldn't ask "how much?"
OK. What's the best budget boot then?
Indiana Williams
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Williams »

Dan Posts are good boots.Ive got a a pair in lizard that I like to wear from time to time.
whipcracker
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by whipcracker »

Yeah, Justin ropers are the ones. I've worn them all my life. Try the George Strait line by Justin, he's got some great waterproof ones that are terrific, about $130. I read once that Justin ropers were the officer's choice for foot wear in the South Pacific during WWII. Just be sure you wear them with Wranglers, four inches longer than your regular inseam length so they look right.

Hats? Again, the George Strait line is real good. There comfortable and can take a beating. Are you sure you white? Black is really a cowboy standard, as well as silverbelly. I have 4X beaver silverbelly Stetson with a GS crease. Been to heck and back a couple times. If you really want white, most hands get a good straw, which is mostly white, but it is more casual. I always wear a felt because you never what you're going to get into or where you'll be.
Talk to JP or Peters Bros. they're a great place to start.
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

OK. What's the best budget boot then?
budget cowboy boots typically come with poly or manmade uppers whereas the boot part is still leather. its a way to cut costs. there's alot of lines that have poly uppers and if you are in that range, i'm assuming one brand is as good as the next.

for instance, i had a pair of boots with manmade uppers....had them broken in nicely, and then didn't notice too much difference when i upgraded to full leather boots. there is definitely a breathability factor and softness factor that was improved......but all in all, back then, i couldn't tell. i can tell now for sure cuz i'm a spoiled brat....but not back then :lol:
TheMechanic
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by TheMechanic »

Motor Cowboy does make an Indy boot. Just ask Magnoli. :)
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

McFly wrote:This place is so cool... I could probably ask about how to make a pencil out of granite and horsehair and people would chime in and let me know.
Shane
Ask Jess about that when you see him at the QM next month. He tried to make one once to save himself some money.....cheap no good bugger. :?

:lol: ;-)

Regards! Michaelson
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

#-o :lol:
I'll be in the back doing the math for that one... 8-[] :lol:

Shane
Indiana Jess
Scoundrel

Post by Indiana Jess »

The pencil didn't work out so great. However, the pen I made using a McDonald's straw and garden slugs turn out better than expected. Every time I use it at a company meeting, the meeting never lasts very long. Especially when I have to reload.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

I rest my case. :roll: ;-)

Regards! Michaelson :M:
Ronski
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Ronski »

I've got a pair of Dan Posts. They fit me great and look fantastic.
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

i have a pair of Twisted X boots that are AWESOME

NIBS