One Shirt to Rule Them all.

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

One Shirt to Rule Them all.

Post by Kt Templar »

Marc, I am so sorry, I LOVE your AB shirt but the crown really goes to NH.

The colour, cut, and fabric are exactly the same as the screen sample I saw. It has the lightness and slight silkiness that the original has.

Sorry, it was a bit overcast as I took this pic. the Wested and the AB have been washed several times. The NH is new out of the packet.

The Wested and AB's are both smalls, the AB is a little tight the Wested is a little loose. The NH is a medium and fits perfectly.

I find the Wested material too light in colour and a bit closely woven and heavy, the AB is lighter but wrinkles a bit to much, it's also a bit undersaturated.

I also look forward to the next gen Wested pants and shirt.

All of you you have always said, NH was the one. You are completely correct.
jnicktem
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by jnicktem »

Even though I only have Noel Howard shirts, I can see why people are saying they are the best! Great feel, great color, and just knowing WHO made it makes it a great shirt!
whipitgood
Museum Curator
Museum Curator
Location: Los Angeles "A handsome devil in the city of angels."

Post by whipitgood »

From this picture the Wested almost looks white in comparison. Do you know if Peter will try provide a more SA color in the future? I just received my NH and your description is quite accurate, but I really like Todd's for an everyday shirt as it feels more durable. I'm terrified of my NH getting caught on the corner of a table or something and ripping.
jnicktem
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by jnicktem »

Yeah, the Wested looks almost pure white. I think it would be awesome if Peter tries replicating the NH... and for an affordable price! :)
Dutch_jones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Dutch_jones »

NH shirts For the win ! they're THE shirt. just like NH's are THE PANTS.
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

jnicktem wrote:Yeah, the Wested looks almost pure white. I think it would be awesome if Peter tries replicating the NH... and for an affordable price! :)
The 'top man' is looking into it. :)
Indiana Strones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Indiana Strones »

Kt, if the medium Wested was too baggy for me, what NH size should I order?
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Indiana Strones wrote:Kt, if the medium Wested was too baggy for me, what NH size should I order?
I have a 40" chest. The NH medium fits really well. The pics of me in the TOD jacket proto is a NH Med/long

If you are more like a 42 I'd go with a large.
Indiana Strones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Indiana Strones »

Yes, I'm a 42, so I think I need a large... :-k
Falco09
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Falco09 »

Could somebody let me know who I would need to contact if I wanted one of Noel Howard's shirts?
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Never did care for the NH shirt myself. To 'costume' in construction in it's single seam sewing....but that's just me and what I like.

And yes, I have owned them befpre. I do not own them anymore.

Regards! Michaelson
gwyddion
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by gwyddion »

Falco09 wrote:Could somebody let me know who I would need to contact if I wanted one of Noel Howard's shirts?
Wested has/had the last ones. You should contact them to see if they still have a shirt in your size.

Regards, Geert
Dutch_jones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Dutch_jones »

Actually none of the gear was ever intented for the actual daily wear, but I have to say the NH shirt isn't that costumey at all ! its much tougher than most think.
michaelb
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by michaelb »

Just curious Michaelson,

(And anyone else, please chime in!),

Which shirt do you prefer? A year ago I purchased a Cabelas "Safari Shirt". My wife and I thought it to be a bit stiff, I assume because it is 50% or more polyester? Still, a great shirt that I wear constantly, but I decide to go with a Wested and it arrived 3 days later, before I could even get any anticipation going! I think the shirt is fantastic and just went with a standard medium, but it fits great! However, my only complaint would be that the shirt feels of the same stiffness of the Cabelas. Other than that it also makes a fine dress shirt. I remember having a "Safari Shirt" that I found in the 80's that draped, felt and looked like Indy's. I would like to try out Todd's, (Whom I own my first hat, the HJ, and was EXTREMELY happy with), but it looks like it is made from the same material as Cabala's: Cotton/Poplar blend. The AB version looks to be the best, but can't find it on their website!? Then there is the Noel Howard, but after going through all the searches I am completely confused as to how to go about ordering one, sizing, etc, when I think I might have 2 fine shirts already.

A bit long winded, but am obsessed with the shirt all of a sudden.

MB
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Speaking for myself, and for real world use, AdventureBilt by Marc.

As to the 'one rules all', it's subjective.

I've owned and worn all three myself, and like I said I have a completely different opinion....but that's what makes things interesting around here. :lol: The only one I have left in my closet is my AB now. ;-)

Regards! Michaelson
Last edited by Michaelson on Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jnicktem
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by jnicktem »

I have seen the Cabelas shirts, and I think they are pretty good.

As for the Noel Howard sizing, there is a thread in General Gear called "NH shirt fit" that talks a little about sizing.

Currently, the AB shirt is not on the website, but you have to either e-mail Marc or Kim to order one.
michaelb
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by michaelb »

Great!

Thanks guys!

MB
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

agreed KT...NH is the best raiders and TOD/LC shirt as far as my 2 cents go. however, the AB is my favourite shirt when i'm doing up the CS gear.
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

whipitgood wrote:From this picture the Wested almost looks white in comparison. Do you know if Peter will try provide a more SA color in the future?
Funny you should say that. All three shirts have some white in their label and you can see that all off them are not 'white'. But yes the Wested is much lighter.

It's likely that Peter will have a new shirt offering later down the line.
PLATON
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by PLATON »

I agree with KT that the NH shirt is the best. It is truly SA, same fit same color same fabric same everything, so no question about it.

It's actually one of the best shirts in my closet and supasses many others with italian designer label on them that cost twice as much or more.

But the secret in the NH shirt is not the fabric or color. It's the fit.

That's why I think Wested or Magnoli don't even come close. (Don't have AB or Todd so I don't know). Today I tried on my Mahnoli and can tell you that the fit is closer to KotCS shirt.

Now that I proudly own 2 NH (Sold the MBA which didn't like as much as the NH), so have the SA issue solved, can tell you that I wouldn't mind buying shirts from any other makers as long as the fit was the same with NH's. In fact I would buy the shirt in any other color (blue, black, green..)or material....
Satipo
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Satipo »

Anyone know if these shirts have sold out? I can't see the NH thread in the Cairo Bazaar any more.
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Satipo wrote:Anyone know if these shirts have sold out? I can't see the NH thread in the Cairo Bazaar any more.
There were still quite a few shirts there on Saturday when I visited. But check for your size.

Quite a few bags and TOD/LC gunbelts. Raiders belts were a bit scarce as were the holsters. (They only had Raiders holsters no TOD or LC). They seemed to have a few pairs of trousers too but I wasn't really looking.

They have materials to make quite a few web belts.
Satipo
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Satipo »

Thanks, Kt. I think probably a medium for me, as I've lost a bit of weight since I got my large MBAs a few years ago, which fitted very nicely. Do these NH shirts have the pen pocket?
JC1972
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by JC1972 »

I just got a XXL Raiders NH and its a little long in the length (not like anyone would know ;-) ) and sleeves. I'm 6'3", 215 lbs. and wear 16.5/34-35 dress shirts. I heard these shirts were a little snug to be SA as some would say, so I got XXL instead of my usual XL. I guess I should've ordered an XL as well but oh well. How much do these shirts shrink? I figured that was another reason to get XXL.
Marc
Vendor

Post by Marc »

I got some of these dead stock shirts as well and unfortunately I'm far from that thrilled. Just my personal opinion of course each has there own and I'm happy for you that this is the best shirt for you Jason. I really am.

Here's what *I* thought when the care package arrived (again PERSONAL opinion): the material is far too shiny. It looks nothing like what I see on screen or what the vintage MBA shirt was like. It doesn't wrinkle like the screen used shirt and to me it looks too dark. It is a SUPER nice and luxury shirt!!! MUCH more elegant and dressy then mine, just not what *I* see on screen. It is "off" in several place, for example does the shoulder seam start in front on the epaulettes instead of being right in the middle of them (which can clearly be seen when Indy is visiting Salah) and a couple of other things. It's constructed differently then the vintage MBA shirt (for example the very thick storm flap ect.). It's an absolutely adorable shirt that will work very well with a tweed jacket and a tie (which I got as well an which I think REALLY highly of), but for a Raiders shirt for *ME* this is just not "it".

Please let me point out once again, that this is only my opinion as an Indy fan and nowhere meant as a post mortem pun towards Noel.

Regards,

Marc
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Ah Marc, the fabric it felt exactly like this one does in person as does the colour and cut. Perhaps there are some detail differences but the sum outweighs the parts. :).

Satipo
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Satipo »

If I don't get to own one of these NHs, I really hope Wested pulls out all the stops in duplicating Noel's screen-used shirt, which looks to me like a Raiders one. Todd's comes pretty close from what I've seen. The AB shirt also looks really nice, but I just don't understand why the epaulettes were made short and stumpy when so much attention was no doubt given to getting the details perfect.
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

I hope so too. There were some useful looking notes, reference swatches and patterns in the boxes that came from Noel's flat.

BTW the NH shirt I got has the pen "pocket", but no hole at the top of the pocket flap, not like I would ever dare put a pen in this pocket!
Satipo
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Satipo »

Thanks for the pen pocket info, Kt. I think you're sensible not to risk using it.
Marc
Vendor

Post by Marc »

I just don't understand why the epaulettes were made short and stumpy
That has been fixed in the meanwhile ;-)

Jason: isn't that a ToD shirt you're showing there?

Regards,

Marc
Satipo
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Satipo »

Now that is excellent news!
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Marc wrote:
I just don't understand why the epaulettes were made short and stumpy
That has been fixed in the meanwhile ;-)

Jason: isn't that a ToD shirt you're showing there?

Regards,

Marc
It is indeed, but the closest we have.
Satipo
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Satipo »

I dunno ... me and some of the other guys are suspecting it might be a Raiders from the details - pretty much everything apart from the button colour!
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

Satipo wrote:I dunno ... me and some of the other guys are suspecting it might be a Raiders from the details - pretty much everything apart from the button colour!
I think the whole outfit was from Temple of Doom. Doesn't mean that the shirt is FAR OFF Raiders... the trousers had the exact same back pockets. I thought they might even be left overs from Raiders.
Anyway the tag read Western Costumes if that can help
Satipo
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Satipo »

Well, it is just a hunch, but it appears to me that the pockets' size and shape, epaulettes and button placement more closely match the Raiders shirt than TOD. I have my suspicions about the pants too ... ;-)
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

Well the trousers could be left overs and re-dyed for the new film. Similar for the shirt but doesn't sound too weird if they were just VERY similar in design, afterall they were made from the same people who worked on the previous film only few years previously.
Satipo
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Satipo »

Check out some of the observations noted in these threads:

NH screen-used shirt: http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?t=33576

NH screen-used pants: http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?t=33575

It's all quite interesting.
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

Mmmhh that IS interesting. Reading more just now...

Ok just read it all... I'm with you, it's a raiders shirt :lol: :lol:
Canyon
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Canyon »

KT, congratulations on getting a NH shirt. :lol:

Just out of interest, I got my ToD/LC shirt from Noel a couple of years ago, and it has the MBA label. :)