Stembridge gun grips

Need help finding an Indy Gun, want to discuss film used guns...

Moderator: Cajunkraut

sithspawn
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Stembridge gun grips

Post by sithspawn »

I've had a 1917 S+W since the 1991. It was a Brazillian model which had been parkerized and had rubber Pacmayr grips. Anyhow, with the help of Lee Keppler I was able to source a lanyard ring, correct Vintage diamond checkered grips and correct barrel made like the Stembridge gun. After rebluing I had a real decent replica Indy gun. The only thing that has bothered me is the grips. They have the medallions while the REAL gun doesn't. Can the knowledgeable experts tell me why this is so? Did the propmasters remove them or was it some kind of grip variation ? I was concidering taking them off my grips to make it more accurate.

Scott :?
coronado3
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by coronado3 »

Nah.... Don't take them off. Look around you'll be able to find both variations of the grips. With or without medallions.
sithspawn
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by sithspawn »

I looked around on the net and found a commercial 1917 S+W with the correct grips, so apparently it is a variation. It was going for something like 1500. Wish i could afford it, but I just purchased a WG several weeks ago. I'll keep the grips AS IS and keep searching. Maybe i'll come across the correct ones.
WinstonWolf359
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by WinstonWolf359 »

They show up on eBay all the time. :)
coronado3
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by coronado3 »

Check gunsamerica.com and gunbroker.com as well as ebay. I have seen these grips on all of these from time to time.
KingNothing
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by KingNothing »

They 'aint cheap though. I think mine were $160. But those are for mint ones though. And I might have been ripped, but oh well. They're great grips.
Solent MKIII
Museum Curator
Museum Curator
Location: Sharing living space with a near-sighted scrap pile

Post by Solent MKIII »

Kaplan posted a while back that he replaced the stock medallion grips on his new
S&W M1917 with a correct pair from Keith Brown.

http://www.classiccarvedgrips.com/

I believe they retail for about $200.00. Image