Is this Herbert Johnson from Todds any good???

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

mrkaboom
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Is this Herbert Johnson from Todds any good???

Post by mrkaboom »

OK I've just joined this site and have so far kitted myself out with a shirt from Wested and a HJ via Todds. This was bought after i joined this site. I'm just interested to gauge peoples opinion on this hat as from what i can glean the Adventurebilt or Akubra seem to be the favourites. Ive just ordered some pants from Wested too and managed to get an excellent jacket from TK Maxx for £40 which although is not identical is pretty darn near to the Raiders one. Any feedback on the HJ hat would be appreciated as I hope its not an inferior product!
jacksdad
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by jacksdad »

don't know about the Todds but would like to mention one of our own in addition to Marc and Steve makes an excellent hat too,the Penman is one I ordered and the look and quality is excellent.
ichnob
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by ichnob »

I've seen a few Todd's HJs at Comic Con this past summer, and they looked really good. I've heard it's been hit or miss with his HJs, but for the most part there've been more hits than misses (sometimes it can be rough shipping and handling that knocks the bash out; or sometimes the bash just wasn't set properly).

If you're dead set on a Herbert Johnson, more people on this forum go for Magnoli's (www.magnoliclotheirs.com). There's a $40 price difference, but it's offset by the fact that not only do you get it pre-bashed for you (Todd's charges extra), it's also handled by Steve Delk (of Adventurebilt fame). Please keep that in consideration as well.

edit--
Archaeologist reached! :lol:
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

The Todds HJ is a stock HJ that Todd gives a dimensional cut to and shapes. If what you want is the best HJ out there, the Magnoli, as ichnob said, is your best bet. It is a custom made hat but Steve Delk using HJ materials. It is all handmade by Steve. He also pounces the felt to get a finer finish and uses his "fur killing" method o make the hat more resiliant than the stock HJs. I realize its a little late, seeing as though you already ordered the Todds, but if you can afford it, opt for a Magnoli HJ. Nothing wrong with the Todds, just that the Magnoli is on a completely different level.

Dave
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

I agree if your dead set on the Hj logo why not get the best one out there. the Mag/Hj made by Steve Delk of adventurebilt hats is the one.

he talk the same material that any stock Hj would come with but he puts on the vintage Hj ribbon that Steve and marc uses on their hats. the stock HJ's don't have it.

They are blocked n one of steve's block ( a lot more SA than any other HJ). he stables the felt ( not many know how to do that anymore). The parts are sewn in by hand. You get a handmade HJ by Steve's hands using an SA block and the vintage ribbon used on the Raiders hat.

The stock HJ are machine made and can't come close in quality or SA as Steve's. For a few extra $$$, well worth it.
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

You are wrong about price, John. The Magnoli comes out less expensive than either the Todds HJ or the Swaine Adeney Brigg HJ. In fact, the SAB/HJ is about $100 more than the Magnoli.

Dave
mrkaboom
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

thanks

Post by mrkaboom »

First of all thanks a lot for all your feedback and advice everyone. as a newbie its good to know you are out there! My HJ arrived sometime ago and im really happy with it to be honest. I just wanted to get the opinion of you guys who have been aficionados for some time. Once this one has been worn in and bashed around i will no doubt be buying another one and when i do ill take your advice. I have a 5 week trip in central America next year which will certainly put the HJ to test. Thanks again guys![/img]
Solent MKIII
Museum Curator
Museum Curator
Location: Sharing living space with a near-sighted scrap pile

Post by Solent MKIII »

I stopped by Todd's shop a couple of weeks ago and was pretty impressed with
the HJ's he had for sale. I don't know if he reblocked any of them, but there was
one on top of a display mannequin that looked spot-on Raiders with the straight
sides and tight pinch. As my fellow Indy gearheads stated previously though, I
would probobly pick up the Magnoli HJ as that one just looks perfect to my eyes.
That said, I think you made a good purchase with your HJ, mrkaboom. I'd like to
get one of those down the road, extra money permitting, of course! - gotta go pay
some bills now..... Image
mrkaboom
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by mrkaboom »

Thanks Solent thats a good enough seal of approval for me! Im just starting out in the quest so who knows what ill end up getting further down the line. Thanks for your feedback and happy adventures!
michaelb
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by michaelb »

I have an HJ from Todd that is about 4 years old now? One of my favorite hats and definitely still has that "Raider's look" to it... Straight sides and all. However, that hat, I baby and only wear for special occasions and on a cool day when I know it won't rain, etc.

I would be slightly concerned about taking it on an "adventure".

MB
ichnob
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by ichnob »

I'd definitely be in the same boat as MB. Whenever I can actually afford an HJ (from Magnoli), I know I'll definitely baby it. It'll be mainly a dress hat.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

DR Ulloa wrote:You are wrong about price, John. The Magnoli comes out less expensive than either the Todds HJ or the Swaine Adeney Brigg HJ. In fact, the SAB/HJ is about $100 more than the Magnoli.

Dave

Even that doesn't settle it for you, what will? :)
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

BendingOak wrote:
DR Ulloa wrote:You are wrong about price, John. The Magnoli comes out less expensive than either the Todds HJ or the Swaine Adeney Brigg HJ. In fact, the SAB/HJ is about $100 more than the Magnoli.

Dave

Even that doesn't settle it for you, what will? :)
Exactly! :shock:

Dave

p.s. Sorry about the shocked smiley, i just really wanted to use it. ;-)
Johnny Fedora
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Alternating between wearing my Magnoli/AB/HJ & my Penman lids!

Post by Johnny Fedora »

Do I really need to jump in here? :roll:

Johnny
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

I was wondering when you'd pop in. Have at it Johnny! Though the Magnoli has been represented well.

Dave