Going to redye Todd's shirt

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Falco09
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Going to redye Todd's shirt

Post by Falco09 »

I really enjoy the cut and fit of Todd's shirt but the color has always been too yellow for what I perceive Indy's shirt to be. I've been soaking the shirt in a bucket of cold water with some bleach mixed in for hours at a time in an attempt to lighten it, and the color has hardly budged. I think it's gotten slightly lighter, but my eyes could just be tricking me. I've decided I want to use some RIT dye remover and completely rid the shirt of any color and redye it from there. I remember on the old indy gear site there were instructions on a how to redye an Indy shirt but I can't seem to find them anymore. Does anybody know the recipe for the redye?
theinterchange
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by theinterchange »

The kindly Dalexs has a great NH redye tutorial on his site http://dalexs.whitvani.net/shirt/shirtFAQ.html Looks easy yet intimidating. Hope this helps!

Randy
Falco09
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Falco09 »

Yes! Those are the original instructions I remember seeing. Thanks!
theinterchange
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by theinterchange »

You're welcome! Glad it was what you needed.. I thought it could have been.
Indiana Jake
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Seated in a Pan Am Sea Plane, flying over a map of Glendale, CA

Post by Indiana Jake »

This looks like great info, especially regarding the Rit Dye Remover. My personal opnion is that bleach can add to the deterioration of the shirt fabric. Once I decide to do mine, I'll only be using the RIT without the bleach to get the job done. Wish me luck!

Indiana Jake
theinterchange
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by theinterchange »

I'll be interested to see how it goes for you Falco.
serrecuir
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by serrecuir »

I used this method to redye my MBA shirt a few years ago. I want to give you one word of caution - be very careful with the temperature of the water that you submerge the shirt in to remove the dye as well as the water you do the redye in. If it's too hot, you can crack the buttons on the shirt.

I would suggest either removing them completely prior to the process (especially if you change the color a lot - you'll most likely have to replace them with closer matching buttons anyway), or watching the temperature of the water VERY CLOSELY. Don't let it reach boiling or close to boiling.

I hope this info helps. Good luck with the redye.

-Craig
enigmata_wood
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

khaki

Post by enigmata_wood »

It is believed that the British army first adopted khaki colour in arid countries after enlisted men started dying their too visible whites in tea in India.
Progressively darker shades of khaki were achieved by boiling the shirts for longer in stronger solutions of tea. This didn't shrink the shirts only because they were pre-shrunk Indian cotton.
As a rule of thumb the cotton will dry half as dark as it looks wrung out but wet.
Put the tea leafs in a seperate muslin bag unless you want lots of dirty looking spots on the cotton for a more distressed effect.
By the way, soaking in tea is excellent for turning plain white paper into aged wrinkled paper.
Dalexs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Dalexs »

I beleive the tutorial says to bring the all the baths to a simmer, not boil.
Boiling may also cause undo shrinkage.

I'm not a big fan of bleach bath either. I think it does more damage then good.

Keep in mind, depending on what Todds shirts are made of and how the material is dyed, you may need a few ##### in the dye bath to lighten it.

It may be the same situation that a bunch of us went thru with LLBean shirts.
Those buggers are impossible to lighten (easily!)

Good luck.
theinterchange
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by theinterchange »

thanks for chiming Dalexs in much appreciated!
Indiana Jake
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Jake »

So- Has anyone had any luck re-dyeing the Todd's shirt? How were you able to get the original color out? I just ran mine though the washer with a packet of color remover, and nothing happened. Oh well!

Indiana Jake
Indiana Citroen
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana Citroen »

I've bleached some LL Bean shirts, wish I'd just got cement colour :[

Lot of bleach, half half water....lots of shaking....and a better colour for about 1-2 hours

And it does stress the cotton a bit....and gives an older appearance....plus my dog chewed a bit ....instant distressing :P
IndyCooper
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by IndyCooper »

I'm stovetopping mine as I type - so far no apparent color change.
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

Good luck- let us know how it turns out :)

NIBS
Falco09
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Falco09 »

Finally got around to tackling the redye job on Todd's shirt and I seem to have hit a snag. I put two packets of color remover in hot water in a bucket and submerged the shirt. It turned the shirt pink like its supposed to at first, however it didn't do much else after that. It's soaking as we speak so hopefully if I leave it in long enough it will remove the remaining color.

update: The pinkness rinsed off in cold water and I threw the shirt in the wash. After washing the color appears........ pretty much the same as when i started. Anyone got any idea how to remove the color from Todd's shirts?
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

"I think YOU've got a big problem here!" :[

NIBS
Zach R.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Zach R. »

Falco09 wrote:Finally got around to tackling the redye job on Todd's shirt and I seem to have hit a snag. I put two packets of color remover in hot water in a bucket and submerged the shirt. It turned the shirt pink like its supposed to at first, however it didn't do much else after that. It's soaking as we speak so hopefully if I leave it in long enough it will remove the remaining color.

update: The pinkness rinsed off in cold water and I threw the shirt in the wash. After washing the color appears........ pretty much the same as when i started. Anyone got any idea how to remove the color from Todd's shirts?
Do it again. :lol:

I did the same to my LL Bean shirt, and it just took a few times for it to reach the best color.

Best advice I can give is to be patient, and don't overdo it in each session if you want to keep the shirt's structural integrity and keep it from becoming splotchy.
Indiana Jake
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Jake »

I concurr! After using just a pack of Rit color remover on my Todd's shirt, No luck!

Jake
Last edited by Indiana Jake on Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Solent MKIII
Museum Curator
Museum Curator
Location: Sharing living space with a near-sighted scrap pile

Post by Solent MKIII »

Yikes! Those shirts must have been dipped in polyurethane enamel! I almost bought
one myself, but the color ( and it is quite yellow ) put me off. Hopefully, you guys will
eventually have some luck at removing the original color - keeping fingers crossed! Image
Dalexs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Dalexs »

Zach R. wrote:
Falco09 wrote:Finally got around to tackling the redye job on Todd's shirt and I seem to have hit a snag. I put two packets of color remover in hot water in a bucket and submerged the shirt. It turned the shirt pink like its supposed to at first, however it didn't do much else after that. It's soaking as we speak so hopefully if I leave it in long enough it will remove the remaining color.

Do it again. :lol:

I did the same to my LL Bean shirt, and it just took a few times for it to reach the best color.

Best advice I can give is to be patient, and don't overdo it in each session if you want to keep the shirt's structural integrity and keep it from becoming splotchy.
Agreed. The LLBeans do the same thing. They rinse out green during the entire process. Then when you clean rinse them they look almost the same.

I got in the habit of tossing it in the dye remover whenever I was doing my original experiments. Anf after a few baths, I finally saw some difference.

The fact that you are seeeing pink rinse out of the shirt, mean that the remver is doing its job.
Keep at it. Everntually it'll lighten!
Falco09
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Falco09 »

Agreed. The LLBeans do the same thing. They rinse out green during the entire process. Then when you clean rinse them they look almost the same.

I got in the habit of tossing it in the dye remover whenever I was doing my original experiments. Anf after a few baths, I finally saw some difference.

The fact that you are seeeing pink rinse out of the shirt, mean that the remver is doing its job.
Keep at it. Everntually it'll lighten!
How many baths did you put it through? It's on its third ( and 5th packet of color remover) and still very little change.[/quote]
Dalexs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Dalexs »

Are you just using hot water or are you simmering it on the stove?
I've never had real luck just using hot water/wash method, the water doesn't get hot enough.

I usually (as seen in the tutorial) just get the water simmering and let it cook for about 30 minutes. I know this risks shrinking the shirt, but if the dye is that hard to get out, it may hold up.
Last edited by Dalexs on Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Falco09
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Falco09 »

Yeah I've just been using hot ( scalding to the touch) water in a bucket so perhaps I should try the pot simmer method.
PLATON
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by PLATON »

Where's the before and after pics?
Dalexs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Dalexs »

Heres' mine...
(Sorry, I don't have a before of my actual shirt, this is from the website.)

Falco09
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Falco09 »

Ok, tried the stovetop method several times. Here's a shot of the shirt with jacket and bag on to provide cotnrast. I'm pretty sure it has been lightened somewhat regardless of how it looks in the picture (I think the camera's balance tends to make it a taner hue in comparison to the dark leather of the jacket). What do you guys think?

Indiana Jake
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Jake »

After placing my shirt in the washer with two packets of Rit Color remover, hot water, and adding a pot of boiling water to raise temperature, no color change. The washer was reset on agitation cycle for at least an hour, and no color change. I'm done!

Indiana Jake
Dalexs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Dalexs »

Falco09,

Did you by vchance take before pics? Can anyone post some of Todds shirt for comparison.

I'd like to see your shirt in natural light. Indoors/mirror shots always affect how anything looks (mirrors especially because they have tinted backing.)
Falco09
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Falco09 »

Dalexs wrote:Falco09,

Did you by vchance take before pics? Can anyone post some of Todds shirt for comparison.

I'd like to see your shirt in natural light. Indoors/mirror shots always affect how anything looks (mirrors especially because they have tinted backing.)
I did, however when comparing the two pics there isn't really a discernable difference. However to my naked eye it does appear lighter with less of yellowish hue.
Dalexs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Dalexs »

It soundsl ike the Todds shirt is one tough nut to crack when it comes to the color.

Maybe someday I'll take a crack at one... :whip:
Falco09
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Falco09 »

I just came across this screen cap and noticed the color similarity of the screen shirt to what my Todd's now looks like. Is Indy' s shirt really that tan in Raiders in some scenes or is it leaning toward a more yellow hue because of light reflecting off the idol?

Indiana Strones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Indiana Strones »

I heard here that the new Todds shirts are less yellowish than the old ones: anyone can confirm this? :-k
gwyddion
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by gwyddion »

Falco09 wrote:I just came across this screen cap and noticed the color similarity of the screen shirt to what my Todd's now looks like. Is Indy' s shirt really that tan in Raiders in some scenes or is it leaning toward a more yellow hue because of light reflecting off the idol?

That's probably just the yelow lights they pointed at Harrison to make it look as if the Idol was glowing. Lighting does funny stuff to colours: that's why everyone is always asking for outdoor pics when colour is concerned.

Regards, Geert
Falco09
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Falco09 »

I was finally able to get a very SA color! What I did was..............................................ordered an Adventurebilt shirt. Anyone wanna buy a L size Todd's shirt?
theinterchange
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by theinterchange »

Indiana Strones wrote:I heard here that the new Todds shirts are less yellowish than the old ones: anyone can confirm this? :-k
I know that my first Todd's shirt was yellowish, and after the return I got one that was NOT yellowish. So there does seem to be a slight color change.

Randy
3thoubucks
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: Going to redye Todd's shirt

Post by 3thoubucks »

Todd's shirt color is 100% Raiders SA, if you are going for the idol grab look. Image