Grey Fedora with a Jeans Jacket? OTHER IDEAS?

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Grey Fedora with a Jeans Jacket? OTHER IDEAS?

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Hi everyone,
While I realize a grey hat is usually associated with the idea of being a "dressier" hat, I was thinking earlier that it might actually look pretty good when paired up with a nice looking jeans jacket (NOT IndyGear, I realize - I'm more from the School of Mix'n'Match"...)

Especially if the fedora was more of a "blue grey" than a "brown grey"...
(And I'm thinking a kind of nicer, darker blue jeans color rather than any sort of "Acid-Washed" look.)

Your thoughts?
And, does anyone out there have photos that either support (or disprove) my thinking?

Post 'em here if ya got 'em.
Thanks,
Mitch
Last edited by Mitch LaRue on Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Do it! Wear your hat with whatever you think looks good with it, be it a suit or jeans. My feeling is if you wear the hat, as opposed to the hat wearing you, it shouldn't matter, regardless of what others tell you. :wink:
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Thanks bink,
You're so often the first to respond with kind (and wise) words as well as words of encouragement... and for that I thank you (something I'm in the habit of doing...)

But, I may have misrepresented myself... so let me be specific:
I simply meant it in more of a vein of: "Hey out there to anyone who owns a grey lid and I nice dark blue jeans jacket, can you put 'em together and throw a couple of pictures into your post? I think that would look pretty cool and would love to see how it looks if you can help me out."
(You see, I TOTALLY agree with you about 'wearing the hat rather than the other way around' and actually don't have ANY concerns about what others think about what I wear...)
I just don't OWN a grey fedora - yet - to try out this combo myself and, between you and me bink, I've been enjoying COW so much lately that when a few days go by without some new photos showing up on the site - or when I keep seeing the same photos again and again - I really start jonesin' (forgive me) for NEW pics... and just wanted to stoke the fire by asking about something I was interested in seeing...

Yes, this is how I keep myself interested until people start posting photos of their Penman's (C'MON folks!)

So, I'm still asking... In fact, I'm BROADENING the request:
If you've got a photo of your fedora matched up with some Non-Indy (but still well-suited) matching outfits... Let's see a few photos!

Thanks,
Mitch
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

It's not denim, but...

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3286/281 ... 35.jpg?v=0

I also have a military-look spring jacket in dark gray (sorry, no pics) that goes well with most of my gray hats. The great thing about the Indy gray hat is that it only looks dressy if you want it to. Dark gray hats get tougher to dress-down, I find.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

I looked, Mitch, but I can't find any pictures off hand. :wink: I wear fedoras, whether brown, grey, or otherwise, with suits, jeans, different kinds of jackets, or nearly anything. If I can find any of me in a grey with something other than a suit, I'll pot it. :wink:
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Thanks guys,
I promise one day I'll have the hats I need to uphold my end of the deal and contribute my fair share for those who ask...
And that's yet another fine lid, Chewie.
You wear 'em well.
Mitch
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Okay, how's THIS for wearing something different with a grey fedora? :wink:

If you look in the middle of this image, that's Bufflehead wearing his grey AB with a striped polo shirt and blue jeans, and sneakers:

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1012/111 ... 68e7_b.jpg

Here we are again, casual with our grey hats:
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1029/111 ... abf2_b.jpg

Grey AB with brown G-2:
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/201/4986 ... 940fae.jpg

Does that help, Mitch? :wink:
theinterchange
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by theinterchange »

HEY ain't that a villain from the upcoming Richard Tracy movie? Ain't that MASKY? haha

Good to see nice hats being worn period!

P.S.. I had to say Richard because the censor kicked in when I used the detective's real name.
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

Nice look! Nothing like a little Sandman action!
Kentucky Blues
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kentucky Blues »

Bink, I don't know if Bufflehead's just really tall, but you look like a tiny man in that picture... Nice lids though! I'll try to get pictures of my grey hat on my head, wearing something other than a suit. I know it looks good with my wested though...

-KB :)
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

crismans wrote:Nice look! Nothing like a little Sandman action!
Bingo! That was last Halloween. :wink:
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Kentucky Blues wrote:Bink, I don't know if Bufflehead's just really tall, but you look like a tiny man in that picture...
It's a combination of both. Mutt and Jeff Syndrome. :wink:
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Great photos and GREAT hats, bink!
Thank you.

And I had to smile especially at the photo with just you & Bufflehead... Right this minute I'm wearing that EXACT style of pants ('cept in a sort of olive green) that you're wearing in that shot.
They're a good, all purpose cargo that works for pretty much any occasion - or adventure - you might find yourself on... and I think I have about 5 different (and different colored) pairs.
(And I think ALL 5 - with the right shirt - would probably go quite nicely with the grey fedora.)

:)

Mitch
Indiana Joyce
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Joyce »

That brings up something Ive wanted to ask...What goes with a Brown fedora? I feel like John Popper in my Indy hat if im not geared up...and it also seems that you would never mix brown and black, or brown and blue...i guess. I dunno Im a fashion victim.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

I think if you wore a nice pair of jeans with black leather shoes, black leather belt and a nice button down shirt i think it would work.
Zombie Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Zombie Jones »

Indiana Joyce wrote:That brings up something Ive wanted to ask...What goes with a Brown fedora? I feel like John Popper in my Indy hat if im not geared up...and it also seems that you would never mix brown and black, or brown and blue...i guess. I dunno Im a fashion victim.
Like Bink posted, wear the hat, don't let it wear you. I wear my Fed IV with black shirts, gray shirts, tan shirts, khaki shirts, blue shirts...whatever suits my fancy that day. But, I should add, I always wear a brown belt and shoes/boots when I wear my Fed (usually with blue jeans) so that it's not the only brown item I'm wearing.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

As far as the black/brown thing, what about leather shoes that have both black and brown in them? :shock: I have a tweed suit jacket which is a brown and black herringbone. Brown hats can come with black ribbons. I don't buy the whole "you can't wear black and brown together" bit. Heck, military uniforms have done that aplenty throughout the years.

It's colour contrast versus colour matching, so to speak. What I usually try to do is make sure that my color accents match or compliment each other. For instance, regarding the brown/black tweed jacket I mentioned, it looks predominantly dark brown, but I'll wear a black belt and black shoes with it and a brown hat with a black ribbon. That way, all the black bits tie the ensemble together. Heck, I've even worn black trousers with it as well as a brown hat, and it still looks sharp.

Black and brown can be worn together. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Same thing goes with grey and brown. Now, some combinations may look better to some than others, but it can be done. That said, there are days I walk out the door and just grab a hat, regardless of what colour it is! :wink:
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

To put it bluntly, I wear my greys with anything I want. If folks don't like it, they can look the other way.
:wink:

That's about as plain as I can put it.

I'm to the age I just don't care anymore, and quite frankly I've seen WAY to many old films and magazines that show that was the practice during the 'day', so if I'm wrong, so were they. :lol:

Regards! Michaelson
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Now THAT's the attitude we should all have!

"We'll wear what we want... what we like... what WE think looks good... makin' it up as we go...
And hey, even if we ARE wrong, at least we're all wrong TOGETHER!"
(And really, aren't we all in the best of company to be wrong together?)

:)
The Librarian
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Color clash

Post by The Librarian »

:shock: Averting my eyes! :shock:

[quote="Michaelson"]To put it bluntly, I wear my greys with anything I want. If folks don't like it, they can look the other way.
:wink:

That's about as plain as I can put it.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Mitch LaRue wrote:Now THAT's the attitude we should all have!

"We'll wear what we want... what we like... what WE think looks good... makin' it up as we go...
And hey, even if we ARE wrong, at least we're all wrong TOGETHER!"
Woof.

:lol:
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

binkmeisterRick wrote:As far as the black/brown thing, what about leather shoes that have both black and brown in them? :shock: I have a tweed suit jacket which is a brown and black herringbone. Brown hats can come with black ribbons. I don't buy the whole "you can't wear black and brown together" bit. Heck, military uniforms have done that aplenty throughout the years.

It's colour contrast versus colour matching, so to speak. What I usually try to do is make sure that my color accents match or compliment each other. For instance, regarding the brown/black tweed jacket I mentioned, it looks predominantly dark brown, but I'll wear a black belt and black shoes with it and a brown hat with a black ribbon. That way, all the black bits tie the ensemble together. Heck, I've even worn black trousers with it as well as a brown hat, and it still looks sharp.

Black and brown can be worn together. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Same thing goes with grey and brown. Now, some combinations may look better to some than others, but it can be done. That said, there are days I walk out the door and just grab a hat, regardless of what colour it is! :wink:

I agree you can mix brown with black but it sounded like he wasn't sure and didn't feel comfortable> Though I would give him what I do.

Michaeson, Thats my attitude as well. Wear what you like and don't care to much what others think.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

True, Oak, it all comes down to being comfortable in your own attire, regardless of the colour. :wink:
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

binkmeisterRick wrote:True, Oak, it all comes down to being comfortable in your own attire, regardless of the colour. :wink:

Or your own skin.
morethanatimelord
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by morethanatimelord »

i wear my brown fed with just about anything really but mainly darker colours. i wear my brown fed with jeans as well ive even worn my fed while walking the dog in the summer in my 3/4 length camo shorts :). i think a fed goes alot better with proper shirts rather than T-shirts though :)
indyrocks
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by indyrocks »

I agree with you guys. The nice thing about the light grey or brown colors is that they pretty much match anything. Although I will admit I prefer a proper shirt over a t shirt. But again, rock it how you like it! Jeans look awesome with my Wested as well and I think the same about fedoras.
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

Indiana Joyce wrote:That brings up something Ive wanted to ask...What goes with a Brown fedora? I feel like John Popper in my Indy hat if im not geared up...and it also seems that you would never mix brown and black, or brown and blue...i guess. I dunno Im a fashion victim.
Medium or dark brown hats will go with nearly anything, except maybe bluish grays. A navy blazer or suit will look very nice with a brown fedora, as will blue denim, OD Green field jackets and shirts, leather of nearly any color but pink...

Many have said brown can work with gray, but I have yet to succeed in making that combination work.

Black mixed with Brown is a matter of taste and specific accent and clothing color combinations. I like to combine clothes or accessories of light to mid brown with black, and then try for the brown hat.
To illustrate the perfect marriage of brown and black on a hat, check one the first "Young Guns" movie. When Billy the Kid gets his new hat at the start of the film, it's a black bowler with brown ribbon and brim binding. Truly, a hat for every outfit! :wink:
JimL
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by JimL »

I play it a bit more safe...

If I have a brown hat, I go with a brown belt and brown shoes. Earth tones in general work well together, so browns, greens kaki etc. are fine.

If I am wearing a black belt and shoes, I would go with a grey hat (if I had one) or black (if I had one).

It is not set in stone, but you always look more 'put together' if you take a few minutes to think out your wardrobe before walking out of the house.

Brown is a good neutral color, but if it is worn with several bright colors, and not even a belt, you will look like an overly casual dresser with a hat on, rather than a well dressed gentleman.

My opinion only of course, but I think it has merit in this case...
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

My opinion only of course, but I think it has merit in this case...
Absolutely!

Regard! Michaelson
Indiana Joyce
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Joyce »

See I will wear my fedora with my close enough Indy shoes, so at least theres more brown..but I need more "proper" shirts. Ive been thinking about buying more cabela style shirts with epaulets on them, seems fitting somehow. I definitely want a grey or black fedora too...I wore my hat to work one day( I work in a refrigerated warehouse) and Ive never felt so comfy except I worried about ruining it, so Id like to get another fedora just for work.
Zombie Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Zombie Jones »

binkmeisterRick wrote:Woof.

:lol:
We named the dog Indiana.

I can't believe nobody beat me to it. :wink:
Aggie
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Aggie »

Michaelson wrote: I'm to the age I just don't care anymore, and quite frankly I've seen WAY to many old films and magazines that show that was the practice during the 'day', so if I'm wrong, so were they. :lol:

Regards! Michaelson
I'm at the point where I realize that I dress a #### of a lot better than most of the kids around here, so I don't care either. I go out of my way to utilize clothing to my advantage in order to make me look my best. I have enough respect for myself to at least ATTEMPT to look good instead of throwing on whatever five minutes before the bus gets here.

Am I overdressed at times? Probably, but as long as I look good, I don't really care. Of course, some clothing is more appropriate at times than others. I'll wear boots and jeans or shorts and walking shoes to a tailgate party but you won't see me wearing some oddball t-shirt in my worst color to class.
JimL
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by JimL »

It is always better to be over dressed, rather than under dresed.

(Unless of course you are in the adult entertainment industry) :oops:
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Bufflehead Jones »

binkmeisterRick wrote:
Kentucky Blues wrote:Bink, I don't know if Bufflehead's just really tall, but you look like a tiny man in that picture...
You think that is something, you should see folks expressions when I step out of my wife's MINI Cooper S.

Actually, that car is not very wide, but it has tons of legroom. I can't even reach the steering wheel with the seat all the way back. It just looks so small from the outside, people don't know how I fit.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Bufflehead Jones wrote:
binkmeisterRick wrote:
You think that is something, you should see folks expressions when I step out of my wife's MINI Cooper S.

:rolling: :rolling: :rolling: Further proof that you ran away with the circus when you were a kid. :wink: