Source for close enough boots...

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

anniv111701
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Source for close enough boots...

Post by anniv111701 »

Hi all,

I just got a pair of "close enough" boots and thought I'd share if anyone's interested:

(Please excuse the "not even close enough to be called 'close enough' pants...)

They came already distressed (because they're used) and they're a bit too tall (but I can live with that because they're hidden by the pants) and they were definitely affordable (because they were under $30 bucks).

The styles vary a bit and you'd be hard pressed to find multiples of the same style, but the stock changes constantly and like I said they come pre-distressed.

And they're really cheap.

Anyway, they're from an eBay store called SLH Distributors; the following is the link to the "men's work boots" section:

http://stores.ebay.com/SLH-DISTRIBUTORS ... idZ2QQtZkm

[MODS - If this link is inappropriate, I apologize; I was presuming it was okay because it wasn't a specific auction item - if I've inadvertently violated policy, please remove this link and accept my apologies...]

Hope this was helpful for someone.

Take care,
Mike
Piers
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Piers »

some look pretty good

take away the label on this one

Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

Those look really good once the trousers cover the tall ankles! I'd go as far as to say they are among the closest of the close enoughs I've seen.
ArtooMetoo
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by ArtooMetoo »

Those look really, really nice!

What brand and style did you pick up?
DVD Connoisseur
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by DVD Connoisseur »

Great looking boots! Very close to the Aldens with the pants covering the ankle area.
anniv111701
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by anniv111701 »

>Those look really, really nice!
>
>What brand and style did you pick up?

They appear to be vintage; they're "John C. Roberts Outdoorsman"*.

A quick Google search didn't bring up much more than a couple of old 1940's-50's era John C. Roberts Shoes ads.

I found the SLH site pretty sparse on details; As I recall, not a lot of brands (just big ones like Red Wing, etc.) were named in the listings... I just searched for my size under "Men's Work Boots" and eyeballed the thumbnails until I saw some things that looked Alden-ish.

Anyway, it might be a good way to pick up a pair you don't have to do much work on, and the price is definitely right.

Hope this is helpful.

Take care,
Mike

*Weirdly, the brand tag is all in black stitching - except "Roberts" which is in red in a nearly "Raiders" font...