Two Tone whips: best combinations?

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

what two colors look best together on whips?

Natural and Saddle Tan
25%
Natural and Whiskey
5%
Natural and Brandy
10%
Natural and Black
15%
Saddle Tan and Whiskey
10%
Saddle Tan and Brandy
5%
Saddle Tan and Black
10%
Whiskey and Brandy
5%
Whiskey and Black
15%
Brandy and Black
No votes

Total votes: 20

Shagbd
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Two Tone whips: best combinations?

Post by Shagbd »

Id love to hear everyones opinion on this.
when it comes to two tone whips, whats your favorite two colors and why?

lets keep it with "normal" colors... not really including purples, green etc... but if thats your digs, please let us know!
Indiana_Hall
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor
Location: Where ya gotta go north to get to the deep South....

Post by Indiana_Hall »

Personally, I go for natural and black, if for no other reason than the fact that there's such a stark contrast between them. Plus, you get to watch the natural darken over time until you can barely tell the difference....Roohide is just such a sweet leather because of that aging factor....

Highest Regards,
- Chris
Magno
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Magno »

It might help if you posted some sample pictures of the colors you are describing. Personally I'm having a bit of a hard time distinguishing colors by leather dye names.
Shagbd
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Shagbd »

ill refer you over to Paul's site.... these pictures do a good job of showing the different colors http://www.midwestwhips.com/Bullwhip.html

also this is a good example of a two tone Natural/Brandy whip by Joe Strain
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

I won't vote because I don't know what color is what except natural tan. I personally think something natural or lighter in color mixed with a rich reddish brown looks fantastic! *sigh* One day... one day...
LemonLauren
Vendor

Post by LemonLauren »

If it's helpful at all, here's a quick list of the colors the way I think of them... if I ever find the time, I'd like to try to take a nice photograph of all the colors. The problem is though that you can't just look at plain hides and see the colors - all the hides darken and change color a decent bit when we put the plaiting soap and (eventually) the shellac on the leather.

Natural Tan - The lightest tan color, the color every Indy whip started out as brand new (at least in the first three movies).

Saddle Tan - A "medium" brown, kind of like walnut wood. Smack in between natural tan and whiskey.

Whiskey - Deep, rich, much darker brown. Close to the thong color of the Indy 4 whip as we see it on screen.

Brandy - Such a dark brown that it almost might as well be black. In most lighting, it's indistinguishable from black, except when side-by-side with it.

Black - Just black, obviously.

Another color that I particularly love braiding whips in is whiskey red - not a whole lot of whipmakers carry it, so far as I know. The name is a little deceiving - it's a brownish reddish color but not as dark as whiskey. It actually reminds me of the full richness of a deep red mahogany wood stain. I love it :-)

If I had to pick just one combo from the list, I'd probably pick Natural and Saddle Tan. But I also think Natural and Whiskey Red would look amazing together too.

Neat thread topic - I'm enjoying hearing everybody's opinions on the perfect color combo! :-)

Lauren Wickline
www.midwestwhips.com
Shagbd
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Shagbd »

LemonLauren wrote: I also think Natural and Whiskey Red would look amazing together too.

Lauren Wickline
www.midwestwhips.com

wow! i havent seen this color before! got any pics?

I think you MAY have just decided my color combination ive been looking for........ !

gotta let Paul know now.... :-)

I aggree that natural and saddletan would look neat together..... the big question is, how long before they look like the same color? really that could be said of ANY of these colors, i guess they all will darken over time..... cept for black obviously....
right off the bat, i was thinking of a stark contrast..... lightest color and darkest color....
but these "in between" colors are really purdy too...

Im interested in seeing these "whiskey red".... ya got my interest peeked...
LemonLauren
Vendor

Post by LemonLauren »

Here are two pictures of whips done in whiskey red. As you can see from the difference in color between the two pictures, it's not an easy color to capture with a camera, let alone an old camera like ours. The first pic is a 16 plait performers whip Paul made from whiskey red with natural tan accents. The second pic is a 5ft 12 plait target whip I made quite a while back also in solid whiskey red. I think the true color is somewhere inbetween the colors that show up in the pictures. More vibrant and red than my whip appears, and deeper and a little more "mahogany" brown than Paul's whip appears.

Lauren Wickline
www.midwestwhips.com

Shagbd
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Shagbd »

SOLD!!!

that looks fxxxgxn fraggin awesome!

ok Paul! are you listening? Natural and Whiskey Red it is!
at least.... until i change my mind again...
Shagbd
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Shagbd »

btw, meant to give you props on that second picture....... i like the photography in that shot..... on the mirror..........
neat...
Shagbd
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Shagbd »

lauren, i think i found another shot of it that makes it look a lil less bright
is this it?

I had actually spotted this whip a while back and noticed the title of the picture file said whiskey.... confused me, but now i realize why
LemonLauren
Vendor

Post by LemonLauren »

Yes, I think that picture might be a little closer to the real color, though it still appears a little more "orange" than it does in real life.

Everybody else, please don't stop posting and voting about your favorite color combinations! :-)

Lauren Wickline
www.midwestwhips.com
Shagbd
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Shagbd »

rawk on! you got me interested!!

Oh yes folks, didnt mean to sidetrack this thread, keep the opinions coming!
IndyWhips
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by IndyWhips »

Brandy and Natural or Black and Natural for me :D

The Wife...

Pink and Purple

:o :o :o :o :o

Tony
Indiana Strones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Indiana Strones »

Natural and Saddle Tan
Cracker
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Cracker »

Black and Tan or Black and Natural, only because I have both. But I've seen other combinations I like also.
Shagbd
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Shagbd »

Cracker wrote:Black and Tan or Black and Natural, only because I have both. But I've seen other combinations I like also.
Ok im glad you mentioned that because i want to change the tone of this thread slightly to make it more upbeat...

SHOW ME your two tone whips!!

its pic posting time!
kooniu
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by kooniu »

natural and black look very nice