Lee "close enough" khakis - UPDATED - pocket flaps

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Switch625
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Lee "close enough" khakis - UPDATED - pocket flaps

Post by Switch625 »

I picked up a pair of these Lee double pleat khakis at Kohls tonight for $20. The color is "twig" and I think they're pretty close for a low cost "close enough" alternative. They don't have the back pocket flaps but I think I can live with that.

What do you think?
Last edited by Switch625 on Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ark Hunter
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Ark Hunter »

They look great in that picture. Hopefully they look as good in person.
TheMechanic
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by TheMechanic »

Get the longest pair you can find, have them hemmed, keep the extra fabric and have the tailor make the pocket flaps for you.
Switch625
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Switch625 »

I wish I'd thought of that before I bought them. The back pocket flaps aren't really that important to me because I'm the only one I know who would notice. I can always pick up a second pair and make them myself if I wanted to.
Hedji
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Hedji »

Ark Hunter
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Ark Hunter »

I'd guess it's the stain resistant ones as the others doesn't have a color even close to the right one. Amazon had some too, but not in the right color.
Switch625
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Switch625 »

Hedji wrote:Are these the same ones?

http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/mens/pa ... Pants.jsp#
That's the one. I'm not exactly knowledgeable of the finer, miniscule details of the pants except for the back pocket flaps, but I think color-wise they're pretty darn close.
Switch625
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Switch625 »

I was bored this weekend, so I bought another pair of pants and used them to make pocket flaps.

My sewing skills are VERY limited and this is FAR from perfect, but I think it's close enough. I should have hemmed them all the way around the flap, but I don't know how to do the scallops at the bottom.

I also didn't notice until this little exercise that only the left back pocket came with a button so I was able to cannibalize the button from the new pair and attach it to the right pocket.

Here they are with my new Fed IV (which gets more awesome every time I put it on). The camera flash really washed out the color on these. Their color is really the closest I've found in a store to Indy's "officer's pinks" so you'll have to trust me on that one.

TheMechanic
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by TheMechanic »

t's what I'm talking about! A little ingenuity can solve most any problem.
Good job.
Switch625
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Switch625 »

Thank you! I'm very proud of how they turned out. The rest of my gear should be delivered this week and then I'm all set!
Ark Hunter
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Ark Hunter »

I went and saw these in the store yesterday and the color (at least in the store lighting) looked too brown/dark. Maybe they look better in daylight or something. They look good in photos though. Nice work on the pockets BTW.
bigrex
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by bigrex »

Ark Hunter wrote:I went and saw these in the store yesterday and the color (at least in the store lighting) looked too brown/dark. Maybe they look better in daylight or something. They look good in photos though...
Hmm, I ordered one to try out since you almost can't miss for the price. I'll see if it's too dark, too light, or just right (according to my personal subjective perception that is...) #-o
Ark Hunter
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Ark Hunter »

Indeed. It is all subjective to personal opinion and what light you are looking at them in. My Noel Howard pants change color too, everything does, so it's just what screen shot you are going for and if you want them to look good in pictures or out doors or what. It'll drive you insane! ](*,)
Switch625
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Switch625 »

I can see why you think they're too dark. They're definitely darker than other khaki pants I find at the store, but they're not quite brown either. I think once they've been worn enough and they've been through the wash a few times, they'll lighten up a bit. Like Big Rex and Ark Hunter said, it all depends on your perception and which screenshot you like best. The pants are different colors from scene to scene and movie to movie, based on the different lighting they used, so it's all about what you think works best.
bigrex
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by bigrex »

The color of the pants I received looks reasonably true to their online image.