Indy motorcycle jacket

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Magnum
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Indy motorcycle jacket

Post by Magnum »

I will soon be buying a motorcycle (a Harley Sportster) and I want to wear my Indy jacket on it. I currently have a Wested Raiers Lambskin, but I'm afraid that it is too light in weight and it will just flap around. So, prefferably a Wested, what is the best Indy jacket for a motorcycle? What leather and what style (small collar Raiders, or large collar LC)? I'm not concerned about protection from road rash, just a jacket that won't flap around and annoy the heck out of me. Thanks.
Indydawg

Go with either-

Post by Indydawg »

The goatskin or the cowhides...either distressed or new finish.

That would give you the best leather for what you're looking for.

Later!
Indydawg
Captain D
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Captain D »

O yea! Definitely a wested cowhide! :D

Regards,
Captain D
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

You can get a thicker skinned coat, but I'd use the lambskin too, as long as you're not hot dogging it, you'll be fine. A motorcycle ride is a great way to help naturally distress a coat.

Mike
jaydoc1
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by jaydoc1 »

I happen to wear my US Wings Vintage Cow while riding my motorcycle. For me, at least, body protection is a major factor to consider when picking a motorcycle jacket.
As we speak I'm waiting for a custom made jacket from Vanson Leathers. Once that arrives, I'm retiring the Indy jacket from motorcycle use.

Jaydoc
buletman
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by buletman »

I was actually searching for a post before I made my own new thread, and I found it ;)...

I am getting a motorcycle very soon, and I was wondering if authentic lamb would be too sensitive to flying debris, maybe even getting holes in it from big enough rocks...what do you guys think??

If you are wondering what bike: Kawasaki Ninja 500R (2004)

I have ridden (does that make sense?) dirtbikes for about 4 years now, and love motorcycles, so I think it is time to finally start to drive one to get around 8)
Chamorro
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chamorro »

Forget the lamb. Go with goat or cowhide. An MC jacket is for protection. Choose the tough leathers.

One thing I don't like about the Indy Jacket as an MC jacket is the barrel cuffs. It lets too much wind in. They will bellow up when you ride. A true motorcycle jacket has zippers on the cuffs so that you may tighten them to keep out the wind. Yes, that's not exactly screen accurate.

A way around it is to wear gauntlet-type gloves that go over the cuffs of your jacket.

Also, that stormflap will be dancing in the wind along with the collar because they have no snaps on them.
buletman
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by buletman »

I really like the brown though...I think I will go with lamb and take my chances...I know you are just trying to help, but was getting the jacket before the bike, and I could care less about a leather jacket for my bike, so worst comes to worst, I just won't wear it...
Indiana Jess
Scoundrel

Post by Indiana Jess »

Listen to Chamorro! He's absolutely right about the jacket inflating and the collar flapping around. When I wore my Indy jacket while riding the wind would catch the collar and flap it against my helmet continuously. The constant wacking against my helmet finally got so annoying and I was afraid it would eventually ruin the collar, that I quit wearing the jacket. Another thing to know is that a jacket that inflats with air can be exhausting - if it's a baggy jacket, it's like having a small parachute attached to your back. Now I don't use a windshield on my bike, if yours does you might not have this problem. Just something to be aware of.
Renderking Fisk
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Renderking Fisk »

How did Harrison wear his jacket on the Motorcycle and not have it bellow up during LC?
buletman
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by buletman »

I have an idea:

What if I asked peter to somehow implement a zipper in the wrist? Hidden of course ;)... And button on the collar and stormflap...aren't all of these things you said easily fixable?

Chad
Chamorro
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chamorro »

Renderking Fisk wrote:How did Harrison wear his jacket on the Motorcycle and not have it bellow up during LC?
He kept his hat on too. :roll: The magic of movies. :wink:
PETER
Vendor

Post by PETER »

I have made several Biker Raiders.
All were made in heavy duty cowhide Brown and Black with hidden press studs(snaps) on the collar to stop flaping.
Cheers
Peter
buletman
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by buletman »

Peter, you think authentic lamb would be a waste right?

Maybe I'll just have to get 2 jackets ;)...
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Renderking Fisk wrote:How did Harrison wear his jacket on the Motorcycle and not have it bellow up during LC?
If memory serves, his jacket was unzipped. This will just cause a flapping of the jacket behind you instead of trapping the air inside. Plus they probably weren't travelling at speeds fast enough to cause extreme flapping of the jacket.

And if you want to get really literal, the camera truck in front of them probably blocked some wind as well. :wink:

Mike

P.S.: Man I miss my bike. :cry:
Renderking Fisk
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Renderking Fisk »

Man I miss my bike.
Did you ever ride it with your fedora on?
Rundquist
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Rundquist »

I have to reiterate what’s been said above. The Indy jacket is not really a functional design. It’s strictly for looks. If you want function, go with an A-2 or a G-1, or a standard motorcycle jacket (Schott old style) for that matter. Both the A-2 & G-1 have knitted trimming to keep the wind out and the A-2 has snaps on the collar to keep it from vibrating and slapping you in the face. Cheers
Operator Jake
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Just two cents, and not looking for change.

Post by Operator Jake »

Saw this and had to add a little.

The black cow US Wings Indy jacket, which was/is advertised as a "motorcycle" jacket, will be hash after most any accident, almost regardless of how minor. Personally, I feel it's a crime to advertise anything as a motorcycle jacket that is not at LEAST competition-weight leather (1.3 mm thick or better). This gives the best protection you can get from anything out there, end of story. Just from personal experience, the jacket also is right next to useless when it comes to properly sharpened blades, and I've got the handsew stitches on mine to show for it (thankfully, not the scars, though).

Since, as you've shared, you're not overly interested in the functionality of the jacket, no worries. This is just a friendly word of caution that a small accident will destroy a very expensive jacket. It really doesn't take much at all.
Indiana Jess
Scoundrel

Re: Just two cents, and not looking for change.

Post by Indiana Jess »

Operator Jake wrote: This is just a friendly word of caution that a small accident will destroy a very expensive jacket.
Destroy? Around here we call that "distressing". :roll:
Chipster
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Chipster »

Just wanted to add my 2 cents,
While I love my wested jacket and do enjoy wearing it on rides it wont provide that much protection.
For example, the sleeves will ride up in the event of you sliding down the road leaving your arms uncovered (ouch) and also your lower back.
Again just my opinion.
Indiana Texas-girl
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Indiana Texas-girl »

Jake, have you had Kevlar lining placed in your jacket yet?
Operator Jake
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Operator Jake »

Howdy, ITG. Practicality and a military kid's paycheck have kept that project on indefinate hold.

A member of COW, a police officer (lord, the memory is getting dim--I can't even remember his name anymore; one too many fists, rocks and logs to the head, I guess) pointed me in the direction of a new style of personal protection that looks and wears just like a T-shirt. It has yet to take the trial by fire, and I honestly hope it stays that way. Protection that thin has GOT to hurt; broken ribs, internal stuff--but you're supposed to live.

This is a much more sensible option, since most of the places I go to are warm weather, and a jacket would be out of place, not to mention hot. A T-shirt under an L.L. Bean poplin is so much more comfortable at the moment.

I did just reenlist, and the bonus was very nice (don't think for a second that it was money that kept me in, though--I really can't imagine doing anything else, I would have stayed without bribery), so I'm putting it to use. Most of it went to help save the world, although I did order a brown Akubra (lovin' it), and I promised myself a long vacation back in Florida with the cutest and most dedicated waitress Disney has onboard (life, liberty, and the happiness of pursuit). If there is any change left, you may yet be able to see the "bullet-proof" Indy jacket next time our paths cross.

Let's be careful out there.