Which web belt is best/do people have, Khaki or Brown?

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Which web belt to get?

Khaki with brass buckle
24%
Khaki with steel buckle
5%
Brown with brass buckle
54%
Brown with steel buckle
17%

Total votes: 41

JC1972
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Which web belt is best/do people have, Khaki or Brown?

Post by JC1972 »

I'm getting a web belt (finally) from Todd's Costumes and I see he has brown & khaki belts with brass or steel buckles. :? What do people have normally? Thanks for your input! :D
Bazza
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Bazza »

I have a Khaki bet with brass buckle......Prefer the LC khaki look!
JC1972
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by JC1972 »

Thanks for the votes. Reason why I ask especially on the buckles is I see this on Todd's site:

...Now for buckles. I have gilded steel with gilded steel tips. These are "screen accurate". The buckles used in the films were steel buckles that were sanded heavily so that most of the brass color was gone...
For those that want a better quality buckle, I also offer solid brass buckles with solid brass tips. It might not be movie accurate, but it is more "period" and it will last longer and not rust.
TheMechanic
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by TheMechanic »

I got the WW2 replica belt from What Price Glory and dyed it brown for the Raiders look. Then swapped out their imported buckle for a real WW2 vintage buckle.

I also have the Todd's Raiders belt, brown with brass buckle. It's easy to age the buckle too. You'll have to sand off the clear finish that's on it and if you're patient, nature will do the rest.

Depends on what look you're going for, Raiders brown or the other films khaki.
Indiana Jake
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Seated in a Pan Am Sea Plane, flying over a map of Glendale, CA

Post by Indiana Jake »

I have a brown belt and a khaki belt from Todd's. They both have brass buckles. Nicest I've seen.

BTW - Great minds think alike Mechanic! I found a vintage buckle as well.

I agree about sanding down the shine. I'm doing that to all the metal hardware I wear for my gear. Bag strap, rivets, holster buckle, etc.

Indiana Jake
RobbyT43
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Well depending on the time, I could be in one spot or several...

Post by RobbyT43 »

I picked up a Khaki and Olive drab color at the Army-Surplus store near me. They were $2 and I wear the Khaki one nearly everyday. I only got the steel buckle model though...I will need to go back soon and get brass ones.

-Robby 8)
WinstonWolf359
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by WinstonWolf359 »

I have both the brown and the khaki, both with brass buckles and both from Todd. I started off with the brown as I originally wanted to go all Raiders, but I've really warmed up to the Last Crusade/Crystal Skull look and figured why not have both?
Risu
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Risu »

I wear a brown web belt from a military surplus store. No better way to get exactly what they used for the movie. I prefer the Raiders look, and I just think the khaki doesn't look quite right against the Wested pants.
Indiana Williams
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Williams »

I have a brown/brass belt. If I ever decide to venture into the LC or CS gear then Ill go to my local surplus store and pick up a khaki one.
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Bufflehead Jones »

These things cost two or three bucks. I have three brown ones, a khaki, a blue and a black. I wear them quite often and I don't have any that are even showing signs of wear, yet.
gwyddion
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by gwyddion »

I have both the khaki and the brown webbelt from Todd. Both have the brass buckles because I love the way brass looks when it dulls a little.

To show what I mean just take a look at these old belts:

These are not my Todd belts, but my dad's belts from when he was in the army. They both have seen an enormous amount of wear and are pretty distressed. The one at the top is a brass one, the one at the bottom a steel one. both are about 30 jears old, and although the brass one has brown rust stains, I like it more than the steel one.
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

I got the WW2 replica belt from What Price Glory and dyed it brown for the Raiders look. Then swapped out their imported buckle for a real WW2 vintage buckle.
Can I ask why you went through all of this trouble when as Buff says, new ones are only a few bucks. It sounds like you had very little of the original belt left when you were done. Just curious. Was it just a project to see how it will come out?
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

love your awatar A5

respect!

bests
Eric
Solent MKIII
Museum Curator
Museum Curator
Location: Sharing living space with a near-sighted scrap pile

Post by Solent MKIII »

Picked up a couple of the brown web belts at surplus shop a couple of towns over.
Only problem was, they only had ones with BLACK hardware #-o. Changing out the
buckle was pretty easy though as they snap and unsnap over the web behind the
buckle. The end piece was a little more of a pain. I had to use a thin flathead screw-
driver to carefully pry open the folded end ( the end piece has little hooks in it that
grab the webbing material when it's folded down ) and pull out the web. I used a
vice with the jaws covered with thin posterboard so as not to mar the new brass
end, then carefully compressed the replacement piece flat over the end of the webbing.
Kind of a pain, but I just couldn't see paying shipping costs for the correct belt that
cost more than the belt itself! The khaki belts look good too, but I wanted the brown
one as I'm going for the Raiders look :junior: