Expo Ordered

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

zohar
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Expo Ordered

Post by zohar »

After much hemming and hawwing on my part, I finally ordered a FlightSuits Expedition, in Dark Brown Chrome Goat. I was thinking of going with the Seal, but decided to try dark brown, and see if I liked it. I know that almost everybody around these parts that has the new Expos has them in Seal, so I wanted to try something different, and see how it compares. If I don't like it, I still have 3 months to decide if I want the Seal.

Thanks much to all who offered advice in old posts, and PM's!

~Z
The_Edge
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by The_Edge »

Congratulations! You will not be disappointed.
Captain D
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Captain D »

Congrats on the jacket!! I too have been thinking about buying one of these jackets...can anyone out there help answer some questions of mine?...

1.) what is the delivery time to get one of these jackets..?
2.) Are they screen accurate?
3.) which of their Goatskins are the DARKEST in color?
4.) Do the Flightsuits Expedition jackets have interior leather facings like Wested's have? And, do their Action Pleats STAY closed?
5.) Under the Flightsuits discount page, they have a few "Expedition" jackets marked down as "prototype." What does this mean?

Thank you!
Captain D

p.s- I've heard alot about the Flightsuits Goatskins...however, I'm just a lil' confused with all of the "veg goatskin, the seal goatskin, and the chrome-Goatskin." Which of these 3 is the DARKEST in color, and, MOST DURABLE? I'm debating to whether or not to buy one, and I would like to learn as much as possible before I actually order one.
Sergei
Admin Emeritus
Location: Off the grid, in from the cold - Jack's Canyon ~1119

Post by Sergei »

Captain D wrote:Congrats on the jacket!! I too have been thinking about buying one of these jackets...can anyone out there help answer some questions of mine?...

4.) Do the Flightsuits Expedition jackets have interior leather facings like Wested's have? And, do their Action Pleats STAY closed?
5.) Under the Flightsuits discount page, they have a few "Expedition" jackets marked down as "prototype." What does this mean?

Thank you!
Captain D

p.s- I've heard alot about the Flightsuits Goatskins...however, I'm just a lil' confused with all of the "veg goatskin, the seal goatskin, and the chrome-Goatskin." Which of these 3 is the DARKEST in color, and, MOST DURABLE? I'm debating to whether or not to buy one, and I would like to learn as much as possible before I actually order one.
Let me take a stab:
About 2 to 4 weeks.

Yes! _ actually took percise measurements of a Raiders jacket used in the film. It was Terry Leonard's.

The "Dark Brown" Goat is the darkest. The Seal Brown is lighter and a little redder.

No they do not have leather facings. But that is only because of "screen accuracy". And yes, the pleats stay closed. They do it via "elastic straps" which is the same method used for G1's, which is a 60+ year design!

Well the prototype means that these are pre-mod jackets. The major difference is the pocket placements were done further away from the storm flap.

One note, is that these jackets have a 3 month return policy. If you keep it, the seams and stiching are guarenteed for the life of the jacket to the original owner. The stiching is done to "military spec". It's not a marketing term, but actually conforms to a method of stiching that allows them to make such a guarantee. Customers of Flight Suits are the; Blue Angels, Thunderbirds, Police Departments, Commercial Pilots, Private Pilots, Emergency Personnel, Military Personnel, etc...

Hope this helps...
-Sergei
Captain D
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Captain D »

Hello there Sergie!

"Thank you" for answering my questions! :D

I was just curious to find out about the action pleats and a few minor things...

1.) Are the action pleats sewn closed.....or do they stay closed with some depth to them?
2.) Flightsuits just makes "Raider's of the Lost Ark" style right?
3.) How tough is the Goatskin...very durable?
4.) Does anyone have some good pics of their Flightsuits?
5.) Do these jackets tend to run on the larger or smaller size?
6.) And lastly, what about the lining? Do FS Expeditions all have one standard lining in all of their jackets?

"Thank you" for your time, I appreciate it!
Captain D
Sergei
Admin Emeritus

Post by Sergei »

Captain D wrote:Hello there Sergie!

"Thank you" for answering my questions! :D

I was just curious to find out about the action pleats and a few minor things...

1.) Are the action pleats sewn closed.....or do they stay closed with some depth to them?
5.) And lastly, what about the lining? Do FS Expeditions all have one standard lining in all of their jackets?

"Thank you" for your time, I appreciate it!
Captain D
Reference the above picture, FS left and Wested on the right (BTW, there is a complete set of comparison pictures from the main Indygear site, which is where this came from). Both of these jackets are post mod, built around last September 2002.

If you observe the above picture, the FS is not sewn shut. That would defeat the purpose of the action pleats (???). The pleat depth on the FS is standard per the movie, but the movement is controlled in a transparent manner by hidden elastic straps. This is the same technique used in the 60+ year design for the G1 jackets.

If you look at the Wested on the right, you see that is stays open. However, Peter has corrected the problem by adding more depth to the pleat, which aids in opening/closing.

Yes, FS only makes the Raiders style.

Extremely durable without sacrifice to drape. In my opinion, it's the true adventurer jacket hide. It' more waterproof, more durable and it simulates the drape of the lamb the best, compared to the other leathers.

Check the above picture and the main Indygear site. Shaking my finger at you, you should have looked their first. And, and, there are a ton of posts on this very forum with pictures. You can check the thread I started a few months ago.
http://www.indygear.com/forum/viewtopic ... plant+tour

5.) And lastly, what about the lining? Do FS Expeditions all have one standard lining in all of their jackets?
Yes, a standard lining comes with the jacket. It's a very sturdy polyester twill lining.

-Sergei
The_Edge
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by The_Edge »

I just wanted to chime in since I just love talking about the FS Expedition. Best jacket I've owned in 20 years... :wink:

I received my Expo. two weeks to the day from the order date.

The external aesthetics are as screen accurate as you can get but there are internal designs that make the jacket much more functional. Such as the pleated lining and the elastic that keeps the action pleats closed when not being flexed.

I believe the dark brown is.

Leather facings are not present on the FS although they can be special ordered for extra. The Action Pleats do stay closed assuming you have purchased your correct size.

These jackets were made while the Expo. was in the R&D faze. They are pre-mod as far as pocket placement and such but there is absolutely nothing wrong with them construction and quality wise.

Goatskin is Goatskin. All the choices are very durable and rugged.

They are not sewn closed. They stay closed when arms are relaxed at your side and open when flexed.

Correct.

I have the chrome tanned, seal brown goat from last Summer and I've accidentally snagged it a couple times with no problems. I've also plowed through heavy brush out in the forrest while wearing it and you would never know it.

Search the Jacket pages or look at the main site.

5.) Do these jackets tend to run on the larger or smaller size?

I would say they run a tad bit larger.

6.) And lastly, what about the lining? Do FS Expeditions all have one standard lining in all of their jackets?

FS lining is, in my opinion, the best there is. I absolutely swear by the stuff. I even had the FS lining put into my Wested because it is so durable.
Chamorro
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chamorro »

How dark do you want it? They DO have black, BTW.

Just talked to Travis at FS and their turn around time right now is 2 1/2 weeks out of the factory, custom. If you are a standard size that they have in stock, 24 hours with overnight shipping.
Captain D
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Captain D »

Hey guys! :D

All I can say is..."WOW" I am impressed with Flightsuits indeed!

I have never really looked into buying a jacket, other than Wested, until recently. I have been reading as much as I can about Flightsuits, and like I said, I am indeed VERY impressed. So, I gather that everything is the same on a "pre-mod" and a "post-mod" Flightsuits Indy jacket other than the pocket placements?

I "THANK YOU" you gentlemen for writing your experiences and details about the Flightsuits Indy jacket! Within a few short weeks, I will be placing another order for an "Indy" jacket, so I have much to think about!

Highest Regards and Compliments!
Captain D
The_Edge
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by The_Edge »

Captain D wrote:Hey guys! :D

So, I gather that everything is the same on a "pre-mod" and a "post-mod" Flightsuits Indy jacket other than the pocket placements?
The pocket flaps on the post-mod Expos were also given a more sculpted, scallop shape rather than just a flat angled point. Image

Keep us posted on your new jacket.
zohar
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by zohar »

Chamorro wrote:How dark do you want it? They DO have black, BTW.

Just talked to Travis at FS and their turn around time right now is 2 1/2 weeks out of the factory, custom. If you are a standard size that they have in stock, 24 hours with overnight shipping.
I don't know if this is a standard size, but I ordered a 48 Long, and it's going to be 2 weeks, according to salesman Cameron.
zohar
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by zohar »

And, I received it today. Fit is perfect, and the color is great to my eyes (dark brown). The collar kinda sticks out weird, but I'm sure it will settle with time. Pictures may be forthcoming, but I have to decide on whether or not to get a digital camera. You see, I just spent a bunch of money. ;)
Last edited by zohar on Tue Mar 25, 2003 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sergei
Admin Emeritus

Post by Sergei »

Congrats Zohar!!! My advice to you on the collar, is to sit on it for 2 or 3 days. Just wad up your jacket, and make sure the collar is somewhere on the top and just sit on it. It really relaxes the collar. Also, like Dave Marshall says, wad it up into a ball and throw the jacket in the corner of the room every evening.

-Sergei
Chamorro
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chamorro »

Congratulations! I will pick my second one up tomorrow. Welcome to the club. You won't regret it.
Sergei
Admin Emeritus

Post by Sergei »

Chamorro! You are picking it up at FS?

I did get my Historical Horsehide Russet color, Chrome Tanned A-2 last Friday. My 2nd FS jacket. It hasn't been off my back since Friday (except for showers). :-)

-S
zohar
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by zohar »

Sergei wrote:Congrats Zohar!!! My advice to you on the collar, is to sit on it for 2 or 3 days. Just wad up your jacket, and make sure the collar is somewhere on the top and just sit on it. It really relaxes the collar. Also, like Dave Marshall says, wad it up into a ball and throw the jacket in the corner of the room every evening.

-Sergei
Seriously sit on it/wad it up every night? I mean, the thing seems rugged, but is it this rugged?

Also, when do I need to treat this with Pecard's, and what version of Pecard's do I use? I got the Dark Brown Chrome Goat.

Thanks much.
Sergei
Admin Emeritus

Post by Sergei »

zohar wrote:
Sergei wrote:Congrats Zohar!!! My advice to you on the collar, is to sit on it for 2 or 3 days. Just wad up your jacket, and make sure the collar is somewhere on the top and just sit on it. It really relaxes the collar. Also, like Dave Marshall says, wad it up into a ball and throw the jacket in the corner of the room every evening.

-Sergei
Seriously sit on it/wad it up every night? I mean, the thing seems rugged, but is it this rugged?

Also, when do I need to treat this with Pecard's, and what version of Pecard's do I use? I got the Dark Brown Chrome Goat.

Thanks much.
Yes, my man you want to man-handle this thing. The worst thing you can do is hang the jacket on a hanger or back of a chair with the posts sticking up. This puts dimples in the shoulder. Just wad it up and throw it in the corner. Make sure no animal or critter can get to it.

As far as Pecards, the jacket doesn't really need it at this point. I would lightly condition it a few months down the road. I tend to use the original Pecards jell, since that is what I use for my whips. A thin coat goes a long way. The other choice is the Pecards lotion (motorcyle). It's water based and for goat you should get good results without the greasy feel and the added weight that the jell might add. But as Michaelson always says, once you use the original jell you are stuck with it. It basically blocks the effectivness of the water based lotion. It's your call.

Enjoy your jacket and have many, many happy adventures.

-Sergei
Indiana Joe
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Joe »

zohar wrote:The collar kinda sticks out weird, but I'm sure it will settle with time.
That bugged the dickens out of me! I would sit there and "roll" the collar back and forth with my two hands for 20 to 30 minutes a few times a week in order to break down that interfacing. A word of advice to those who have yet to order an Expo----order it without interfacing in the cargo pockets and the collar. It seems to take forever to break down! The Wested doesn't come with interfacing--at least the authentic goatskin did not and man, IMHO, it really helped the overall feel and drape of the jacket.

So, zohar, "break it down!"

By the way, yes, the goatskin will take anything you throw at it and then some. Lee even called his "bulletproof." We all know it's not but it gives you an idea as to the strength and durability of the FS goat hide. Enjoy, my friend!

I.J.
MK
Admin Emeritus

Post by MK »

Just a couple of comments from the peanut gallery:

I really love my new FS seal chrome goat. Why you ask? .....I am glad you inquired :wink: FS has really polished their product. They have listened to their customers (fanatics like us who obsess over photos), which has resulted in a fantastic jacket. It is a real quality jacket.

I have just received the jacket mentioned above and I am VERY pleased with it. I have been sitting on it most of the day in the office and in the car to break it in just right.

I am waiting for Peter to return my authentic lamb. It will be a very tough choice on which to wear when going out the door each day. 8)

I am a lucky man to have such a 8) :D 8)

P.S.
Your gonna like the way you look.
Chamorro
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chamorro »

Sergei wrote:Chamorro! You are picking it up at FS?

I did get my Historical Horsehide Russet color, Chrome Tanned A-2 last Friday. My 2nd FS jacket. It hasn't been off my back since Friday (except for showers). :-)

-S
Yup. Be there around 11 a.m. or so. Give me a call or drop by if you can. Maybe we could do lunch. Congrats on that A2. It really looked good on you. :D
zohar
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by zohar »

Thanks much, gentlemen.

Well, no digital camera for me, but I'm going to try taking some shots with the trusty Pentax K1000 this afternoon. Maybe I can have some pictures scanned and uploaded by this weekend.
Rundquist
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Rundquist »

One thing about the FS collar is that it has the most accurate "Raiders" cut of any jacket on the market. Study the collar and study the movie. It's my favorite feature of the flightsuits jacket. Cheers
Indiana Joe
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Joe »

Rundquist wrote:One thing about the FS collar is that it has the most accurate "Raiders" cut of any jacket on the market. Study the collar and study the movie. It's my favorite feature of the flightsuits jacket. Cheers
I completely agree, Rundquist. When I ordered the authentic goatskin Wested, I gave Peter the measurements right off the Expedition.

I.J.
Harry Steele
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Harry Steele »

Hey, Sergei.

How about some pics of that horsehide A-2?

Wear it in good health and on grand adventures!

Cheers,

Harry
Sergei
Admin Emeritus

Post by Sergei »

Harry Steele wrote:Hey, Sergei.

How about some pics of that horsehide A-2?

Wear it in good health and on grand adventures!

Cheers,

Harry
Yeah, I am working on it. I do need to post pictures of my new addition. Horse is something else.

I remember it was about a year ago, when _ was posting his first A-2, then G-1, then about 8 military jackets later... And I thought, shaking my head, please, please Lord do not let me land on that slippery slope. :-)

Hey Paul, what time is that 12 step meeting? I saw Paul today at FS, picking up his new Expo Goat. Unfortunately the 2nd jacket of Paul's, the Bridges over Toko-Ri, was enroute via UPS to his home.

Take Care....
-Sergei
Chamorro
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chamorro »

My name is Chamorro and I'm an Indyholic ... The saga is not over yet. I'm still in the process of tracking it down. :roll: