Alex's close enoughs bags

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

jacksdad
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Alex's close enoughs bags

Post by jacksdad »

Hi all,
remeber the post Alex had about his close enoughs, well he made me one and I can say it's really good. I have a smaller Todds bag and I like Alex's better.It only lacks the silver thingy,(I think that's the technical term here)and the small pocket on the side,which to me is irrelvent. he does a great job in stiching and I know it will last a long time. I use mine daily for work carring meds,pop and other junk and its very durable and roomy. give him a pm and ask about it. I don't think you'll be sorry. Plus what I really like about it, it's hand made, to me I think is what makes it unique, like getting an AB fedora you know it was made for you. Not that Todds are bad,they are really good too, I just like that it's one of our own that made it for me.
Last edited by jacksdad on Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alex
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Alex »

Wow.. Thank you very much Sean. I am glad you like it so much.

I have 9 of these sitting around that I did some trial and error on. The first 3 in the top row are the first attempts and they are going for 40 shipped.

The rest have dividers in them and are of the final design I have chosen. The ones with pockets are 65 shipped. There are 2 in the middle row that have different materials for the pockets but that shouldn't be a problem since you can't see that from the outside.

As you can see, I have moved the strap holder down as per Michaelson's request. They were higher up and made the lid bunch and open allowing your stuff to potentially fall out or elements to enter.

I have included a few shots of my bag so you can see how a strap will look on one. Here also is a shot of the inside of the bag with the dividers.

Treadwell
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Treadwell »

it took reading the thread to figure out "close enough WHAT?" ;)

BTW the pictures aren't loading for me..
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

I've had a chance to examine one of Alex's Mk bags he's created, and he does very nice work. He's made a few changes to the design to make it more function, so his final product will be VERY user friendly.

What's amazing to me is he's told me has never personally handled a real MkVII bag to date. He's done it all by observation.

VERY VERY nice work!

The bag will be on it's way back by Wednesday, by the way Alex. Thanks for letting me look it over!

Regards! Michaelson
JC1972
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by JC1972 »

the pics aren't loading.
Alex
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Alex »

They seem to be working now. I have them on geocities and they have some kind of hourly limit on viewing. If they keep going down pm me and I can email them to you.
Raider S
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Raider S »

The bags look very nice but I guess I have one question about all the repros; with all the originals out there, often for less $ than a repro, do people buy the repros because they can't find the originals? Or maybe they are made bigger?

Just wondering as I have two originals now and they seem fine. At least as fine as a bag of their size can be.
Wulfgang
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Wulfgang »

Raider S wrote:The bags look very nice but I guess I have one question about all the repros; with all the originals out there, often for less $ than a repro, do people buy the repros because they can't find the originals? Or maybe they are made bigger?

Just wondering as I have two originals now and they seem fine. At least as fine as a bag of their size can be.
I bought a repo because I honestly could not bring myself to modify a historical article (By replacing a strap). It's just me I am weird.
Wulfie
Alex
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Alex »

Well.....I started making these when I looked around at all the great Indys out there and noticed my bag was lacking at best. I didn't do much research when I just figured I would do like I do everything. Make my own. This is what it took to make a product I liked and thought was close enough to the original. Sadly, once I made these I have noticed you can still get an original for fairly cheap and a repo for even cheaper. I don't expect to sell many of these but this is what I have left from the trial and error period of making the final great 6 bags I do have. If you want a well made and hand made bag for that matter I can provide that.

If you need one smaller for a child or larger for a taller adult, I am your man. These can be made any size with nearly any type of divider necessary. This is the only department I can excel in. :lol:
d_jedi1
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by d_jedi1 »

:D Those are great looking bags. I hadn't thought about splitting the rear pocket in the way you do (although it's probably more accurate than what I did on mine).
Like I said they look awesome.
BTW where do you get your O rings?
I have had trouble finding decent ones and yours look great.
Alex
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Alex »

I found the rings at Kmart in the curtain section. They were packaged as rings with some open hooks and clips on the ends of them. I simply opened the hook up wider and removed the ring. I also found the same design at the home depot in the curtain hardware section.