Anyone still buying lambskin jackets?

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Raider S
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Anyone still buying lambskin jackets?

Post by Raider S »

Seems like lambskin jackets aren't too popular. I love the (non-Indy) lamb jackets I've owned and wonder how many out there are still getting lamb and are happy with it.

For my next Indy I'm thinking I'll go that way as it ages so nicely. Are people afraid of it becaue they think it won't last or it rips easily?
mooniteman
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by mooniteman »

I love Lamb - it's really tough and no it really doesn't rip that easily - you'd have to endure a stab wound to get a cut into a lamb jacket.

I love Lamb and it just looks the best...

just me opinion.

Moony
nicktheguy
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by nicktheguy »

Lamb is great - and its perfect for warmer and summer weather.
Kentucky Blues
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kentucky Blues »

I think the durability depends on how you use it. The only jacket I've ever gotten a rip in was my lambskin jacket... and I seem to remember Michaelson once saying he ripped a lambskin jacket when his seatbelt rubbed against it while buckling it.

-KB :)
mooniteman
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by mooniteman »

I seem to remember Michaelson once saying he ripped a lambskin jacket when his seatbelt rubbed against it while buckling it.

:shock: - was his seat belt also a chainsaw....?

Thats like - "The treads on my tank fell off when I ran over that ladybug"
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Castor Dioscuri »

All of my Wested Indy jackets (with the exception of my Novapelle) are lambskin, and I would have it no other way! They drape just as flatteringly as what you'd see in the original trilogy, and while they certainly are not bullet proof, it would take a bit of wear and tear to ruin one.

Of course, a sharp object or a serrated object (like a seatbelt perhaps? ;) ) sawing on a lambskin jacket would no doubt hasten the process, but the same could be said for most other hides as well. These aren't metal suits of armor we're talking about, after all!

If I do plan on getting another Indy jacket in the future (which unfortunately does not like much of a prospect, considering I now have enough jackets to last me several lifetimes), I would give lambskin some serious consideration.
jacksdad
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by jacksdad »

I have a lamb suit jacket and it drapes very nice,but I do feel it could tear more easily than goat or horse hide, but I do like my wested goat,but next summer Imight consider the lamb for a jacket to wear on the cooler summer nights.From what I read it seems like the most loigical choise for a summer leather jacket.
PSBIndy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by PSBIndy »

The great thing about my Wested washed goat is that it's about as thin as my lambskin, feels just as soft, drapes just as well, but is TOUGHER.......and cheaper!
Raider S
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Raider S »

If I wanted goat I'd buy goat. Oh wait...I did. And cowhide.

Yes, I think I'll get lamb next. I think it's my favorite leather because of the way it looks; the lines and creases are great.
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

I've never really considered lamb because I've always heard that it is about the least durable of the leathers. I got to thinking, however, and realized that I was being silly. My jackets should only see normal wear and use and lamb would work just fine for that (it is leather) and it does age beautifully so there will probably be a lamb jacket in my future.
Raider S
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Raider S »

Good reply crismans. I think lamb gets a bad rap on this board at times. I recently pulled out an old lamb bomber jacket my dad had given me when I first started college which I wore for years never even dreaming of treating the leather in any way. Even though it's a bit too small now (was a bit small when I got it) it's special to me as my dad has passed on. So I gave it a coat of Pecards and after all the abuse it had taken it looks beautiful. The lining is torn and worn but the leather simply got better looking.

And if one cares about SA, well lamb is the way to go.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

mooniteman wrote:
I seem to remember Michaelson once saying he ripped a lambskin jacket when his seatbelt rubbed against it while buckling it.

:shock: - was his seat belt also a chainsaw....?

Thats like - "The treads on my tank fell off when I ran over that ladybug"
Nope. Any nylon will either abrade or slice the softer lambskin. Seatbelts are made of heavy nylon.

I've never had that happen to any other leather I've owned to date. Only lambskin, so keep that in mind when you buckle up.

Regards! Michaelson
Earl Weber
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Earl Weber »

I tore a lambskin jacket on a doorknob. It wasn't the greatest (Wilson Leather, don't EVER buy them) but it wasn't that bad. No lamb for me.
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

durability depends on the kind of lamb hide you have on your jacket. castor can confirm that prewashed veg tanned lamb is quite durable....it's like the 'horsehide' of lambskins.

wested's lamb, todd's lamb (standard and custom) can't shine a light to the PWVT wested lamb....i haven't seen many lambs that could.
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

Most of the leather jackets I've owned have been lambskin, and certainly the ones that have lasted. But it's all about what you expect to put it through. If you want something that's just this side of armor, lambskin is the wrong choice.

I like wearing lambskin leather the most, mainly because it's light and relatively cool, and looks great. I do have a weak spot for higher quality predistressed cowhide, though... like the Nowak leather.
nicktheguy
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by nicktheguy »

Lamb is a dressier leather I would have to say. I have my horsehide and a cowhide for durability.
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

I LUB my lambskin and I will be an inconsolable wreck if ever I tear it.

For day to day use it is the most versatile and looks just great. Everyone should have one!
nicktheguy
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by nicktheguy »

agreed
Rundquist
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Rundquist »

I’ve cycled through many Indiana Jones jackets over the years, some of which were lambskin. At this stage I haven’t really been compelled to replace or own a lambskin jacket. My last few goatskin jackets were so light and elegant that I just never felt the need to. The other thing about lambskin (besides lack of durability), is that once they break in, they’re sort of limp. People talk about drape, but I just see a limp, dead looking jacket. It certainly feels that way wearing them. A new lambskin jacket on the other hand does feel good to wear. Just my 2 cents.
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Rundquist wrote:I’ve cycled through many Indiana Jones jackets over the years, some of which were lambskin. At this stage I haven’t really been compelled to replace or own a lambskin jacket. My last few goatskin jackets were so light and elegant that I just never felt the need to. The other thing about lambskin (besides lack of durability), is that once they break in, they’re sort of limp. People talk about drape, but I just see a limp, dead looking jacket. It certainly feels that way wearing them. A new lambskin jacket on the other hand does feel good to wear. Just my 2 cents.
You know what? That's totally right! Worn lamb does tend to go all floppy and limp and dead - unlike the film jacket (which was obviously new and made to look old). And goat is so soft and light and drapes so well - why bother with lamb?
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

CM wrote:
Rundquist wrote:I’ve cycled through many Indiana Jones jackets over the years, some of which were lambskin. At this stage I haven’t really been compelled to replace or own a lambskin jacket. My last few goatskin jackets were so light and elegant that I just never felt the need to. The other thing about lambskin (besides lack of durability), is that once they break in, they’re sort of limp. People talk about drape, but I just see a limp, dead looking jacket. It certainly feels that way wearing them. A new lambskin jacket on the other hand does feel good to wear. Just my 2 cents.
You know what? That's totally right! Worn lamb does tend to go all floppy and limp and dead - unlike the film jacket (which was obviously new and made to look old). And goat is so soft and light and drapes so well - why bother with lamb?
Here are some pics of my lambskin jackets. These have been featured before in other threads but I think they have a place here.
This is my Coyle's jacket, new as of April of this year. Showing a little character after some weather and wear.

[/img]Image
This Wested Lamb is over 10 years old. It is actually old, not a new jacket pretending to be old. I'm not too sure it looks "dead", but that's up to you.

Same jacket zipped up.

This pic was taken after it's first treatment with conditioner in 10 years.Image[/img]

Now, I would consider both of these jackets, particularly the Wested to be broken in, but they look pretty lively to me. But I will leave that to others to decide. I also have goat and cowhide Indy jackets so I know how tough they are, believe me they have been tested! But my favorite and any future jackets for me will be lambskin. Why bother with it? I guess that it's because that is what the film jackets were made of and no matter how good the pattern, a lambskin jacket just carries off the Indy look like no other material.

I think, and I may be wrong, but knowing that lambskin is what the jackets of the first 3 films were made of, and seeing how it looks on the screen, an Indy fan will probably want one, or at least be irresitably curious no matter how many goat, horse, or cowhide jackets he or she obtains. It is worthy.

Weston
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

I have seen this before.....that jacket is the best example of an old Indy jacket ever posted in this forum...

the aging of that jacket makes me never ever go for fake distressing again,not water even.....never!

is it a standard? 80's fit? does it have the facings?

so did you just wear it to get it look that good?

how about the stitching? held up?

bests
Holt
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

Thanks Holt!

It is a standard fit, I don't think Peter even offered 80's fit back then. No leather facings. The stitching has held up very well except at the bottom of the handwarmer slits, car keys eventually sawed their way through. That has been repaired. For distressing, all I did was wear it.

Weston
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

well I hope that my Raiders goat will age that beautifully after many years of wear...because thats really a good looking jacket

bests
Holt
JC1972
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by JC1972 »

I have a lamb G&B and I love it! Especially being here in FL :D
Doh
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Doh »

My Wested lamb is about 3 years old, and I still love it. In L.A.'s climate, it's the perfect weight for a fall jacket.

I'd easily get lamb again.
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Looking good, Weston. Certainly not dead.
CairoIndy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by CairoIndy »

Great jackets Weston! 8) ,is that Todd's jacket standard or custom?,it looks amazing! :D
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

That Wested has fantastic pockets.

Would you mind sharing the jacket size and pocket dimensions please.

We tend to ask for smaller and smaller pockets, the proportion height to width is also very important.
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

The Coyle's jacket is a standard. I don't think I could ask for a better fit even if I did get a custom.

The Wested is a 40R, and the pockets measure 7 3/4" tall by 6 3/4" wide.

Weston
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Weston wrote:
The Wested is a 40R, and the pockets measure 7 3/4" tall by 6 3/4" wide.

Weston
Thank you, sounds good to me.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

I have my favorites, and have advised left and right on topics like this for years.

But........when all is said and done, if you're just looking for sheer comfort and the satisfaction of ownership, a perfectly made lambskin jackets is as good as it gets. No discussion about it's weakness or ability to last or not.....but it's as good as it gets in comfort.

My very first purchased Indy jacket was a Wested lambskin original back in the mid 90's. I've handled a LOT of jackets since then, but my mind goes back to that day I opened that package and pulled that jacket on for the very first time. I was in a very happy place.

One of my saddest days is when I discovered I had enjoyed one to many good meals by my wife, and the jacket no longer fits. It's now being enjoyed by a member out West after I donated it quietly to a new member.....but I still miss that jacket.

Yep, toss all the requirements we have aside for a minute. If you want a jacket for 'urban' archaeology, you have to own (or have owned) at least ONE lambskin jacket, and preferabily a custom Wested. I emphasis 'custom' too! Treat it on occasion, and take care of it like you would a nice dress jacket, and you'll have it for years and years.....provided YOU don't have a spouse or significant 'other' who's a great cook! :roll: :wink:

Regards! Michaelson
nicktheguy
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by nicktheguy »

Well said!
Piers
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Piers »

my oldest leather (non-indy) jacket is lamb, and it has several rips, the biggest being a couple inches thanks to brushing by a metal street sign.. it wore through the shoulders in several places thanks to a laptop bag shoulder strap.. it has years of winterwear ingrained, and I bet it would look 1000% different if I gave it a good clean (and the best product for that would beeee?)

I'm not gentle with my things, and I look forward to being myself with my usw cow, as well as someday soon getting a wested goat, and getting a good natural wear on them..
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Piers wrote:it has years of winterwear ingrained, and I bet it would look 1000% different if I gave it a good clean (and the best product for that would beeee?)
Hummmm. Nothing comes immediately to mind... :-k 8-[

Regards! Michaelson
Piers
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Piers »

haha.. no need, I know where to look :lol:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

:wink:
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

I originally owned a Wested lamb, purchased about 8 years ago, but it was stolen. After that incident, I began a new round of collecting, and recently purchased a new Wested custom lamb. As many of you have said, the lamb is a special type of leather, "luxurious", and most likely should be treated accordingly.

To add a point from another angle, I decided to buy another Wested lamb, not only because Peter was the original maker, but as the original designers and craftsmen are aging, etc., felt as though I should collect it, while it was still possible, certainly with ALL due respect to those involved.
Rundquist
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Rundquist »

Well you guys almost sold me, but not quite. :wink: If I had never owned a lambskin jacket I certainly would be inclined to get one. I do think that everyone should try it. It just leaves something to be desired with me is all. Cheers
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Well, check out one at G&B, Adam. They're nice too! :wink:

Regards! Michaelson
scot2525
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by scot2525 »

I can say without a doubt I will replace my Wested lamb, that is too small for me, with another lambskin jacket. I haven't decided if I will purchase another Wested lamb or Todd's lamb jacket but another will definitely be purchased. The lamb is just so soft, smooth, it drapes perfectly, and the smell is out of this world that I must have one that fits correctly.
Last edited by scot2525 on Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rundquist
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Rundquist »

Michaelson wrote:Well, check out one at G&B, Adam. They're nice too! :wink:

Regards! Michaelson
I've had two G&B lambskin as well as two lambskin Westeds. They just don't do it for me. For whatever reason I feel like I'm getting less jacket for the money. Cheers
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Understood!

Regards! Michaelson
Raider S
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Raider S »

Rundquist wrote: For whatever reason I feel like I'm getting less jacket for the money. Cheers
Plus the lamb usually costs a little more, too.
Bogie1943
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Bogie1943 »

I own several lambskin Indy jackets. Heck I bought two just last fall... oh my wallet hates me lol. I picked up a Todds and a Wested crunch Lamb. From what I have seen, lamb thickness can vary a bit. I am not all afraid of buying it for that issue. It's light however it does have a good amount of toughness to it. It's nothing like goat or horsehide I must say. Goat is my favorite hide next to horsehide. My next Indy jacket must be a horsehide lol. I can hear my wallet screaming already!
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

As you know, I'm a proponent of being drug by a truck as a screen accurate, quality control method! Let's test these jackets and see which one of them holds up best....you go first....and don't forget to post some pics before and after!

Disclaimer.....PLEASE do not try this at home!
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

One sharp rock in the road and you'll wish your jacket came with cast iron skid plates!

Weston
RobocopIndy
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by RobocopIndy »

As far as leather jackets being heavy or light, I can say that my 2 leather jackets from Harley-Davidson are much heavier than the new G&B goat that I just received today. I couldn't imagine how much lighter a lamb would be than the goat ...?
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

....that's what we call a back scratcher!
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Texan Scott wrote:As you know, I'm a proponent of being drug by a truck as a screen accurate, quality control method! Let's test these jackets and see which one of them holds up best....you go first....and don't forget to post some pics before and after!

Disclaimer.....PLEASE do not try this at home!
I won't! :shock:

I wouldn't try it at YOUR house EITHER!!! :lol:

Regard! Michaelson