Best Place to get Raw Fur Felt Bodies

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

rbinko2001
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Best Place to get Raw Fur Felt Bodies

Post by rbinko2001 »

I recently got the itch to try and make my own hat. I found a few websites that offer 100% rabbit fur felt hat bodies, but I can't seem to find any place that sells 100% beaver. Does anyone know where are some good places to get some raw hat bodies, in both rabbit and beaver? Also, when ordering a body, I would get a capeline as opposed to a hood if I want to make an Indy fedora, correct? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
rbinko2001
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by rbinko2001 »

Is knowing where to buy raw fur felt hat bodies some top secret information, or does nobody honestly know? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by rbinko2001 on Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
jacksdad
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by jacksdad »

I've asked the same question, I was told by bendingoak, to make one out of rabbit first to get your feet wet. he said beaver is very expensive and not worth screwing up on your first time. I'm going to buy a rabbit felt from hatsdirect try it out then if it works out I'll pursue the beaver like you.Try to googel beaver felt and see, I found a few names but did not call them.I'm sure they are out there somewhere.
rbinko2001
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by rbinko2001 »

Thank you for the reply. I appreciate it.
Kentucky Blues
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kentucky Blues »

Jacksdad, are you buying a felt body from hats direct, or are you buying a hat that you're going to use for practice?

-KB :)
airforceindy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by airforceindy »

Hmmm, best place to get a hat body...

Go where the 'pros' go. Winchester Hat Corp, (931)967-0687. Ask for Greg. This is the same fellow who supplies Steve Delk (AB) and Art Fawcett (Vintage Silhouettes). Pure beaver bodies were going for $55.50, and rabbits for $28.25, when I checked with them earlier this spring.

Regards, Andy
rbinko2001
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by rbinko2001 »

Airforceindy,
Thank you very much for the information. It was most helpful.
jacksdad
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by jacksdad »

I was going to buy a raw body rabbit to make my own fedora, more as a practice run before I bought a beaver one, but now that I see the number and who to contact I might just go ahead and buy a beaver and just go for it
rbinko2001
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by rbinko2001 »

By the way, that number is their fax #. Their phone # is: 931-967-0686.
jacksdad
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by jacksdad »

do they sell sweat bands and everything you need to make a fedora or just the raw bodies? I know hatsupply.com has an order minium of 28.00 dollars,so I would have to buy more of what I don't need to get a sweat band there.
rbinko2001
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by rbinko2001 »

I haven't called them yet so I don't know exactly. Im hoping you can order a single raw body and not have to buy them in bulk because all I really want right now is one.
JerseyJones
Vendor

Post by JerseyJones »

airforceindy wrote:Hmmm, best place to get a hat body...

Go where the 'pros' go. Winchester Hat Corp, (931)967-0687. Ask for Greg. This is the same fellow who supplies Steve Delk (AB) and Art Fawcett (Vintage Silhouettes). Pure beaver bodies were going for $55.50, and rabbits for $28.25, when I checked with them earlier this spring.

Regards, Andy
Listen to this man ! I use Winchester beaver/rabbit blend bodies for the Camptown Hats I do. They are great !

Thanks
Ken
Dalexs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Dalexs »

I knwo they make great bodies, but I was also under the impression that he had minimum orders as well.

If that winds up being the case, anyone want ot go in on an order of bodies?
rbinko2001
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by rbinko2001 »

I just talked with Ruth at Winchester, she was very nice by the way, and she said that there is no minimum # of bodies to order. She said the dark colored 100% beaver was $55.50 and the pastel colored 100% beavers were $56.75. She said that if they have the color you are looking for in stock, they will ship right away, if they have to order it, then it will be up to 4 weeks or so. Also, they don't sell sweatbands. Hope this helps some.
airforceindy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by airforceindy »

Good spot to look for sweatbands is www.jwhats.com. I discovered him on the Fedora Lounge, and have spoken with Jim on numerous occasions. He also carries liners, and hatband. He'll be more than willing to help out aspiring hatmakers, particularly when you drop Club Obi Wan or Fedora Lounge. Check him out.

Regards, Andy
jacksdad
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by jacksdad »

well finshed my block today, I'm going to have my wife post pictures before I seal it to get any imput from you guys to make sure I don't need or do need to take anymore off. I'm going to order my rawbody and sweatband monday providing I get the block completely done by sunday.If I don't need to do anymore sanding I'm going to get a little wood filler,fill in any open spots and then 4 coats of polyurathane acording to the tread on making blocks. Hope fully I'll have the pictures up by Sat morning I really need the input to see if it's ok. thanks in advance.