the 10 foot Indy bullwhip: what can it do?

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

JMObi
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

the 10 foot Indy bullwhip: what can it do?

Post by JMObi »

I'm interested to know if a 10 foot Indy bullwhip can be cracked using the Australian style of multiple cracking...or is this asking too much of this type of whip?

I realise that this type of whip would be far from ideal for multiple cracking, and that a shorter stockwhip or long handled bullwhip would be better, but wanted to ask if this sort of cracking is impossible on a 10' Indy whip.

The Hassett 4 cnr crack and the arrowhead combination that Paul Nolan recently showed is a great looking crack. I'd love to be able to do it on my 10' bullwhip, maybe not as well as he can do it, but I'd like to try :)
hollywood1340
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by hollywood1340 »

It's not the whip, it's the person using it. But there are other whips IMO better suited for this type of work. My advice is check the 455 section of DM's "Whips and Whipmaking' He describes what the Indy whip is best suited for.
JMObi
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by JMObi »

I'll do that hollywood, thank you for the tip. I didn't know there was such information there.

I have chosen the 10' as the only whip I'm going to learn on from here on in. Ok, I concede I might change my mind later on :lol:

Here on COW most people seem to like the 8 foot or 6 foot length for their all purpose whip, or use multiple lengths, but I find it interesting to base one's exploration of whip cracking on the 10 footer, and accepting the strengths and the limitations. If it really is next to impossible to do the Hassett 4 cnr etc on this type of whip I'll gladly give up the quest to learn it. I was just wondering if other whipcrackers out there have tried to do the next to impossible on a 10' Indy, without hurting their arms or their whips.

I really like the 10 footer... so I try to do all the cracks on it that are possible.
Last edited by JMObi on Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
midwestwhips
Vendor

Post by midwestwhips »

Hi JMObi,

I don't think you'll have much luck getting a Hassett's 4 corners out of a 10 foot Morgan whip. Mainly due to the length and weight of the whip, the handle being so short, and how difficult it would be to maintain the whip being constantly/consistently in the air above your head at all times. Also, it is a VERY VERY difficult routine to do even with the best suited whip. I'm not saying that it isn't possible, but it is pretty unlikely. That being said, I've never tried it with a 10 foot Indywhip(once with an 8ft Morgan), perhaps I will give it a try with my very heavy 10 foot Morgan, and I'll let you know how it goes.

Regarding the Arrowhead routine, I don't think it would be too difficult to do it with a 10 foot Morgan. A big part of that is the fact that you don't have to constantly keep the whip in the air above your head the whole time, and with the volley you have the added benefit of using the recoil from the expelled energy of each crack to start the whip moving into the next crack. I have done a volley and Arrowhead with a 14 foot peter jack zenith bullwhip once before, although the handle is about 12 inches long and the zenith whips also have a very springy and long transition. I will have to try it with the Morgan 10 footer as well.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Regards,

Paul Nolan
www.midwestwhips.com
JMObi
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by JMObi »

Thank you Paul! I think you have convinced me that it's probably best for me not to expect the Hassett's crack to be possible on my whip. I'll have to get used to the fact that my favorite whip can't do everything I'd like it to be able to do :D

I didn't realise, until you told me, that this is such a difficult crack. Please be careful, and don't injure yourself. Don't attempt to learn this crack on a difficult whip. I was myself planning to try to learn this crack very, very carefully and slowly, and stop at the first sign of any strain to my arm or shoulder or anything, but I think now I won't try to learn it. It sounds too risky. I will however attempt to learn the arrowhead. Again, thanks.

I think maybe the 10 footer Indy whip could handle the following: cattleman's, snakekiller, all the flicks (including the famous X), overhead, volley, arrowhead, and variations on these.
Bardoon
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Bardoon »

From my short experience, any tricks that keep the whip close to the ground will be more difficult to perform. Keeping the whip in the air is very important to a lot of the cracks. Of course there's also the fact you have longer "hangtime" as the whip moves through the air.

If you're a tall dude, some 10 ft. whip cracks might be easier! :D
Shagbd
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Shagbd »

JMObi wrote: I'll have to get used to the fact that my favorite whip can't do everything I'd like it to be able to do :D

you dont have to get used to it! just get a variety of whips!
:-)
winrichwhips
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by winrichwhips »

This post made me curious, so I got out a 10 ft Morgan and tried the 4 corners and the arrowhead. The arrowhead basically worked and I could get all the cracks, but it didn't look as clean as when done with a stockwhip.

The 4 corners was pretty much impossible, though my 2005 Morgan is really limber and that didn't help. I think the 4 corners could be done with an 8 ft Morgan, however.

I have been meaning to make a video of moves that can be done with a 10 ft Indy whip. Maybe I'll get to it next week.

-Adam
JMObi
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by JMObi »

Thanks for your input on this Adam. I'll be really interested to see your video on the 10 foot Indy whip.

Shagbd :D I wish I could afford different lengths. I limit myself to just one type, but I might change my mind. I'm also a musician, and tend to spend available money on instrument upgrades etc.

Bardoon, I agree, I find the 10' seems about right for me, though I'm not especially tall.
Last edited by JMObi on Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shagbd
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Shagbd »

well thats possibly where NYLON comes in handy
you can buy a cheap whip in different sizes and figure out what you like the best, and then order one in Roo..
hollywood1340
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by hollywood1340 »

Which may very well behave differently from NYLON depending on maker and length. But a good point nonetheless.
Shagbd
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Shagbd »

hollywood1340 wrote:Which may very well behave differently from NYLON depending on maker and length. But a good point nonetheless.

thats a VERY good point as well.
Last edited by Shagbd on Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jason10mm
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by jason10mm »

Is nylon really considered more "limp" than leather? Perhaps my rjallen 8" nylon is still new, but it seems MUCH more stiff than the leather whips I'm seeing in videos, particularly the first 3 feet or so.

I'm attempting some of the more complicated cracks and find that I'm just getting wrapped up in the whip. Perhaps it is my inexperience (more than likely) but I do think whip length can greatly complicate some of these cracks for the beginner.

I'm already considering a 6" nylon just to see if there is a big difference in handling, but I'll probably try leather first to get a better grasp on the leather/nylon difference, which most folk here seem to consider more significant than whip length.
JMObi
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by JMObi »

I don't know anything about nylon whips, but I'm getting more interested in them. Good for wet weather.

What cracks can a 10' foot Indy bullwhip accomplish well? I had my 10' whip out yesterday and attempted the arrowhead...I'm starting to make some progress with it.
winrichwhips
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by winrichwhips »

Whether or not a nylon whip is 'limp' really depends on how tightly the whip maker braided the whip. I've seen loose nylon whips and really tight, stiff nylon whips.

-Adam
PyramidBlaster
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: "Tampa, Florida--Or, how I learned to stop worrying, and love the Bomb..."

Post by PyramidBlaster »

If it makes you feel any better, I taught myself with a 12' leather whip when I was in my teens---and now I tend to favor Nylon bullwhips. Practically all I do are multiples like the 'australian cross' and 'cairo flash' with longer whips---I like 8' and 10' models....Any shorter, and I feel cheated somehow....
JMObi
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by JMObi »

I'm in the same boat - the 10 foot is great for me. Is there a video where you can get a good demonstration of the Australian cross? I'm not sure what that one is.
PyramidBlaster
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: "Tampa, Florida--Or, how I learned to stop worrying, and love the Bomb..."

Post by PyramidBlaster »

It resembles a cross...Here's an old video of me with some of my whips---I do the Aussie cross quite often, but it's not presented very neatly here...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 0415096422

HF does a good cross in this outtake of the 'Cairo Swordsman' scene...

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/raide ... 3139147910

I'm sure there are better examples, but hey...These were handy....!
JMObi
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by JMObi »

Many thanks PyramidBlaster! I watched both videos and your's especially was very helpful to me - seeing you do the crossover with the 10' bullwhip. I will go and practice this myself. I liked your quickdraw crack too.
PyramidBlaster
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by PyramidBlaster »

Thank you--You're too kind. I was VERY rusty and sick-as-a-dog at the time...

As for the quick draw, that came about from me wanting to know if the maneuver was even possible as shown at the beginning of RotLA...At least it's portrayed as being done, as it's obvious that it's filmed as about 3-4 shots. It is indeed possible, and with a little practice, accuracy can be had...

Eventually I'll post newer, better video.... :D
TurnerME
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by TurnerME »

Very nice video!
winrichwhips
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by winrichwhips »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZjVNG7Ze-M

Here's a video of some of the stuff I can do with a 10 ft bullwhip.

-Adam