New Gus Caicedo Whip

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

New Gus Caicedo Whip

Post by DR Ulloa »

My fiance surprised me today with a new Caicedo for my birthday. My birthday is not until the 18th but arrived today and she didn't have time to intercept it. It is an 8ft 12 plait. She really is beautiful. It handles and sounds amazing. I am barely a novice and I was able to crack it a few times. It definately did not feel like a "wet noodle" as was said in a thread some time ago. This is a great whip and a great birthday present. Thanks Gus!

Dave

p.s. I know, I know, This Thread is Pointless Without Pics. I will post photos when I get back home.
Boggstandard
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Boggstandard »

DR. Uolla said: "She is really beautiful."

You have made it clear that your fiance is beautiful.
Now, how about the whip? What does it look like?
serrecuir
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by serrecuir »

Dave,

You better have a wedding date set, and a very looooong honeymoon planned!! You have a great girl there! ...and a great whip!!

BTW, what she's really telling you is that she wants something shiny! :roll:

-Craig
scot2525
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by scot2525 »

Yes please get some pics up, I am patiently awaiting my Gus 8' 12 plait with the extra belly Raiders whip. I would love to some more pics to tide me over until it arrives. Gus initialy told me the first week of Aug.
TurnerME
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by TurnerME »

Boggstandard wrote:DR. Uolla said: "She is really beautiful."

You have made it clear that your fiance is beautiful.
Now, how about the whip? What does it look like?
LOL! :lol:
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

As promised here is a quick photo of the whip:

I had very little idea of what I was doing but did get a few good cracks off. It handles spectacularly.

Boggstandard, though my fiance is beautiful in just about every sense of the word, I was, in truth, referring to the whip.

serrecuir, we do have a weddig date set for September 12th, 2009. Having the church and hotel reserved and paid for already, the honeymoon is the only thing left to tackle, though we have already decided to head on over to Egypt. She got shiny engagemtent ring back in December of last year, but I guess it is time to get her a new shiny something.

Dave
Boggstandard
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Boggstandard »

What more could a man want, or need, than a beautiful wife and a beautiful whip?

Congratulations on both counts.

Cheers
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

Thanks Boggstandard.

Dave
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

I am definately getting better with this thing. Any pointers on how to keep it in good shape after cracking for a while?

Dave
Boggstandard
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Boggstandard »

This is my approach:

After each use, wipe off or lightly brush off any dirt/dust/debris. Check for loose/broken strands.

Keep the fall well conditioned (Pecards). Occasionally condition the thong to avoid drying-out. Apply the pecards lightly in a straight line without twisting the strands of the thong. Avoid conditioning the turks-head knot (oil from your hands should be sufficient) because sometimes the knot will become loose due to torquing/twisting/over lubrication.

For truly dirty/muddy/grimy whips you might need to wash them with a light application of saddle soap and then dry completely by hanging straight.
Tennessee R
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Tennessee R »

Looks good. I am anxiously waiting on a Caicedo 10' 8 plait.
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

You won't be dissapointed Tennessee.

I put something called Bickmore Leather Conditioner which I purchased at a local store that sells a ton of ranching goods like whips (though nothing great), hats, boots, etc...on the whip and it feels quite nice now. It darkened up the leather a little bit, maybe a shade darker, but it looks awsome. I guess this is similar to Pecards? How often should I be conditioning the whip? Thanks guys.

Dave