Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

JedimasterPaul
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Newbie here - about to order 1st jacket! G&B

Post by JedimasterPaul »

Hello -

just want to start off thankingall the posters here who have been very helpful in informing my jacket purchase.

I wasn't even shopping for a jacket; I was on the US Wings website looking for a pair of aviator sunglasses when I saw the ad for their 'Indy' jacket. I had to have one.

Anyway, after doing a lot of reading, researching, etc - I am 95% decided I am going with the Gibson & Barnes Expedition, primarily because I am buying off the rack and think I will have a better chance of getting a decent fit.

I went to a few stores this afternoon trying on jackets. Most of the leather jackets I tried on in stores were mediums. I tried on the large as well and these fit OK as well. (I think I am on the verge between medium and large). After that, I tried on sportscoats - 40 was OK but tight when I tried to move, 42 was OK, 44 was too big.

Thus, I think I'll go with the 42. Once I call these guys and check on their exchange policy (in case I do not like the fit), I am ready to seal the deal!

I'm leaning towards goatskin, but am willing to entertain some arguments in favor of lambskin. This is the fun part.

I am not really interested in having a jacket that looks like it came off of Indiana Jones right out of the box - I prefer to 'distress' the jacket over time through normal wear and tear.

Thanks!
Rundquist
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Rundquist »

You chose wisely. :wink:
Ken
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Ken »

G+B is a good choice - you'll have a jacket that will last you a life time. If you've any doubts as to size I am sure they can advise you if you give them your measurements

Ken
JedimasterPaul
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by JedimasterPaul »

yeah, I think what I'm going to do is print out that measurement sheet, and go get a tailor to measure me and fill it out. I'll get whichever off-the-rack jacket they say is the best fit.
indydiver
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Post by indydiver »

i believe that the G&B is fairly true to size. i am an off the rack 44R and was very pleased with my G&B when i received it.

like you, i researched the many valuable posts here at COW before chosing the G&B and found them to be very professional. i received the jacket before the promised delivery and with no quality issues. i have no other experience with other indy jacket manufacturers to compare but i can speak highly of my G&B experience. many thanks to the COW community.

i got the lamb. being my first leather jacket and buying it sight unseen, i was suprised by its weight ... nothing like the common leather jackets you find at local stores. althought light, it is sturdily built and, given the feedback from other G&B owners, i am sure it will last me a long time.

best of luck with your choice!
Baldwyn
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Baldwyn »

Hrm, I think G&B is a little large for size. I wear a 40, and after buying a 40R G&B, went to a 38R G&B. But they exchanged it, no problem!
JedimasterPaul
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by JedimasterPaul »

well, i tried to get measured twice this afternoon, and neither drycleaners (who do 'expert' alterations) would take the measurements, and I was willing to pay.

I guess tomorrow I will just try the cleaner/tailor on the base where I work.

any other suggestions on places to get measured?

I'd ask my wife to do it, but if she gets too involved in the process she is invariably going to want to see the price, and I'd rather not go there...
Cowboy
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Cowboy »

Great choice my boy....great choice. :tup:
Zombie Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Zombie Jones »

JedimasterPaul wrote:any other suggestions on places to get measured?
If you have a Men's Wearhouse near you, they'll measure you without charge and do a good job of it.
JedimasterPaul
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by JedimasterPaul »

OK - I finally got the whole measurement thing sorted out, and got my order in tonight via the secure order form. I went with the 42R - the closest fit according to their chart.

So, when ordering one of their standard size jackets, how long does it usually take to arrive? Are they made to order? or do they keep some ready-made stock on hand?

thanks
BlueSkyz
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by BlueSkyz »

From the sounds of it they are about 3 weeks on an order.........Image
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

Was that necessary BluSkyz? Anticipation is a bear as it is without that kinda stuff man! :lol:

Looks great!
BlueSkyz
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by BlueSkyz »

Sorry,its a sickness..............................its the best jacket I've owned,quality is impecable.Image
Bowie
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Bowie »

Blueskyz, Is that the standard dark brown?? It looks sharp man!!
BlueSkyz
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by BlueSkyz »

Dark vintage nappa,mooo,very soft and it has all ready started to show signs of breaking in and the vintage is starting to show.I'm afraid G&B does not want to make the Expedition in this leather,they made it for me as a favor. It is a wonderful leather and should be available to all. I would have to say heavier and stronger than goat,softer too. I don't know if I'm brave enough to put it in the washer.
Pictures are of a 3 year old Raiders [vintage nappa] vs a brand new Expedition [DARK vintage nappa] it is not as heavy but still pretty sweet. Image
bobjones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by bobjones »

FS sent me a sample of dark seal cowhide, which is the hide I beleive Blue's jacket was made of.

I have carefully tested it against the goat, and I might have to disagree a bit here, Blue.

The goat withstands scuffing better, when stretched returns to its original form better, and is slightly lighter in weight. Both are very lightweight, coming extremely close to each other. That being said, the two hides are identical in tone and shade of brown, though one difference is that the cow does not have the shininess of the goat.
BlueSkyz
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by BlueSkyz »

It's made from their dark vintage nappa cowhide,different from their dark seal cowhide,I'm assuming,in the finish of the leather. I have to say that,while it is NOT goat,it is strong supple leather. It is all ready showing signs of the finish doing exactly what G&B say it will do, rapidly naturally aging and it looks like I've had the jacket for a couple of years. I can't wait for the fall so I can wear it every day and see how it ages then.
I would petition G&B to make this leather an option for the Expedition.
bobjones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by bobjones »

Hi Blue, glad you weighed in here.

That's interesting, I didn't realize that the nappa is different than their cowhide. It is unfortunate that they don't offer these as options on the Expo...
JedimasterPaul
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by JedimasterPaul »

Got my jacket today!!

The fit is perfect - plent of room in the shoulders - I like the way it feels / looks.

they only thing I have to get uised to is the zipper pull is on the opposite side from most of my other zipper jackets, but that is not a big deal.

Smells real good too
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

G&B material inside the jacket....

Post by Texan Scott »

Question: The G&B website says that the Expedition lining is made of a polyester twill lining. My new jacket is made with a dark brown satin-type lining, with a black cotton type material inside the breast pocket. Of the two types of fabric inside the jacket, which one is the polyester twill? Is this configuration, the material inside the jacket, mostly how all of them are made? I received an off the rack 44 short before, which was returned due to body length, and thought that the lining was made of this black material? Maybe not?
nicktheguy
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by nicktheguy »

Welcome Jedimasterpaul -- now that you have your jacket....
;0