The Shoulder Bag... A question?

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Las Vegas Jones
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

The Shoulder Bag... A question?

Post by Las Vegas Jones »

The shoulder bag Is it Green or is it Tan?

The original I got is a tan canvas
Yet, I have see eBay auctions for bags that say they are original and they are green. Image
The costumebase replica I got as my first bag is green

It looks tan in the movies.

So, what is correct?
Mal
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Mal »

I've got a deep olive MKVII that can look VERY tan if caught in certain lighting - outdoors it looks more tan than green - as does a good friend's entirely green MKVII.

So the color in the movies most likely varies with each lighting set up and bag they used at the time. Best to just go with whatever you want in the look of your MKVII. Some members prefer tan and others prefer deep green.

Hope that helps.
Las Vegas Jones
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Las Vegas Jones »

Mine looks tan in everyday lighting, not with the flash just in daylight or house lights
I always thought it was tan even in the movies.
I have just seen so many different colors now I just wanted to see what everyone else thought

Last edited by Las Vegas Jones on Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
indyfyfe
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by indyfyfe »

Indy Magnoli started using a "Tanner" fabric on his Mark VII bags. I think original Mark VII bags become tan when left in the sun over the years.

Brad
Anderson
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Anderson »

It really is sort of a personal preference at this point, especially because the bag color seems to vary from scene to scene. I prefer a tanner look to the green ones, and the one in KotCS is decidedly tan, but all the same I'll be dying my Magnoli bag just very slightly olive to get the Cairo color. The ones I've seen on here that look like a deep green just don't seem accurate to me.

Magnoli's bag is an excellent way to go, the quality of it is top notch and the color is near perfect once you dirty it up.
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

That's a nice one Danny.

Even the real ones differed from one run of bags to the next. I've seen quite a few real MKVII's, and the colors can be wildly different. It is a matter of preference (or luck with the authentic bags).
Jonathan Jones
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Jonathan Jones »

I just picked up a (very) used MKVII that someone had cut the O-rings off of, so I took the webbing off the sides to begin restoration. The bag is very tan, but underneath the webbing you can see the original coloring which seems to be an olive-green. Behold:

IndianaBogart
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: ...listening to a tinny piano playing in the parlor downstairs....

Post by IndianaBogart »

I have an original unissued bag that I got from WPG and it's green, but not too dark. It looks very SOC.

conceited_ape
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by conceited_ape »

Danny Dravot wrote:I always thought it was tan also. That was reinforced early on when I stumbled across a MK VII at a gun show in '81 or early '82, and bought it for a couple bucks. At the time, I was a kid and thought it was "close enough," little did I know that it was pretty much the right model.

This particular make of MK VII doesn't show up over on the IndyGear site, so here are some photos:

It's either tan, or severely faded (although the inside is the same shade).
I also have an M H & Co bag with the rounded press studs on the flap. It's an Australian make.
IndyFalco
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by IndyFalco »

The color should be "olive green-ish"
Here's mine. It's from WPG with TODDs bag strap

Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Mine looks distinctly green in real life but once taken with the rest of the gear seems tan.

(Not helping I know!) :)

Minnesota Jones
Admin Emeritus

Post by Minnesota Jones »

From our main page on IndyGear.com....
There seem to be many different variations of the now famous MkVII bag. Color varies from mustard yellow (typically the Canadian ones) to an olive green.
So they can be either. 8)