Anyone with a G&B seal brown goat (not the dark brown)?

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

bobjones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Anyone with a G&B seal brown goat (not the dark brown)?

Post by bobjones »

I am interested in seeing posted pics of a goatskin G&B in the lighter seal brown, which is available, even though it isn't listed as one of the options on their webpage.

This is a sample of this hide from another of their jackets, and is closer to the "milk chocolate" brown I am seeking:

http://www.gibson-barnes.com/leather_m422a.html

Anyone?
Rundquist
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Rundquist »

Tollan
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Tollan »

You're correct. I asked about the nickel zipper a couple of weeks ago. I was told that this was not possible... I don't understand why though.
TheMechanic
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by TheMechanic »

Their website really needs to be revamped too. I was totally unaware that the jacket was available in other colors and other leathers. I'll have to see if they'll make me one in their mahogany horsehide. :D

When I bought my goat Expedition just 3 weeks ago the only colors listed were "dark brown" and "black". Not until I got their catalog did I see other options like chocolate brown.
Bowie
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Bowie »

I was lucky enough to have a jacket made just like rundquist's before the cut off. The dark brown was just too dark for me (it looked black), and I wanted a silver/nickel zipper, as I am not a big fan of brass/gold (unless we're talking about a knife's hand guard). I had help from some of the COW G&B experts, and they helped steer me in the right direction to get the EXACT jacket that I wanted. I would post picks, but to save time, take look at Rundquist's seal brown, and pretend the tag says 40T and that's mine :wink:

I love everything about it, it fits perfect (Raiders), feels like armor, and the smell....Oh God I love that smell!!

I'll try to get some pics up while wearing it..... soon or later....
bobjones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by bobjones »

TheMechanic wrote:Their website really needs to be revamped too. I was totally unaware that the jacket was available in other colors and other leathers. I'll have to see if they'll make me one in their mahogany horsehide. :D

When I bought my goat Expedition just 3 weeks ago the only colors listed were "dark brown" and "black". Not until I got their catalog did I see other options like chocolate brown.
The only other color available as of now is the lighter-colored seal brown, they will not make a hide other than lamb or goat.
bobjones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by bobjones »

Bowie wrote:I was lucky enough to have a jacket made just like rundquist's before the cut off. The dark brown was just too dark for me (it looked black), and I wanted a silver/nickel zipper, as I am not a big fan of brass/gold (unless we're talking about a knife's hand guard). I had help from some of the COW G&B experts, and they helped steer me in the right direction to get the EXACT jacket that I wanted. I would post picks, but to save time, take look at Rundquist's seal brown, and pretend the tag says 40T and that's mine :wink:

I love everything about it, it fits perfect (Raiders), feels like armor, and the smell....Oh God I love that smell!!

I'll try to get some pics up while wearing it..... soon or later....
Agreed, the G&B goat smells incredible.

The first agony is choosing a hide, then a color, then the right sizing...then it will be waiting, as they said jackets ordered today won't be available until Aug 1st. I guess its better to receive it then instead of May 1st, and get maybe 2 weeks of wear before sending it off to storage for 4 months.
bobjones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by bobjones »

Rundquist wrote:Here are some pics of the current light seal. The pics don’t really do it justice I might add. The jacket is not this shiny. The sun sort of blew out the color in these pics. If I were you I would get some leather samples from Gibson & Barnes.....PS- I believe that I got one of their last nickel zippers (for an expedition). I don't believe that it's an option anymore.
Thanks so much for the pics, Rund, they were ENORMOUSLY helpful. G&B should take them and put them on their site.

As for the silver zipper, this is an item I will press hard for, as the gold really doesn't look right at all.
IndyBlues
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndyBlues »

Here's a few pics of mine. this used to be Rundquists old jacket.
She's a thing of beauty, I tell ya! :D

Indoors with flash:

Outdoors in bright sunlight:

I love the color and fit of this jacket, but as you can see from the pics, it's very shiny. I think it needs a visit to the washing machine, like The Mechanics new G&B.
'Blues
Bowie
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Bowie »

I guess its better to receive it then instead of May 1st, and get maybe 2 weeks of wear before sending it off to storage for 4 months.[/quote]

Ahem....ya, that would be me.... A darn fine jacket, and let me tell you how good it looks just sitting there in my bedroom :roll: :lol:

At least Summer Solstice is behind us, and the days are getting shorter...... Not that it will make a difference in AZ for another few months....
Indy_1971
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Indy_1971 »

Wouldn't the "darker brown" be more SA to Raiders?
In all the photo's I've seen from the film, the jacket looks extremly dark, almost black at times; exactly like the "dark brown" offered at G&B.
bobjones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by bobjones »

Indy_1971 wrote:Wouldn't the "darker brown" be more SA to Raiders?
In all the photo's I've seen from the film, the jacket looks extremly dark, almost black at times; exactly like the "dark brown" offered at G&B.
Agreed. My rep at G&B describes the regular seal brown as a "milk chocolate" color, and the dark seal as a "dark chocolate" shade, it seems that they are not that far apart in shade, esp in sunlight, and the reg seal almost looks like a russet.
TheMechanic
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by TheMechanic »

When I ordered mine over the 'net I was told "2 weeks. We don't have any right now so we'll have to make it".

Bang, it was in my hands in 2 weeks. Awesome company & really nice people.
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

I talked to them today and they confirmed that lamb and goat are the two hide choices in dark brown, black, and the seal. Very nice people and very helpful.

As to the zipper (and I hope I'm getting the gist right), they explained that, since this is a production jacket (not a custom) if they switch zippers, it wouldn't be returnable. Dave, their historian, told me that they decided to not switch zippers as they would hate for a customer to, say, get a jacket that didn't fit to the customer's liking and be unable to return it because of a zipper switch.

I've got a couple of swatches on the way to compare. I'm leaning toward the seal. To me, it looks the most SA and, besides, I just like the look of it better. :)
bobjones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by bobjones »

crismans wrote:I talked to them today and they confirmed that lamb and goat are the two hide choices in dark brown, black, and the seal. Very nice people and very helpful.

As to the zipper (and I hope I'm getting the gist right), they explained that, since this is a production jacket (not a custom) if they switch zippers, it wouldn't be returnable. Dave, their historian, told me that they decided to not switch zippers as they would hate for a customer to, say, get a jacket that didn't fit to the customer's liking and be unable to return it because of a zipper switch.

I've got a couple of swatches on the way to compare. I'm leaning toward the seal. To me, it looks the most SA and, besides, I just like the look of it better. :)
Along with Aero, they are THE nicest people I have dealt with in a retail capacity. Endlessly patient, and they need it given my idiosyncracies.

They told me that too about the zipper, and while I would MUCH prefer a silver one instead of the bronze color, I was fearful of the return policy. Though at this point, its either a 44L or a regular, I am set with the color dark seal and goat hide choice.

The regular seal is a nice color, and looking at the swatches of both in front me now on a plain white desk, there is a difference to them, but it will probably be more pronounced in sunlight on a fullsize jacket. IMHO, I think the dark seal is more SA, at least to ROTLA, but hey, to each his own. The jacket is so well-made it really doesn't matter.
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

You'll have to post pictures when you get it, Bob. I can tell from your posts that you've been going through a lot of what I've been in deciding on what company, hide, size, etc.

I keep swinging in my head between durability, SA, and price. One day I'm going to get this jacket, the next day it's another one. I thought a second jacket would be easier than the first! :shock:
bobjones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by bobjones »

crismans wrote:You'll have to post pictures when you get it, Bob. I can tell from your posts that you've been going through a lot of what I've been in deciding on what company, hide, size, etc.

I keep swinging in my head between durability, SA, and price. One day I'm going to get this jacket, the next day it's another one. I thought a second jacket would be easier than the first! :shock:
After looking at the swatches, IMHO the lamb was just too delicate. I am kind of clumsy, and have gotten my FQHH caught in places where a lamb would have been just shredded. But against the HH, not even a scratch.

The G&B price is mostly fair, IMO it could be $100 less, but it is clearly a well-made product that has lasted many forum members here for years in good shape.

As for the size, I got chicken and added a 44Reg in addition to the long to try on and be absolutely sure by A/B'ing the 2 jacket sizes. Even if its going to cost me another $15 to send the one I don't keep back, when considering a $500 jacket, it definitely makes sense to be certain of the fit, and get others' opinions on it, like COWers here and people offline.

Analyzing the photos here and the one in their catalog, the dark seal seems to be G&B's SA color to satisfy those who want it to be like the movie, and the reg seal is offered specially for those who want a change of pace, something a little different. For the color, I can see why alot of people here who seem to have a few Westeds, dark seal G&B, etc. spring for a reg seal as something to round out their collection.

For me, assuming the SO would still talk to me after I bought 3 new leather jackets in a year, the next one after the G&B would probably be a US Wings CE, or perhaps their vintage cow. Their CE is gorgeous, and at $369 is the right price point IMO for these types of jackets. I just hope that US Wings is still offering the CE in a year or so, when I could spring this on the wife w/o getting a frying pan to the head... :oops:
BlueSkyz
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by BlueSkyz »

I'm sorry to hear they are being rigid on their options for the Expedition. I suppose they have been stuck with jackets that have had many options added then returned because the size was wrong or some other reason that is out of their control. Factor in their 'satisfaction ' policy of 'if you are not satisfied with your purchase' return it, their clearance rack would be pretty full [call them and ask what they have on their clearance rack,good deals abound].
G&B is a truely top shelf company as we have all found out over the years. They have in the past accommidated most wishes and desires of our COW family but they don't do custom work anymore,as far as I can tell. I have to admitt that they were VERY good to me because of a few problems with their QC and did their best to make me happy,which they did! The jackets made from their dark vintage nappa were done to keep me from flipping out and buying a Wested! I am however dissapointed that after posting pictures and getting everybody fluffed up that they won't budge from their leather options. Heck they make alot of their other jackets from different hides......I only tried to drum up some more business for them by posting their product that I am proud to own. And yes their website is pathetic,especially nowadays when website design is so easy.
So I have to apologize to anyone whom I got going about some other leather choices from them. Perhaps they will listen to our collective voices and step back up to the plate and allow some flexibility in their available options.
And by the way,my jacket is wearing awesome[although my AC bill will be ugly] it has loosened up and is soft and supple.
Last edited by BlueSkyz on Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bowie
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Bowie »

Blueskyz, I believe you nailed it when you say their clearence rack is full of returns that were non-standard products. Honestly I don't think they need to be as flexible as Wested, but by slapping on a non-returnable / non-refundable label on the customs they would save a lot of headaches. Either way I love my jacket, and I appreciate their level of customer service & professionalism. Renee Hunter & Dave Marshall of G&B are two awesome people, and I have nothing but high marks for both.
Raider S
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Raider S »

bobjones wrote:
crismans wrote:For me, assuming the SO would still talk to me after I bought 3 new leather jackets in a year, the next one after the G&B would probably be a US Wings CE, or perhaps their vintage cow. Their CE is gorgeous, and at $369 is the right price point IMO for these types of jackets. I just hope that US Wings is still offering the CE in a year or so, when I could spring this on the wife w/o getting a frying pan to the head... :oops:
I think you'll be very happy with the vintage if they no longer have the CE. But I have a feeling the CE will be around for a bit.

I can understand a company having some issues with custom orders - probably a difficult thing to deal with. But offering two choices of leather color seems reasonable - especially if they tacked on a added charge for the difference.
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

I think you'd be very happy with the CE. I have one and I really love it. It's quite a heavy jacket, however, and I'll have to keep it for winter use. That's why I'm looking for another jacket for fall/early winter use (that and I just want one :) ).

And there's no need to apologize, BlueSkyz. You're jacket looks terrific and I don't blame you a bit for wanting to show it off. Maybe it's better they're not doing nappa expeditions. It would be another attractive option that I'm not sure my poor head could take. :shock:
bobjones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by bobjones »

Hi all. Blue, after looking carefully at the dozens of great photos from everyone here, and the G&B catalog, the dark seal is a light enough brown, though a dark one fur sure, that I am comfortable with. As for the zipper, well...

I am in total agreement with G&B with respect to their limiting changes to jackets, and then getting screwed by as Stu C says, "tire kickers" who after getting a heavily customized jacket, change their mind and send it back, leaving a small businessperson with a load of product that is tough to sell.

We have to remember that the Expo is probably a VERY small part of their overall business, which translates to a need to reduce complications from making these jackets.
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

bobjones wrote:Hi all. Blue, after looking carefully at the dozens of great photos from everyone here, and the G&B catalog, the dark seal is a light enough brown, though a dark one fur sure, that I am comfortable with. As for the zipper, well...

I am in total agreement with G&B with respect to their limiting changes to jackets, and then getting screwed by as Stu C says, "tire kickers" who after getting a heavily customized jacket, change their mind and send it back, leaving a small businessperson with a load of product that is tough to sell.

We have to remember that the Expo is probably a VERY small part of their overall business, which translates to a need to reduce complications from making these jackets.
I admire their limited range - they stand by their product. The jacket is almost totally accurate. Any fine tuning is just for the fanatics. The quality is amazing and that's what really counts in leather, surely.
bobjones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by bobjones »

As a simple suggestion to possibly help those of you like me who are in the process of buying their G&B, once you get the swatches from them, place the dark seal and the regular seal on a plain black background.

On the black background, the brown tonations of the dark seal stand out nicely, and the reddish tinge of the reg seal is better exposed. It isn't a real red like the Aero brown FQHHs, but just a smidge of it.

When I put the swatches on my pure white table, the dark seal looked black, and the reg seal looks darker than it really is. This just didn't seem to show the true colors as well.
BlueSkyz
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by BlueSkyz »

So what did you decide on?? Dark seal goat??
bobjones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by bobjones »

BlueSkyz wrote:So what did you decide on?? Dark seal goat??
I have the 44Reg and 44L in dark seal on the way, should have them in about 2 weeks.

I went with the darker brown due to Rundy's pics on the grass, where the reg seal had an almost purplish red look to it. The dark seal, which was much closer IMO to your nappa, seemed to be a wiser choice.

I was leery of having 2 jackets that had too similar a color, because when I held the reg seal swatch next to the brown Aero I bought a few months ago, along with the posted pics, they just looked too similar in shade. Though I realize that an entire jacket might give a different coloring than just the swatch, but I felt more comfortable with the dark seal. This is a big reason I didn't customize at all; if I really don't like the dark seal on a full-size jacket, I will then order the reg seal.

I guess I just lack the imagination to be able to "project" that swatch to the look of a whole jacket ;)

Anyway, I don't think its a bad idea to have a few leather jackets with different looks and weights for different times of the year and casual vs. more "dressier" events, so next year, it'll be a US Wings CE, as although it is a brown similar to the others, it has a nice distressed look that the G&B goat or Aero FQHH won't obtain for about, oh 30 years or so...

That is, unless Mechanic get his hands on them with his washing machine technique :P