What's up with Winrich Whips??

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

Shawnkara
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

What's up with Winrich Whips??

Post by Shawnkara »

Thought I'd ask here before I bother calling Adam and bugging him...

Is he currently making only IOAB whips? From the looks of his site, that seems to be the case! :shock: :(
Indiana Williams
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Williams »

When I emailed him last month he said he wasnt making roo whips anymore?
Best Regards,
Joe
winrichwhips
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by winrichwhips »

Well, I happen to be making a kangaroo whip right now for a friend of mine who I met in California, and she's Hungarian and she's in Hungary right now getting me a genuine fancy hungarian whip to trade for the 'roo whip I'm making her.

When this whip is done, it's back to IOAB whips.

However, I'm willing to take orders for 8- and 12-plait cowhide whips from COW members.

-Adam
Last edited by winrichwhips on Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Herr Doktor
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Herr Doktor »

winrichwhips wrote:It always seems that people who order whips from me want them yesterday, and I feel bad my turnaround time is once again two months.
Not all of us who order from you expect it yesterday. Some of us are willing to wait 2 months for a quality item! ;) \:D/

Hang in there Adam.
TurnerME
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by TurnerME »

Adam, I will take this opportunity to ask about the deer hide whips you used to offer. Do you still work with that type of hide? What is your opinion of how well deer hide performed and held up? Thanks.
winrichwhips
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by winrichwhips »

TurnerME,

When I could get deerhide tanned in the US, it would have a really high tensile strength and would make a good whip, and the whips would usually be more limber than kangaroo whips. I'd say it holds up a little better than cowhide.

I understand that now most deerhide is tanned in China, and I've seen that the quality has really dropped off. I particular, the area in the hide right by the tail always seems to be weak, and this part needs to be strong if I'm going to make a whip longer than 5 ft.

-Adam
Luke Warmwater
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Luke Warmwater »

If folks want a whip RIGHT NOW, they can get one off of eBay and when it turns out to be a POS they will happily wait for a quality whip from someone like Adam. At least that's my story.
Boggstandard
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Boggstandard »

If one gets a "POS" whip from eBay, it's because they don't know much about whips, they don't do any research, or they expect something for nothing.

There have been, and continue to be, some terrific whips from top-notch makers, available at reasonable prices, from eBay. But, one must be patient, be able to be discerning, and be willing to pay the price for quality.

I assure you that you can get "duds" directly from some makers as easily as you can from eBay.
ichnob
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by ichnob »

Adam,

As a soon-to-be owner of your IOAB whip and it being my first named-maker whip, I'm hoping that all will go well. I've had nothing but courtesy from your e-mails and PMs, and I really enjoy watching the demos you've put up on Youtube. Personally, I feel like one of those people putting pressure on you by hoping that the whip be made before next month's event, and for that I apologize. If it can't get made, there should be no reason for you to stress. I can wait as long as you'd like me to. Seriously, two months time for superb quality should be cakewalk for people who wait for custom-tailored clothes and ABs. I hope to one day add one of your cowhide whips to its sibling IOAB. Keep up the great work (and Youtube vids).

Best regards,
Dennis
jabahutt70
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by jabahutt70 »

Thanks for saying that, Boggstandard. If you buy a POS whip off ebay, it's your own fault. There almost always seems to be a nice used whip from a well-known maker, as well as brand new whips on there. Do some research and ask questions.

Steve.
Luke Warmwater
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Luke Warmwater »

Boggstandard wrote:If one gets a "POS" whip from eBay, it's because they don't know much about whips, they don't do any research, or they expect something for nothing.
Hi, how ya doin' That was me. :oops: