Indy jackets w/ Fuller's Earth:

Discuss technique for prolonging the life of your gear or giving it that aged look

Moderator: Dalexs

Captain D
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Indy jackets w/ Fuller's Earth:

Post by Captain D »

Hi guys!

I've been contemplating purchasing some fuller's earth to an Indy jacket that I have here. I've been going back n' forth over to fuller's earth or not to fuller's earth, lol.

I'm not keen on the idea of using sandpaper, acetone, pocket knives, ect to distress it. I'm just trying to give it that safe, yet, distressed look. In order to help me decide, would anyone happen to have any good pics of their jackets that have fuller's earth? I did a quick search, but nothing on jackets came up. If I missed a thread, I apologize, but I look forward to seeing any fuller's earthed jackets... :wink: (Mods - if this has to be moved to the gear care section, that's cool).

Thank you for any pics!
Aaron

- also - does the fuller's earth wipe away if I were to treat the jacket, say w/ Pecards? Therefore, it would have to be re-applied, is that correct?
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

I hope Indyakin doesn't mind me posting this picture of him here, but I think it's a great example of Fuller's on a jacket.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee16 ... MG2859.jpg (It's a little big, so there's a link)

I think Fuller's earth is a fantastic way to distress jackets temporarily and still have them look great. I don't know about putting Pecards on *over* it, but if you use a really lightly dampened cloth you can just wipe it all off - or you could probably even just shake your jacket it and it'll come off. It's very temporary, and looks great without permanently ruining your jacket. It may dry it out a little though, so after you take it off, just throw the Pecards on there and it'll be good to go!

If you do put it on, I would suggesting being pretty generous. Maybe IndyAkin can give some input too, having worn his around with the stuff on, but in my experience, it may even come off *too* easily, and prematurely - however, perhaps Akin's experience is contrary to mine, and hopefully some others will chime in with their experiences and comments regarding the longevity of a Fuller'd jacket. :wink:

Hope the helped some!

Shane
Captain D
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Captain D »

Thank you for the reply & for the pic!

I think I'm sold on the fuller's earth. I'll probably order from Todd's ASAP. As a side note, the fedora looked awesome also...right from the Cairo scene in Raiders! Thank you again for the reply and pic!
Kindest regards,
Aaron
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

Venky
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Venky »

I tried putting some on for the party I had not too long ago and it came off pretty fast. I take it you have to put quite a fair amount on to make it stay on better, or is there a trick to it?

-TLF
Captain D
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Captain D »

Agent5-Awesome pic my friend-well done! 8)

I'll probably treat my jacket w/ some Pecards and then apply the fullers earth. Thank you once again for the responses and pics!
High regards,
Aaron
IndianaJack91
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndianaJack91 »

agent5 wrote:Image
pretty cool looking
IndyTaz
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndyTaz »

:D I have always loved that pic of Agent5's "Raiders."

I have a suggestion. I was going to a convention and didn't have time to order any Fuller's earth to use on my costume. So in a pinch I purchased some cheap talcum powder. I think it worked ok. Came off really easily:) Plus I smelt nice. he he So if you want something for a Convention and can't find any Fuller's earth I think it's a cool option.

TAZ
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

gear looks great my friend..

I just realized...after so many years this is actually the first time I see what you look like...

regards
Eric
IndyTaz
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndyTaz »

:lol: Well there ya go...hope I didn't dissapoint? he he

Of course I am pretty dishevelled...these Conventions sure do take it outta ya.

Cheers
Christain