CS gunbelt and bagstrap

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

IndyK
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

CS gunbelt and bagstrap

Post by IndyK »

With alle the COW people having been more or less involved in the making of KOTCS, how come we dont have more information about the gunbelt, the bagstrap and the buckles?

If it was all made in-house they must at least have bought the buckles somewhere.

The bagstrap was clearly darker and appeared thinner than in the previous films, so who can tell something about its origin?

If anyone can help me find the source of the CS gunbeltbuckle it would complete the picture for me :D

Cheers
Indy-K
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

Hi Kent,

the bag and strap has a rumor that it is an old bag from the archives...so we might maby look at an old ToD or LC bag?

bests
Holt
IndyK
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by IndyK »

Yes, I've heard and read the same rumours, but the gunbelt buckle in CS is a totally new design with part of the buckle bend more backwards than the buckles seen in the previous films.

Gery Deer has some gunbelts with buckles that seems spot on, but he does not sell buckles separately:

http://www.thewhipstudio.com/holsters.htm

Cheers Indy-K
Dutch_jones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Dutch_jones »

Indiana Holt wrote:Hi Kent,

the bag and strap has a rumor that it is an old bag from the archives...so we might maby look at an old ToD or LC bag?

bests
Holt
I have seen big pictures from LC And the bag and strap are the same as some scenes in LC.
rebelgtp
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by rebelgtp »

IndyK wrote:Yes, I've heard and read the same rumours, but the gunbelt buckle in CS is a totally new design with part of the buckle bend more backwards than the buckles seen in the previous films.

Gery Deer has some gunbelts with buckles that seems spot on, but he does not sell buckles separately:

http://www.thewhipstudio.com/holsters.htm

Cheers Indy-K
That actually looks like just the standard buckle you could get at any leather supply shop.
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Castor Dioscuri »

Indiana Holt wrote:the bag and strap has a rumor that it is an old bag from the archives...so we might maby look at an old ToD or LC bag?
I wonder if this rumor is true, since I'm sure they would have needed more than one bag for the stunts and such. And even if they used it for the hero bag, I'm sure they would have treated it like a sacred object! ;)
IndyK
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by IndyK »

rebelgtp wrote: That actually looks like just the standard buckle you could get at any leather supply shop.
You may be right - only problem is that I dont have a local leather supply shop around that has this exact buckle.
Castor Dioscuri wrote: I wonder if this rumor is true, since I'm sure they would have needed more than one bag for the stunts and such. And even if they used it for the hero bag, I'm sure they would have treated it like a sacred object! ;)
I've compared photos from CS with some high res. photos from LC and the bagstrap itself looks very identical - thinner and darker than Raiders. The buckle is different as we know, but can be supplied by Lee Keppler.

The gunbelt buckle is very different from ROTLA and ToD, because of that funny backwards-bend where the leather surrounds it.
If any of You can find a spot-on buckle like that, I'll be happy to buy it from You.

So far I've only seen it at thewhipstudio and I just may end up buying it there, even though it costs a b..... fortune to import it here to europe :x

Cheers Indy-K

BTW. Castor: Off topic - Do You have the same feeling that I have, that Peters novapelle prototype looks exactly like the jacket Harrison wears on the pr-photo with gun in hand, the "part time" one????? :shock:
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Castor Dioscuri »

IndyK wrote:
Castor Dioscuri wrote: I wonder if this rumor is true, since I'm sure they would have needed more than one bag for the stunts and such. And even if they used it for the hero bag, I'm sure they would have treated it like a sacred object! ;)
I've compared photos from CS with some high res. photos from LC and the bagstrap itself looks very identical - thinner and darker than Raiders. The buckle is different as we know, but can be supplied by Lee Keppler.

BTW. Castor: Off topic - Do You have the same feeling that I have, that Peters novapelle prototype looks exactly like the jacket Harrison wears on the pr-photo with gun in hand, the "part time" one????? :shock:
In my opinion, for what it's worth, I'd think that they'd probably use an all new bagstrap(s) as well, instead of relying on reusing ones from the archives, especially since they'd need dozens of straps for filming. Also, if they replace the buckle, wouldn't it also be easier to replace the strap entirely? I'd imagine that the buckles on the old straps would be in better condition than the straps themselves, anyway!

And to answer your second point, just going by the glimpse of lining in that PR photo, I'd have to say the jacket is a Nowak, since Peter's jacket linings tend to be brown, while Nowak uses a blackish-blue lining which is what we see in that photo.
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

K

Post by knibs7 »

ya, the rumor is CORRECT- the bag HF used in KOTCS was the same one he used in LC
Wade Egan
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Wade Egan »

I have found the belt buckles from the films and have them available buckle only if you would like. PM me if interested.

Here is what I have found in my extensive research on the straps:

The origianal Raiders strap was a 1 inch unbeveled 8/9 oz. strap with edge grooves that were almost completely worn down from view by the costume department so that the grooves are only visible on the bottom of the strap toward the bag rings. The buckle was military issue standard Eastern European leather rifle sling slider buckle which was flat and polished.

The rest of the straps were beveled (-1/16th") and a 7/8 oz. leather therefore needed a smaller buckle. The buckle they chose was a 7/8" English bridle buckle with a roller which are very hard to find in the US. I believe Keppler has them pretty spot on. I will have some shortly as well. In the LC and KOTCS the buckle was given a slight bend outward.

The difference in the belts are that the Raiders belt was a 1 1/2" width with dark brown leather, attached whip holder, metal keeper, and ten holes punched to the end cut.
The TOD belt was a dark brown leather 1 3/4" belt with leather keeper and a shorter end cut with 7 holes.
The LC belt was a lighter brown leather but still a 1 3/4" belt similar to the TOD but with a longer end cut and again 7 holes.
The KOTCS belt is a 1 1/2" lighter brown belt with leather keeper and extra long hang. Indy wears it on the first of the 7 holes and backward position to the other films.
Here is an excellent screen shot showing all of the KOTCS gear:

WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

The one question I have is why does he buckle from left-to-right? He was always doing right-to-left in the other three films. I know -- stupid question, but for some reason it bugs me -- but, that is me! W>
gwyddion
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by gwyddion »

As I heard it it was because otherwise it wouldnt be possible for Indy to have his whipholder and whip after the sovjets took away his gunbelt. When the buckle is on the right hand side, the whipholder must be removed from the webbelt in order to remove the gunbelt, but if the buckle is on the right hand side, they would only have to slip the end of the belt through the whipholder.

Regards, Geert
weaponx24
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by weaponx24 »

i would love to get my hand on the KOTCS bag strap and belt...and the holster for that matter!