Complete Making of Mistake

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Thousand Truths
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Thousand Truths »

Just finished reading The Complete Making of Indiana Jones and caught a mistake. They name Steve Delk as Steve Dell. Someone should get a whipping for that. :whip:
mufflowne
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by mufflowne »

They should get a whipping for a few more errors in these books, like the "soft wool felt" in the DK guide to indy etc.
conceited_ape
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by conceited_ape »

Steve... DELL? :shock:
UTTER BLASPHEMY! :evil: OFF WITH THEIR HEADS! :twisted:

No, really. Can we hurt someone? ...Please? 8-[
gabrielle
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by gabrielle »

conceited_ape wrote:Steve... DELL? :shock:
UTTER BLASPHEMY! :evil: OFF WITH THEIR HEADS! :twisted:

No, really. Can we hurt someone? ...Please? 8-[
Line 'em up!!!

:whip: :whip: [-X [-X
Vegeta
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Vegeta »

Seriously.......Bunch of idiots...didnt someone proof read this thing?
blueoakleyz
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by blueoakleyz »

I just saw the Ultimate Indy guide at borders and they had a big two page photo/diagram showing what each piece of equipment is. They had a picture of KotCS Indy with an AB and they pointed to it and said it was an HJ from London. Irritating...
schmidty612
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by schmidty612 »

Very good points all. But can you imagine if all of us tried to put a book together like that? All the details we know? The thing would come in 15 volumes from Time Life and each one would weigh 8 pounds!! (Read the Book!! remember those?)
IndianaBogart
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: ...listening to a tinny piano playing in the parlor downstairs....

Post by IndianaBogart »

I just saw the Ultimate Indy guide at borders and they had a big two page photo/diagram showing what each piece of equipment is. They had a picture of KotCS Indy with an AB and they pointed to it and said it was an HJ from London. Irritating...
Yes I noticed this too. VERY irritating. :evil:

Let the beatings begin. :whip: :whip: :whip:
JerseyJones
Vendor

Post by JerseyJones »

That's it, where's my table leg with teh railroad spike in it !? I'm drivin to the publishers office ! :evil: :twisted:

JJ
DoubleOhSeven
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by DoubleOhSeven »

schmidty612 wrote:Very good points all. But can you imagine if all of us tried to put a book together like that? All the details we know? The thing would come in 15 volumes from Time Life and each one would weigh 8 pounds!! (Read the Book!! remember those?)
Heh heh that's funny!

Right next to the Time/Life books on "Plumbing and Kitchens", "Decks and Patios", "The VietNam Conflict", would be - - -

"The Truth (At Least They Think So!) About Indiana Jones"
kiltie
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by kiltie »

There is an up side:
At least that means they're not implying ABs are made of wool. That and, jus' to be nitpicky, there was no Adventurebilt ( or else that puts Fedora somewhere around 100 yrs old :shock: )
myamoebafriend
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by myamoebafriend »

I wonder if this means AB will now start making computers....
Treadwell
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Treadwell »

All of The Ultimate Guide descriptions are "in universe". Since HJ supplied the Raiders hat AND was around in 1936, it's understandable if they went that route. No excuse for the "wool", though. ;)

They also misnamed the Aldens, which were also around in the 30s, so another lash with a wet noodle.
Zach R.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Zach R. »

What did they call the Aldens? :-k
Shorty
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Shorty »

They said they were a pair of red wings that Nadoolman brought to the character. I blanched when I read that. :!:
Bruce Wayne
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Bruce Wayne »

JerseyJones wrote:That's it, where's my table leg with teh railroad spike in it !? I'm drivin to the publishers office ! :evil: :twisted:

JJ
I call shotgun!!!
dr. tyree
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by dr. tyree »

AAARRRRRRRRRGH! This is a big deal to us, people. Can you PROOFREAD your own hack work?!?
YARVTON
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Proofreading

Post by YARVTON »

It's sad, but proofreading, copyediting, and fact-checking are sloppily done these days -- fitting though for our dumbed-down, lowest-common-denominator society. Just closely read The New York Times, America's "paper of record" and count the mistakes! I was reading a book the other day where in one sentence somebody's name was misspelled, and in the very next paragraph spelled correctly. Now that's bad proofreading.
Terrasolo
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Terrasolo »

If my finace was the editor this mistake would never have happened (she edits menus when we go out to eat ;) ) it's a shame that it did happen though because this is a great book and everyone involved deserves fair credit.

I have to add that I am glad Ken sent me here too because now I will be aware of who Steve is and of this mistake and that counts for something. While the mistake may go unnoticed by those not in the know, word of mouth will educate them.
Gater
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Gater »

Terrasolo wrote:If my finace was the editor this mistake would never have happened (she edits menus when we go out to eat ;) ) it's a shame that it did happen though because this is a great book and everyone involved deserves fair credit.
am I the only one to find it ironic that he mis-spelled "fiance" ?? :lol: :lol:
Terrasolo
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Terrasolo »

Gater wrote:
Terrasolo wrote:If my finace was the editor this mistake would never have happened (she edits menus when we go out to eat ;) ) it's a shame that it did happen though because this is a great book and everyone involved deserves fair credit.
am I the only one to find it ironic that he mis-spelled "fiance" ?? :lol: :lol:
oh no! I did! and she was so impressed when I wrote it to her the first time and spelled it right! lol

however, ironic it is not, as I laid no claim to be an editor. In fact I am a terrible speller and make no claims otherwise lol esspecially when i type as I think the words faster then I can type them and I type pretty darn fast. So I usually end up leaving out letters or whole words becuase in my head I have moved on from them. One of my constant spelling errors would be the word their, I always spell it as "thier" no matter how many times I do it.

Perhaps next time I will have my Fiancee spell check my response ;)

but back on track, as I said, no matter the error in the book, people will hear about it.
rrhanselka
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by rrhanselka »

Worse than that, The new "official" magazine doesn't mention his name at all. It only says that they found a guy whose hobby was making hats. Talk about"dissed". WOW!!!!

Many Regrets
Randall
Indiana MarkVII
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana MarkVII »

I think I've made up my mind. When I hear about something like the number of errors in that book, I develop a negative attitude about it and can't bring myself to spend any money on it. The writers, editors, and publishers are all to blame, and for that many mistakes to slip through is inexcusable in my world. I believe (Though I haven't tried looking for them yet) that there are fewer errors of grammar, spelling, or misinformation in the newly designed and well-written pages of Club Obi Wan.
YARVTON
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

So many errors

Post by YARVTON »

Club Obi Wan is well-tended indeed. But one of the great advantages to forum like this is that posts can be updated anytime and instantly. I've appreciated the ability to edit my own postings, since I can misspell, mis-speak and make mistakes galore.

I would suggest all bothersome and glaring errors be sent to the publisher since newer editions and perhaps even newer printing may be corrected, if only by insert. Worth a try, yes?