The price of wearing Aldens

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Pyroxene
Admin Emeritus

The price of wearing Aldens

Post by Pyroxene »

The topic about the high price of Aldens comes up frequently. Outside of the fact that Aldens were used in the 3 movies, this is about using those shoes in everyday life like we often do.

Not too long ago I spoke to a man who was helping me with some clothes. He was very aggressive with his merchandise but very nice and understanding. When the topic came to shoes, the conversation went something like this:
Sales Clerk: Anything else you need, I have it. You need pants? Accesssories? Shoes?

Pyro: No, thanks. I have shoes.

SC: You sure? I have really good shoes. Very nice shoes. What kind of shoes do you have?

P: Aldens.

<Long pause from Sales Clerk>

SC: Aldens? Those are good shoes. How much did you pay for them?
He then proceeded to tell me that Aldens are the last hand made shoe company in America. All other handmade shoes are made in Europe. Now I haven't researched this to confirm it. But, he is a professional in the trade so for now I'll take his word for it.

Yes. Aldens are pricey. But, when you buy a pair you are not just buying shoes you are buying into a reputation of quality and style. Here are a few words from a book I am reading. It is talking about people shying away from quality shoes due to the price.

Anyone who is not in the fortunate position of being able to choose the best for every detail of his apparel should allocate his budget so that a generous chunk of it is earmarked for the purchase of good shoes. If a trainee or student has 600 dollars a year to spend on clothes, for example, he should plan to spend half of it on a pair of shoes. Better still, it should all be invested in shoes: he will need at least two pairs, for shoes ought to have at least a day or two to recover after every time they are worn.

The far from inconsiderable prices...will be almost enough to put many a man off the idea of buying shoes at all. But the recommended antidote for anybody who feels this way is to visit a good shoe-shop. Take a pair of Church's or Alden shoes in your hands and examine them really closely, and you will see the care and craftsmanship that goes into every detail. Often the owner of the shop, or even the salesman, will himself be wearing Church's, Alden or some other make of comparable quality - and with a bit of luck they will be old, but well cared-for and patinated, enabling you to see that it is in every respect well worth spending money on good shoes.

I hope this helps.

Best Regards,
Pyroxene.
Last edited by Pyroxene on Wed Feb 26, 2003 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bogie1943
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Bogie1943 »

Yes indeed, I don't ever recall anyone every bashing the high quality of the Aldens, I for one never have and never will mind you. They are certainly worth every penny in the long run, long lasting, well made shoes they are, (Yoda moment). I have had them for two years, going on two and a half now and they are still going, they need new heels yes indeed. However I have never had a single problem with mine where I had to have them repaired so far. Best shoes I have ever had. As I always say "Nice things cost money"
Sergei
Admin Emeritus
Location: Off the grid, in from the cold - Jack's Canyon ~1119

Post by Sergei »

Hmmm.... I beg to differ on the last hand made shoe in America. "Allen Edmonds" shoes are made in Wisonsin. Allen Edmond shoes are all handmade, hand stiched in their Wisconsin factory. They are considered the "Rolls Royce" of the shoe market.

The Edmonds are my dress shoes that I have been wearing for years. They are higher in price than any Alden's. They are hand made and have the same "repair" and "restoration" policy as the Aldens. I have 4 pair of the Allen Edmonds, and they are clearly the bomb in quality and comfort. But their boot version looks to dressy and of course I prefer the Aldens 405's.

-Sergei
Indydawg

Yeah, and I'll interject here too....

Post by Indydawg »

In MY personal experience, the Alden boots have NOT been all they are cracked up to be. First off, I've received boots with stray stitching, boots where the leather footbed had been cut into with a knife or something like that, boots where the heels were of different sizes/widths, and even one where the heel of the boot had been cut into. THAT doesn't sound like quality workmanship to me, and certainly indicates a lack of Quality Control in their "handmade" shoe distribution.

So, just to be giving the flip side of the Alden experience thus far, I have not had the greatest of expriences with Aldens myself.

Later!
Indydawg
Rick Blaine
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Rick Blaine »

I was going to say Allen Edmonds.

I was at a car show last weekend hunting for 1936 Ford parts, and came across two vintage pairs of Allen Edmond wing tips (black and white, and brown and white) each for $50. I have seen new Allen Edmond wing tips go for as much as $500, unfortunately, my father has never heard of Allen Edmonds and this ended the tale of the wing tips. Luckily I crossed paths with an older gentlemen who has graciously offered me half of his vintage collection because of a recent relocation. He said he has a few pairs of Allen Edmonds from the 40's and 50's, they belonged to his father who was a professional swing dancer.
Chamorro
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chamorro »

I was having tea with some friends a while back and one of them complimented me on my Aldens. She is British. She said, "you don't see very many handmade shoes anymore." I gather one does see them in Europe.

Maybe I'm being gauche but how do you know a shoe is handmade just by looking at it? I can't tell. I guess some people just have an eye for it.
Mystique
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Mystique »

Pyroxene, was that book by chance a guide for gentleman's dress?
I think I have perused it at a local bookseller. Nice presentation,
especially the historical photographs. The Alden photo could you post it?
Pyroxene
Admin Emeritus

Post by Pyroxene »

Mystique wrote:Pyroxene, was that book by chance a guide for gentleman's dress?
I think I have perused it at a local bookseller. Nice presentation,
especially the historical photographs. The Alden photo could you post it?
There are a bunch of shoe pics in this book. I don't recognize one pair as being Aldens. That's not to say it's not illustrated, I don't have the eye to see different shoe makes on sight. Yet.

Yes. The book is called The Gentleman's Guide to Grooming and Style by Bernhard Roetzel.

The book is an attempt to provide a comprehensive description of the proper style of attire for a gentleman. Anyone who dresses as described in this book can be sure that he will look well-dressed, whether he is in London, Paris, Brussels, Düsseldorf, Rome, Milan, New York, or Tokyo.

My sister picked it up on the clearance rack at a book store. She gave it to me as a present.

It complements this site very well. It touches on many of the subjects that are discussed right here in this board. Overcoats, Hats, Shoes, Shirt material, Slacks, Bow ties, gloves, scarfs, etc...

It explains why, like Henry Jones, men carried umbrellas with them and where you can pick one up. It mentions the suitcases similar to what Indy packed in Raiders. It describes things that the trilogy didn't touch on like Cigars, pipes, flasks and watches.

Names and materials are mentioned in this book like we mention them here. Cavalry twill, tweed, Herbert Johnson, Alden, swiss cotton.

Like MK said, "I will not have my wardrobe be dictated by what they wear on Friends."
If this site has taught me one thing, it's the importance of looking good, being pratical and remaining timeless.

Cheers,
Pyroxene
Indydawg

Man...

Post by Indydawg »

That sounds like an extremely cool book.

Later!
Indydawg
Rundquist
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Rundquist »

Good clothes are much more economical in the long run. They usually last much longer. Many people never pick up on this point. Another thing (which was already mentioned) is that shoes need to air out after being used. It will make them last much longer. Cheers
Indiana Joe
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: Man...

Post by Indiana Joe »

Indydawg wrote:That sounds like an extremely cool book.

Later!
Indydawg
Like you need another book! :P Just kidding, man. You should see my library. I'm sure Mrs. Joe will tell y'all about it b/c she says I need a whole 'nother room but that's a discussion for later.
Pyroxene wrote:It describes things that the trilogy didn't touch on like Cigars, pipes, flasks and watches.
Yet the Raiders novelization had Indy take a swig from his flask right before he swiped the fertility idol from the temple. I guess flasks may be for yet another thread but it is Indy-related.
Pyroxene
Admin Emeritus

Re: Man...

Post by Pyroxene »

Indiana Joe wrote: Yet the Raiders novelization had Indy take a swig from his flask right before he swiped the fertility idol from the temple. I guess flasks may be for yet another thread but it is Indy-related.
I didn't know that. I guess I need to read the novels to learn more.

Thanks.
IndianaJames
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndianaJames »

Sounds interesting - I only wish the Aldens hadnt made that $100 or so jump in price. Id like to own another pair, but.....

As with INDYDAWG my first pair of Aldens had crooked stitching on the toe, but it was no problem at all. On my newer pair, the heel came loose, I had them repaired locally, and Alden sent me a check in the mail to pay for it!! At least your paying for customer service also!

Cheers
I J