Just a few words about Anthony Delongis

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

vtella
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Just a few words about Anthony Delongis

Post by vtella »

Hi all

I just wanted to say a few words about Anthony DeLongis.
I was out in LA a couple of weeks ago and while I was there Anthony invited me out to his ranch. Well I wasn't really prepared to go out there as I was in the middle of a trade show but I did want to meet him in person as we had been talking back and forth on the phone for a while. I made him one of my "Viper" fighting whips. So I rented a car a drove out there on Sunday evening. I arrived at about 8:30 pm and was met by Anthony at the bottom of the hill he guided me up to the house which is about 2 miles away up a very steep dirt road. It's a good thing too because some of the road is very narrow and bordered on each side by very long drop. On the way we stopped by his friend David Baker's house to pick him up because Anthony wanted us to meet. David is a sword and weapon maker for the movies he does some fantastic work. At any rate we get up to the house and we are met by Anthony's wife Mary who is a wonderfully sweet woman and a very charming hostess. The four of us went out to the gazebo Anthony and I smoked cigars while David enjoyed his pipe we had a few drinks and told all sorts of stories and tales from our past. It was great fun and loads of laughs. The view from that Gazebo is fantastic even if it was dark out. I can only imagine how wonderful it would be in the light of day.

While Mary went into the house to get dinner started Anthony and I started showing off whips and got into a bit of cracking and sharing techniques. It turns out we both share fundamentally the same way of throwing a bullwhip. I must say that while it is not exactly the same technique that some would say is the "right" way,... what ever that means ... Anthony's way of throwing a bullwhip is perfect for film work. It is very accurate and keeps the whip in frame which is very import. Also it is very well suited for martial arts use as well. I would say it is far more accurate than most ways, because while most performers will cut targets out of someones hand that are 6 inches long using a standard circus crack Anthony's technique will give you the pin point accuracy that will allow you to cut a 1/2 inch target out of someones hand ... if you so desire.

We got so involved sharing back and forth we where like a couple of school kids it was loads of fun so much so that we both totally missed the dinner service. When we finally got inside to eat Mary and David had already finished. LOL Our sharing was non stop all through dinner both of us talking with our mouths full and just having a great time doing it.

After that it was getting pretty late and I had to get going so Anthony guided me back down the hill and we parted with a promise to do it again.

I didn't get back to the hotel until about 2am but I must say it was time well spent. Anthony is a true "man's, man" very down to earth and very easy going as well as being an absolute Master at what he does he is very genuine and just a hoot to hang out with. If you ever want to learn how to use a whip, sword, knife ore just about any other type of weapon I suggest you get in touch with Anthony and book a visit to the Rancho Indalo - http://www.delongis.com/indalo/index.html. You won't regret it and the memories will stay with you forever. Not to mention you will be learning from the best in the business.

Now I have to get back to making your whips. Just thought I would share this with you all.

All the best
Victor Tella
http://www.SnakeWhip.com
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

Great story! When I went up to see Anthony in December, it was pretty much the same thing, except there were more of us visiting him so it wasn't as intimate. That hill is a killer though, isn't it?? MAN! It's especially scary having those few dead cars down at the bottom. :lol: I remember telling somebody, "That's the last guy that tried to get up to Anthony's place..." And of course Anthony came down in his big 4x4 to pick us up and bring us up the hill. He's definitely a "man's man" though, and he just radiates with kindness and I don't think I'll ever meet a more down to earth man. He's also very patient and when he watches you crack, if he sees you make just the slightest error, he'll kindly point it out and ask you to try again. Very patient teacher, and very very knowledgable. You really missed out on a great view though! During the day, it's gorgeous!

Where did you guys do your throwing? When I was there, we cracked in the little corral area where he keeps the horses, and those darn things are not afraid of the whips at all! :lol: You'd be cracking your whip and they'd come up behind you and put their noses all over your neck. :lol: #-o

Mary is also a wonderful lady, and was very gracious having us all in her home. Although we left before dinner time, she did make us sandwiches and served us chips and dip, as well as gatorade-type drinks.

I love his technique - I think it looks awesome, neat, (I hate sloppy whip cracking, and I'm always trying to work on my form), and still powerful.

Shane
BullWhipBorton

Post by BullWhipBorton »

Hi Victor, Welcome to Indygear and Club Obi-Wan.

What a great story, Thank you for sharing your experiences with Anthony, that was a very enjoyable read. I also couldn’t agree more, he is both a consummate professional and gentlemen, Mary is quite charming as well.

Dan
Shagbd
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Shagbd »

THATS EXCELLANT!!
I know David Baker!! Ive bought several swords from him.......
cool beans!

I gotta get out there to Cali to see Tony....... good stuff~
kooniu
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by kooniu »

It pleased him "viper" ?

kooniu
Boggstandard
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Boggstandard »

An interesting story.
It is great to see Vic Tella, a very fine whip maker, on board.
FloatinJoe
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by FloatinJoe »

Victor,

As Shane said, when we went up there last winter, it was a blast and his driveway is kinda wrong. I didn't like trying to drive my car up it.

I'm actually headed up there on Monday morning for a two-day training session with him. I can't wait to get there. We'll be doing whip work of course, but we're planning on branching off into some of his other specialties.

One of the things I'm really excited about, is a brand new whip that I had made by TheEdge. I'm bringing it with me and I'm sure it will be broken in by the end of the trip. The whip is a beauty, and I want Anthony to use it and show me what can be done. That way, I don't have an excuse for not being able to do cool tricks :lol:

I'm glad you enjoyed your trip. I'll let you know how mine goes.

Mike
kooniu
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by kooniu »

Mountaineer Lasher
Archaeologist
Archaeologist
Location: Finally back in the States, having taught North Korea a lesson with his bullwhip.

Post by Mountaineer Lasher »

I'm also curious what Anthony thought of your Viper whip, Victor, especially since he's such an advocate that the whip can be a useful and effective defensive weapon.