Thought I'd ask the experts

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

carolinamike
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Thought I'd ask the experts

Post by carolinamike »

I'm looking to buy a fedora, but I'm a recent college grad with very little money. So, while I would love to order a beaver felt like an AB or a Camptown, I cannot right now afford it. I was just wondering which of the less than $100 fedoras would work the best. I was considering ordering a Nostalgia from the Stetson Outlet Store and abashing it myself. Just wondering if the forum could help me.
Thank You,
Mike Wallace
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

fed 4 standard is just over a benjamin....but you'll still need some change for the shipping. akubra is the best bang for the buck in turn-around and cost imo.
blueoakleyz
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by blueoakleyz »

OO I just graduated college too
I'm going to order the Fed IV
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

My advice: forget the Stetson and save a few extra bucks for an Akubra Federation IV. By far, the best bang for your buck, as was stated earlier. With the shipping charges though, it may be in your best interest to pruchase a Keppler or a Camptown.

Dave
Fink
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Fink »

I love my Christys'!

I got mine from:

http://themovieshop.com/
carolinamike
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by carolinamike »

Now I'm known to be a little rough on my hats. Will the Fed IV or the Christy's stand up to overseas travel, deserts, and/or the inside of a bag?
Fink
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Fink »

Christy's have stand my use so far, haven’t tested it for real yet. Still, I know these are like Gremlins; don’t ever let them get wet or you will regret it!!! :lol:

So, I guess a Fed IV is what you are looking for after all. :wink:
gabrielle
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by gabrielle »

Go with an Akubra Fed. even if it is a little more. It will last forever, is screen accurate and there's little wait time.
The Aviator
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by The Aviator »

Yeah the federation is by far the best choice...I have yet to get an IV but im pretty sure my old one could take a bullet and come out looking all the better....There TOUGH as nails imo...and to top it the new IV is far more screen accurate with height and ribbon and all :lol: ...its a no brainer for a reasonable fedora with screen accurecy with Steve Delk's recommendation!! :)

Cheers
PyramidBlaster
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: "Tampa, Florida--Or, how I learned to stop worrying, and love the Bomb..."

Post by PyramidBlaster »

I can do nothing but second the Fed IV recommendation---I have 2 Deluxes, and they're absolutely top notch...And tough as nails!
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

For just a little over $100, you just cannot beat the Fed.
Georgia Jones
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Georgia Jones »

Ditto all comments re: the Fed, great hat, have a Fed III deluxe and a Fed IV reg, love em' both...b.t.w., did not realize Stetson was offering the Nostalgia again, when I started looking about 6-8 months ago, they did not have them, even at the oulet...
carolinamike
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by carolinamike »

What's the difference between the Fed IV and the Fed Deluxe? Akubra doesn't have them on their website. Hats direct just says that the Fed IV has Akubra Imperial Quality felt and that the Fed Deluxe has the highest quality felt.
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

fed iv has an upgraded sweatband and further pouncing on the 'highest quality felt'.
carolinamike
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by carolinamike »

So is that a rabbbit , rabbit/beaver, or rabbit/wool? They never mention the material.
scot2525
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by scot2525 »

Not wanting to be repetitive but the Fed IV is absolutely outstanding. I just recieved mine today. I am still working on getting a bash I like.

If I ever decide to replace my Fed IV it would only be for a HJ Poet sable from Indy Magnoli or Todd's costume and I would have both bash it for me.
Mississippi Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mississippi Jones »

Fed IV Fed IV Fed IV Fed IV Fed IV Fed IV Fed IV
Piker
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Piker »

carolinamike wrote:So is that a rabbbit , rabbit/beaver, or rabbit/wool? They never mention the material.
All rabbit.
Piker
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Piker »

carolinamike wrote:What's the difference between the Fed IV and the Fed Deluxe? Akubra doesn't have them on their website. Hats direct just says that the Fed IV has Akubra Imperial Quality felt and that the Fed Deluxe has the highest quality felt.
Deluxe is sanded and finished a little finer and from slightly better fur.
Georgia Jones
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Georgia Jones »

I believe the fur is from the underbelly of wild hares...gotta love those specifics...
Doctor_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Doctor_Jones »

Fink wrote:I love my Christys'!

I got mine from:

http://themovieshop.com/
Fink, does the chrysty's look like that in the picture? got any pics of yourself? they look quite great. no?
anyone else got some feedback about these fedora's?
Indiana Strones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Indiana Strones »

Fed 4 forever!!! :D
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Just to keep things democratic, if you're wanting to delve into the world of 'custom', you may also want to look at the Peters Brothers soft rabbit/hare blend Indy fedora too.

Custom made to order, and $200 plus shipping. A bit more than the Fed IV deluxe, but like I said, custom made.

Something else to ponder.

Regards! Michaelson
ob1al
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by ob1al »

We're so lucky these days, there are such a lot of great options out there!

The more the hobby develops, the better for the fans.

I'm (once again) hatless at the moment as my AB deluxe found it's way onto a 'celebrity' head, no less!

But I'm looking at a Fed IV for my next hat-related purchase. :)
PyramidBlaster
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: "Tampa, Florida--Or, how I learned to stop worrying, and love the Bomb..."

Post by PyramidBlaster »

I'm (once again) hatless at the moment as my AB deluxe found it's way onto a 'celebrity' head, no less!
:-s :?: :?:
ob1al
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by ob1al »

Keep watching 'mythbusters'. :wink:
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

So, he finally decided to move away from an Akubra and get an AB, eh? VERY good! :D :wink:

Regards! Michaelson
ob1al
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by ob1al »

Indeed - I'm waiting for it to show up on TV so I can bore my good lady with cries of 'Look! There's my hat!'. :)
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

ob1al wrote:Indeed - I'm waiting for it to show up on TV so I can bore my good lady with cries of 'Look! There's my hat!'. :)
what's the myth? if a fedora can actually be stapled to your head to prevent it from blowing off while riding an arabian horse? adam is gonna need some band aids for this one........ :lol:
ob1al
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by ob1al »

:lol:

Maybe they could see if a hat will stay on one's head after three waterfall drops..? :wink:
Piker
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Piker »

Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

not fair, he's using a chin strap......cheater.........

it seems the train is tipping on this thread, i'll give it a good kick back on the tracks.

i ordered a fed 4 deluxe on the weekend as i don't have a fedora to go with my gear {ducks a punch from my wife}.....all right, i don't have a KOTCS fedora to go with my {steps away from a kick from my wife}....'k, i wanted i hat that i could practice throwing on the pavement and pick up and put on my head while staring at my shadow (r u happy honey?!?!).

i confirmed with jenny at hats direct to measure that hat so that it fits my noggin as there has been some sizing issues. i believe she's in the air right now.

from what i've seen of the felt, it looks very smooth and rich....i can't wait to bash it. will post pics when she gets here.........
carolinamike
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by carolinamike »

Thanks for all the help guys. I guess I'm going to order a Fed IV. I still wish I could get an AB though. Maybe in a couple of years.
Georgia Jones
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Georgia Jones »

you'll be happy with the new fed IV deluxe, I have the fed III deluxe and a reg. fed IV, the deluxe is much softer than the reg., the reg. almost felt like cardboard out of the box, but since I have been breaking her in she is getting nice and soft...has just taken longer than the deluxe...love em both...
ob1al
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by ob1al »

The only difference is the deluxe uses the better quality felt, then?

Is there also a colour difference between the regular and deluxe?
Piker
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Piker »

http://www.hatsdirect.com/federation/felt.html
Imperial Quality
Akubra Hats reputation for tough wearing qualities and fine fedora styles is based on this grade of felt. It is tough, hard wearing and can take any punishment dished out to it. These hats like hard wearing.

The Heritage Quality
This felt is a relatively recent addition and is made from finer fibres taken from a select part of the rabbit pelt and mixed with the native Hare resulting in a grade which is denser and smoother than the Imperial grade. Parts of the pelt not required are discarded. It is more stable over time and less prone to shrinkage and distortions such as the tapering of the crown.

The Heritage Grade is the closest rabbit fur grade to Beaver Felt.
As far as color goes, you would need to ask the SA HardCore.
Last edited by Piker on Wed May 28, 2008 3:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
PyramidBlaster
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by PyramidBlaster »

Keep watching 'mythbusters'.
Adam finally retired his hat? Awesome! Man, those two are what I dream of doing when I grow up....

NICE!
carolinamike
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by carolinamike »

http://www.hatsdirect.com/federation/felt.html

Quote:
Imperial Quality
Akubra Hats reputation for tough wearing qualities and fine fedora styles is based on this grade of felt. It is tough, hard wearing and can take any punishment dished out to it. These hats like hard wearing.

The Heritage Quality
This felt is a relatively recent addition and is made from finer fibres taken from a select part of the rabbit pelt and mixed with the native Hare resulting in a grade which is denser and smoother than the Imperial grade. Parts of the pelt not required are discarded. It is more stable over time and less prone to shrinkage and distortions such as the tapering of the crown.

The Heritage Grade is the closest rabbit fur grade to Beaver Felt.

As far as color goes, you would need to ask the SA HardCore.
So is that saying that the Fed IV is tougher than the Fed IV Deluxe, or that the Deluxe is just as tough but softer?
Digger
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Digger »

And again, call Lee Keppler I have a 4 year old Keppler and have a new one on order
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

I believe he is upping the beaver content and changing the ribbon. I think that is all, but I am not sure. If the manm himself could shed some light on the matter, that would be great. I have to say, I am loving my Keppler and could not possibly be happier with it. I believe he told me that the batch of felt he had for my hat was recieved from Fedora. I may have missunderstood him though. If that one is in the running, my vote goes for the Keppler. You won't be let down.

Dave
Last edited by DR Ulloa on Wed May 28, 2008 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

Just the beaver content and ribbon as far as I know. When we spoke, he didn't mention different crown heights or brim widths. I believe it is just that. I also remember him mentioning something about a new sweat band, but that I am unsure about.

Dave
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

I believe the price is going up to $175. Not a bad deal. I would have paid $175 for the current Keppler. I guess that would put the hat in direct competion to the Camptown Fieldmaster. Two different animals though, totally different hats.

Dave
Lee Keppler
Vendor

Post by Lee Keppler »

Boy, let me nip this in the bud! Fedora does NOT supply the felt. This a higher grade of Portugese felt obtained by Beaver Brand. The new crown is now 5 1/2" unbashed. The ribbon is dark brown. The brim is 2 1/2" on the sides and 2 3/4" front and rear. This felt is very soft, resulting in a very comfortable hat to wear.

Now, should they have a white liner or a gold liner? I may run a seperate post on this. All in all, this is a hand bashed, very high quality factory hat. I am quite proud of it.

I know,"this thread is worthless without pictures", but I'm an old guy and a bit challenged when it comes to things like this. I can e-mail a pic I took with my phone of the prototype, however. My daughter may be able to walk me through my new camera.

I have a big batch arriving in about 3 weeks. :wink:
carolinamike
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by carolinamike »

If Indiana Jones had really existed back in 1936---assuming that he was, after all, only a fictional character---what kind of fedora would he have worn? Something brown and broad-brimmed, obviously, but would it have had his name stamped in gold on the sweatband and a little logo pin with his name on the hatband?

No, all those modern reproductions you can buy at Disneyland and so on are pale imitations of a classic original---a traditional fedora in rich brown fur felt that Indy probably bought off the rack in some upscale big-city haberdasher's shop before years of gritty adventure, combined with dust and sweat, turned it into the personal trademark that we have come to know and love. As a cultural icon, it ranks right up there with Dorothy's ruby slippers, Sam Spade's trench coat, or Darth Vader's helmet.

The hat Indy bought in 1936---when Harrison Ford was still just a twinkle in his daddy's eye---might well have been something like this vintage fedora from the venerable (and now defunct) New York/Boston haberdashery Rogers Peet, which first opened for business in 1874. This hat's probably not as old as 1936, but it has just about the right style to capture the Indiana Jones mystique: 2 1/4" brim; tall, vertical 5" pinch-front crown, and wide 2" grayish-brown grosgrain ribbon hatband to match the color of the felt. The inside is unlined; the brown leather sweatband is gold-embossed with the Rogers Peet script and the model name EDGELEY. The size tag is marked 7 1/4, and the interior circumference is almost 22 1/4".

This is a high-quality, well-made hat. Just run your fingers over that soft fur felt: it's gotta have a high fur content, maybe beaver. Look at the classic welted edge on the brim: that's what they used to call the Cavanagh Edge, a felted-in welt with no visible seam or stitching, very expensive to make. This is no cheesy Disneyland hat!

Condition: Although it has a vintage look about it, this old fedora hasn't seen much adventure so far. There are no apparent rips, holes, moth bites, or globs of organic crud; your biggest clue that it's been around the block a couple of times is the small worn spots on the welt around the bottom of the sweatband, and nobody will ever see that if you don't take the hat off (and Indy never did, did he?).
Found this on ebay. What do y'all think. Anyone heard of these hats?
Lee Keppler
Vendor

Post by Lee Keppler »

Actually, the old blocks were 5 1/4" where the new blocks are 5 1/2"
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

Sorry, didn't mean to mislead anyone. Like I said, I had probably misunderstood and now I know I did. I may pick up another hat, Lee. My father really liked the one you sent me last week. Let us know when you get the new hats in.

Dave
Lee Keppler
Vendor

Post by Lee Keppler »

When you see all the posts from happy owners , you'll know they have arrived! :wink:
YARVTON
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Attention: Lee Keppler

Post by YARVTON »

Are you still offering the Indy Fedora in "China Clipper Gray"?